Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2018 was a good and a bad year. Good as most of my trips were productive, I got something. Bad in that my hours in the field were greatly reduced. The ol' cat is getting old and the cat arthritis is getting to me.

January started out with a 2 piece Confederate buckle and soon after my first and only gold ring for the year. I only went to the beach a half dozen times instead of the dozens and dozens of times in 2017. The gold ring was found in a field. My other rings and coins were found at the beach.

The spring was spent on five sites, three colonial and two Civil War. Numerous 17th century items were found including a silver groat (I don't think I posted it), I just refound it in the house the other day, several complete and a few damaged 17th century buckles and buttons. I did very well with 18th century buttons, dozens and dozens of them, two pair of silver cufflinks, 18th and 19th century, dozens and dozens of KG I, II and III coppers and some early US coppers and silvers. Most of the US coins didn't look too good.

The one CW site produced numerous bullets and the second site Union bullets, buttons, a few small medicine bottles, percussion caps, a few Indian cents and flying eagle cents, and all kinds of other camps stuff, with one breastplate.

The Washington Inaugural button was found at the beginning of summer when it started getting too hot to dig, so after that weekend and with all the flooding we had this year, I started looking for Indian artifacts. I went several times to Flint Ridge, Ohio and did very very well at Ms. Nethers' farm. She is one cool lady. I went to the flint knapping thing in the fall, and tried my hand at it. That was interesting but that would be the end of life for me if I had to knapp to survive. I did manage to make small rocks out of larger ones! But at least I tried.

At the one park after a super low tide I (legally) found a 100 year old beer bottle washed out of the sand! That was a surprise.

This fall's season just started a few weeks ago and I have a few riker mounts of fun stuff from colonial sites and CW sites. The escudo was found with some colonial buttons in a nail pit and coal infested field. It is damaged slightly, a little bent, and scratched and worn, but I will still keep it.

A trip to NY state produced some nice colonial and Rev War items including items from the early contact period of American history.

I"ll probably go back to the gold coin site. Sunday I couldn't move very well but took two friends out to my one favorite spot and they got a half dime and a seated dime, some minies and a horseshoe. They were found right next to recently filled dig holes left from our previous trip. We keep missing stuff there!

If you want any pics let me know. I'm off to Wallymart if they're open as this keyboard is giving up the ghost.

Last edited:
Upvote 8

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A banner year in anyone's book! Even with not hitting on a couple of cylinders.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm running on 3 out of 6 cylinders right now. One thing: going slow has it's advantages. Most days I don't wind up more than 100' from where I started detecting, and it's working.

Yak1366

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett ATPro, ProPointer AT, Retriever II
Primary Interest:
Other
Still one gold coin more than I found this year...

Congratulations on your 6th Banner!!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great year, congratulations! :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a banner year in my book also thanks for all the great posts you've shared with us Next year will be even better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions