Sambos

AngieK

Oct 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My husband used to manage a Sambos. When the tore it down he rescued the pictures. We've shared them for 36 years. Recently took them to an antiques roadshow every and almost made it on the air. Wondering if anyone remembers these? They are the more rate ones made with cut glass. One is signed by the artist. IMG_4029.JPG IMG_4025.JPG IMG_4026.JPG

Upvote 5

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember in grade school we had an older lady that would substitute and read "Little Black Sambo" to us. Those were different times......

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember in grade school we had an older lady that would substitute and read "Little Black Sambo" to us. Those were different times......

I remember that book too! My aunt would read it to us and we went and saw 'Song of the South' at the theater...Then got a couple copies on VHS for my birthday and Christmas...Disney Banned It from the USA after receiving complaints on it being racist??? I Still have my tapes... I should convert them to DVD I guess. They are high dollar collectibles...if you ever see them at sales..Buy and Sell! Especially if they are in the box with original cover. You can't sell them on EBay though.

Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
My husband used to manage a Sambos. When the tore it down he rescued the pictures. We've shared them for 36 years. Recently took them to an antiques roadshow every and almost made it on the air. Wondering if anyone remembers these? They are the more rate ones made with cut glass. One is signed by the artist. View attachment 1642275 View attachment 1642277 View attachment 1642278

My cousin worked at Sambos in KCMO and her first husband managed it. She still has menus and some other Sambo memorabilia...None as Cool as yours are though. Those are awesome!

I'd check on sites that specifically deal in Black Americana..I've done that with stuff I've had/have and there's not any negative discussions there. You might even see if anymore info is to be had at whatever Black History Museums are close to you. They could want you to discuss them and the history.

I donated some things to the KCMO museum and they wanted me to talk about them. I didn't, but I did write a short history about where the stuff originally came from. They were things that had belonged to ancestors.

Thanks for posting those...brought back some good memories!

Kace

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Sambo's here was sold and became a Denny's. I remember it well. Those would do very well at auction.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a good restaurant so was Bill Knapps

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from A2 MI Tommy

Lamy Lineman

Sep 27, 2014
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Equinox600, Whites MXT all Pro, Whites XL Pro, Whites Bullseye, Deteknix X-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ate @ a Sambo's in Santa Barbara CA. I believe it's the only one left. It might even be the original one. Very cool items. And welcome to TN...

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Some history:
Lamy, you are correct. The SB restaurant was the first and the last Sambo's. The first Sambo’s was opened in Santa Barbara in 1957. By 1977, when the son of one of the founders was heading the company, the chain was the country’s largest full-service restaurant chain, with 1,117 units. Because of the name connotation, many Sambo's restaurants were renamed "Jolly Tiger"; others became known at "No Place Like Sambo's". Still others were renamed 'Seasons'.

On its website(https://sambosrestaurant.com/), it continues the threadbare tradition of justifying the name as a compound of the founders’ names.
Don,.

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
My mom still has her Little Black Sambo book at her house. We read that growing up. Funny enough, my son's grandfather is Peruvian and is darker skinned, so my son calls him Sambo.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
The Sambo's here was sold and became a Denny's. I remember it well. Those would do very well at auction.
The ones that were around here are Denny's now as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread