Old Indian site, Spanish gold mine, & Good Hope gold mine

Lamy Lineman

Sep 27, 2014
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Equinox600, Whites MXT all Pro, Whites XL Pro, Whites Bullseye, Deteknix X-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use to live tween Lk. Elsinore & Perris CA. There was an old Indian Village, Spanish Gold Mine, & the Good Hope Gold Mine in the same general area. It was surrounded by a rural residential area. As the story goes the Spanish came and demanded the Indians show them where they found their gold. As it turns out there was a lot of gold around.
Pic one shows Indian village & gold mine
indian 2.jpg

This pic shows #1 mine entrance, #2 mill stone, #3 creek bed, #4 Indian village
mine.jpg

The mill stone was not always visible as the sand would wash over it.

In 2002, we had a really wet season. The little creek had an ample wtr in it. I set up my sluice and well, I found what is the best looking gold, I have ever found.
DSCN1434.jpg DSCN1398.jpg

I also found, in my sluice box, this 1878 seated liberty dime. Meant this was mined for a long time.
DSCN1410.jpg DSCN1418.jpg

Awhile later, a developer, was running a bulldozer near the site, and hit an Indian burial area. I was looking around, and found a Mano. ( Indian grinding stone.) It had scratches on it from the bulldozer.
DSCN1392.jpg DSCN1393.jpg DSCN1395.jpg

This my collection of Mano's. Most were found in CA., I've found them here in NM too.
DSCN1391.jpg

This pic are the tailing from the Good Hope gold mine.
good hope tailings.jpg

This pic is the general area
good hope area.jpg

The Indian village actually had an old homestead built right on top of it.I think it was in the 1930's. It was said that the black dirt at the sight was 3 feet thick, and had been there for hundreds of years.
indian site.jpg

Thanks for looking, and Happy Hunting...

Upvote 4

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread