From The Past - Old Cavalry Fort Finds

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is one of my great old finds from yesterday. Yesterday being back when I was in high school in the early '60's. I used to live within driving distace of an old Army Post/Fort. It was abandoned back at the turn of the century (1900). When I made these finds, it wasn't a state park, but it is today, so I will not include the name of the fort. I used to go out and just surface hunt the area, as I was a poor kid and didn't have a detector.

I would drive to the fort, get out and just start looking around. The buildings were all gone, but there was still some foundations visable, and I would look around them. The first picture contains some of the old military buttons and other glass buttons that I was lucky enough to pick up.

Picture 2 shows a few of the great marbles that I was also able to find. I really liked the old "Onion" marbles, as well as the old "Crock" ones.

Picture 3 shows numerous pieces of old clay pipes that littered the ground back then. I remember thinking that I would be lucky enough to find a complete one, but I never did.

Picture 4 shows some of the pieces of pottery, glassware, and dishes that were also all over the place. I only kept a few pieces, and they had to be very pretty or have some type of writing on them. There was just too much other stuff to pick up to worry about a few pieces of broken glass.

I'll add additional photos to this story as I complete it.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 1,526
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 1,530
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 1,523
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 1,501
Upvote 0
OP
OP
nebstater

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Part 2

There was also many old pieces of metal laying about. Picked up some that I knew what were, but were many that I didn't. Picture 5 shows some of the stuff that I acquired. It includes a couple of gun hammers, a collar stud, some buckles, and a shoe hook.

There was also some old doll parts, so we know that some of the soldiers had their family's on the post (picture 6).

There was some complete bottles found, and I picture a few here. The small tall one, I have no idea as to what it is. The other one is a hand blown ink well. It must have been in a fire, as it has been stained white in places (picture 7)

I was also lucky enough to find the old firing range of the post. Went walking out in the field where it was at, and old shell casings, slugs, and complete shells were laying everywhere. (Picture 8) shows some complete shells that I was able to find. They had all been fired, but must have been duds, because they were still intact. This shows a selection of the shells that I was able to find. Somewhere, I have a cigar box full of old casings and slugs that I found, but I don't know where it is at this writing. Will find it and take a photo and add it to this posting.

Continued on next post.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 1,512
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 1,514
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 1,519
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,516
OP
OP
nebstater

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Part 3

While searhing the old firing range, I was also able to come up with some nice mini balls. Picture 9 shows one of the slugs that I found and some of the mini balls. Note, that one of the balls has slammed into something and is half way flattened.

Picture 10 shows another very unusal find at the fort. While walking across the firing range looking for shells, I came across this neat old canteen. It required a cork top. The shape of it looks like to cresent moons that have been sodderd together. I would have thougth that it would have rusted away long before I found it.

My best find at the fort, is (picture 11) an old cavalry spur. It is made of brass, and really shined up nice. Can't tell it now though. The straps were gone as was the rowl on the back of it. But, what the heck? I can live with it.

The last picture shows a blow up of the arm coming out of the back of the spur and the number 40 showing up there at the juncture. Not sure what this means, but definately a decent find.

I know that this wasn't found with a MD, but for a 16 or 17 year old kid out looking for stuff, it was a real haul. Hope you enjoyed my trip back to my childhood.

Larry

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,500
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 1,504
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 1,514
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 1,487

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is great!!!d2

WilliamBoyd

Sep 22, 2007
California
I wish my father had saved some cavalry stuff.

He was a member of the US Army's 13th Cavalry Regiment at Ft. Riley, Kansas from 1926 to 1928.

OP
OP
nebstater

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
willieboyd2 said:
I wish my father had saved some cavalry stuff.

He was a member of the US Army's 13th Cavalry Regiment at Ft. Riley, Kansas from 1926 to 1928.

Was he one of the unlucky ones that had to go chase the Mexican outlaw Ponco Via?

OP
OP
nebstater

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
willieboyd2 said:
The Pancho Villa chase occured in 1916.
My father's commanding officer was in that action.
His commanding officer then, lived here in Lincoln. His name was John J. Pershing. Ended up being Supreme Commander in WW 1.

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Congratulations on all of those many great relics found at the fort. I completely agree with you on the marbles, they are really very cool ones.

Rev

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have found a spot that all of us dream about ! Coin shooting is great but relics are where it is at . True history there . Huge congrats . I was with a friend that picked up a real nice pipe bowl in a field and ever since then I have wanted one.I found pieces of stem but that was it. Thanks for sharing. Really nice pieces for display.

OP
OP
nebstater

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
birdman said:
You have found a spot that all of us dream about ! Coin shooting is great but relics are where it is at . True history there . Huge congrats . I was with a friend that picked up a real nice pipe bowl in a field and ever since then I have wanted one.I found pieces of stem but that was it. Thanks for sharing. Really nice pieces for display.
Thanks for the kind words. I didn't really know if I should post that stuff or not. I agreee with you, in that MDing is fun, but relics are my passion. That's why I collect political items. Have stuff clear back to Washington. Maybe someday, I'll post some of that. You wouldn't believe how you can trace the history of this country thru the items that were used in campaigns for office over the years. Thanks again.
HH Larry

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
That canteen is VERY impressive. I am guessing that the fort had to be Indian Wars era ? The buttons look like they are from that time frame, but it must have older stuff in there too if you found the round balls. Too bad you didn't have a detector back then, if you found all that surface hunting you would have cleaned up with a machine.

OP
OP
nebstater

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gribnitz said:
That canteen is VERY impressive. I am guessing that the fort had to be Indian Wars era ? The buttons look like they are from that time frame, but it must have older stuff in there too if you found the round balls. Too bad you didn't have a detector back then, if you found all that surface hunting you would have cleaned up with a machine.
Yeah, the fort was built to help with the indian problem at the time. The War between the states, was going full bore, and Nebraska was told that if they would raise a third unit, that half of them would be left here to help fight the indians. When the unit was raised, the whole unit was sent off to war. Several small forts were scattered along the Oregon Trail and other trails west, but with most of the men off fighting, the indians saw their chance, and many homesteads, wagon trains, and even a few stage coaches came to early ends. The small forts were maned for a time, and then as the indians went west, they moved the forts west. Today, it is just really tough to find anything to do with the units, that isn't in a State Park, or on an Indian Reservation, where you aren't allowed to hunt. I'm just glad that I was able to come up with what I did. Again thanks for the kind words.
Larry

OP
OP
nebstater

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
chong2mry said:
i like them all, especially the buttons and grenade?
Grenade? What grenade?

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
sorry, i shoulda read instead of just looking at the photos:) nice canteen

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread