• Picture 025 (3).jpg
    Picture 025 (3).jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,191
Upvote 0

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
From the looks of it and the ring at the end of the handle, I'd guess it was lost by someone building the original bridge! The ring on the handle would be for hanging on a tool belt!(these days they have a hoop on a tool belt for the hammer) Great and interesting find! HH omnicognic 8)

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
What an awesome find!!! I would have to go with omnicognic, and say the samething, about it being one of the original tools used to build the trusle. Might even be a museum piece if the trusle has a lot of history...
Congrats!

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
Mojjax, Love the hammer,I collect old tools and love the old tool relic finds.I would check the old rail ties and look for some dated nails,would display nice with it.HH

R

rvbvetter

Neat hammer!!! I was gonna say for bumpin train tires. WTG!! HH

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Great find, possible used to work on the cars or to knock bums off from under the train as suggested by rvbvetter. Any why it is a cool find.

tammahawk

Mar 8, 2005
mojjax said:
I found this old hand forged hammer while MD'ing? 100 yards from a RR trestle on the bank of small river . It weighs 3.5 lbs , 12'' tall . The claw is 5 3/4 '' . it looks real old .
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Mojjax
one of them ole train hammers they used to tie a rope to and drag it under the train to knock the bums off ?

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
one of them ole train hammers they used to tie a rope to and drag it under the train to knock the bums off ?

I saw that movie too. If you let the rope out while the train is moving, that hammer would be deadly ricocheting off the rail bed, underside of cars, and such. Of course back then, the railroad dicks weren't as easy going.

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Nice hammer Mo. I gotta get me one of those... It'll go great with the holes in my knees, the hole in my pocket and the hole in my head! ;D Sweet find, keep doin' it~CO2

gsmeiers

Nov 25, 2004
Appleton, WI
mojjax said:
I found this old hand forged hammer while MD'ing? 100 yards from a RR trestle on the bank of small river . It weighs 3.5 lbs , 12'' tall . The claw is 5 3/4 '' . it looks real old .
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Mojjax

Nice find!!!

I need to leave my front yard and go detect someplace else!! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread