Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May not be enough detail. I have about 20 just like that and they are just to far gone. I am sure Crusader and some of the other guys have hundreds of them like that. Its still cool to have though. I have made a couple of them worst by trying to clean them. Electrolysis may work but never tried it on one of them. Good luck with it,it is a nice piece of history..

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
I have an identical coin in almost the same condition. And no electrolysis! That's a Roman broze, they are actually cast, not struck. Ultrasonic cleaning is the safest and surest way to clean. Otherwise, leave as is.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This probably isn't the exact one, but it is the right reverse & Emperor.

Type: 337-361 (Constantius II) Æ3
Obverse Legend: DN CONSTANTIVS PF AVG
Obverse: Diademed draped and curiassed bust right
Reverse Legend: FEL TEMP REPARATIO
Reverse: Soldier spearing fallen horseman, horseman faces soldier and raises left arm
Exergue: ΓSIS
Reference: RIC VIII-350 (Siscia)

http://www.lotn.org/~calkinsc/coins/000141.html
See 6th coin down.

Why clean it, it looks great!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good eye Crusader! I could not see a thing on it. Of course you have about 100% more knowledge then me in Romans. ;) Really cool link also.

Gunner

Dec 19, 2004
Since the emperor is bare-headed it is either Julian II or Constantius Gallus. Constantius II is not pictured bare-headed (always pearl diademed) on his Fel-Temp Reparatio Fallen Horseman coins. I am fairly certain that is Julian II by the style of the portrait. He is a scarcer emperor to find on this series; however, not rare by any means at all. This coin is rated Scarce in R.I.C. however I cannot pin down the exact RIC number due to the condition of the coin (Many listed variants..all scarce).

Gunner

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gunner said:
Since the emperor is bare-headed it is either Julian II or Constantius Gallus. Constantius II is not pictured bare-headed (always pearl diademed) on his Fel-Temp Reparatio Fallen Horseman coins. I am fairly certain that is Julian II by the style of the portrait. He is a scarcer emperor to find on this series; however, not rare by any means at all. This coin is rated Scarce in R.I.C. however I cannot pin down the exact RIC number due to the condition of the coin (Many listed variants..all scarce).

Gunner

Well done, wondered where you were. I admit not putting much effort on this one, thinking your be here soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread