Pine Tree Shilling

Upham

Feb 27, 2019
North Attleboro, MA
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, AT Max & ATX (new)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever since I was a kid I've wanted a metal detector. I used to work at Bass Pro and about three years ago I spotted a Tectonics 4000 in the store and bought it. I took it out a couple times in the yard really didn't know what I was doing. I knew where there was a very old granite quarry way out in the wood and decided I would metal detect it. I found shotgun shells, old metal fence posts tin cans. I soon realized I had to get going because I had to go to work. So I bee lined it through the woods swinging the detector at the same time. I got a nice tone knelt down and dug up some really thin piece that I thought was the cap of a champagne bottle so I stuffed it in my pocket and high tailed it back to my truck. When I got to my truck I emptied my pocket and took a better look at my find and still had no idea what it was. I have a buddy that did some metal detecting so I sent him a picture and asked if he knew what it was and he called me some bad names said I was a liar and that I didn't find it, I was just teasing because I knew he wanted to find one of them. Still not knowing what I had I told him I just dug it out of the ground. He wanted to meet me and look at it so we met at BPS and thats when he told me it was a pinetree shilling. I had no idea!
I took it to a coin show and had a couple coin dealers and they thought it was worth somewhere in the vacinity of $2500 to $7000. They said I should have it appraised. I sent it to PCGS and when all was said and done I paid $350 for them to tell me it was genuine, it has very fine details and it was environmentally damaged and wouldn't appraise it. I love this coin, it is an important part of our history. I will never sell it and it will some day belong to my grand son who I hope will value it as much as I do. I doubt I will ever top this find but I keep on trying.
front 1652.JPG pinetree shilling 2.JPG PCGSpinetree.JPG PCGSpinetree2.JPG

Upvote 47

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting those pics! Congrats again on such a bucket-list find. Was this your first coin found ?

I used to traipse through an old quarry in Taunton called "the ledge" but never used a metal detector there - it was very trashy. The attraction of the flooded quarry was all the smallmouth bass. I often cut through that quarry area to reach the RR tracks where I would rescue turtles, especially wood turtles. Maybe I should have been swinging a detector in those woods!

OP
OP
Upham

Upham

Feb 27, 2019
North Attleboro, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you believe it! Yes, it was my first coin!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That may be the best "first coin" of this forum!

Definitely worth many more return trips.

Last edited:

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a killer for your first, what a beautiful coin, congratulations on the save

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beauty! It has great detail, the environmental damage should not effect the pricing much, put it in a safe place!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a beautiful Mass Silver! NOE 16? I don’t have my book in front of me but I believe that’s the variety. Unlike you I had been staring at these coins in books and studying the history of them. When I made my lifetime wish list a Mass silver was at the top of that list. I remember the day I pulled mine out of the dirt so vividly....I felt like I was floating lol. An incredible feeling indeed. I would be heading back to that area and hunting every square inch. Congrats on such an incredible example. They don’t get better than that. As Smokey mentioned once you get into the age, rarity and desirability of these types of coins that Environmental Damage tag has little to no effect.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truly a great find, especially for your first. I'm curious why PCGS charged you $350? I thought they slabbed coins for $50? What am I missing? Gary

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truly a great find, especially for your first. I'm curious why PCGS charged you $350? I thought they slabbed coins for $50? What am I missing? Gary

Hi Gary,
I’m not positive but I believe the more valuable the coin the higher the rates likely due to the risk of them damaging it.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Gary,
I’m not positive but I believe the more valuable the coin the higher the rates likely due to the risk of them damaging it.

I stand corrected. This coin isn’t nearly valuable enough to be elevated to that category. I just looked at the rate chart again and have no idea why the op had to pay so much

OP
OP
Upham

Upham

Feb 27, 2019
North Attleboro, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I can't remember exactly but when I looked into PCGS I thought you had to join. I don't remember what membership cost. Then I had to insure the coin for what I thought it was worth, to and from PCGS. A coin dealer that said he used to grade coins told me he thought it was worth between $2500-$7000. The paperwork was very confusing I just remember at the end of it all I was out $350. It really doesn't matter to me because I love this coin and will never sell it, I just wanted it graded.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't remember exactly but when I looked into PCGS I thought you had to join. I don't remember what membership cost. Then I had to insure the coin for what I thought it was worth, to and from PCGS. A coin dealer that said he used to grade coins told me he thought it was worth between $2500-$7000. The paperwork was very confusing I just remember at the end of it all I was out $350. It really doesn't matter to me because I love this coin and will never sell it, I just wanted it graded.

At the end of the day a small investment for an amazing coin. I think you have the best signature on Tnet lol

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! What a nice specimen. Great detail on that one.

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Oh my gosh! That thing is absolutely stunning. When you really think about it, every coin that got touched after leaving the mint has “environmental damage”. Some of them might have oily hand smudge marks, others discoloration from dirt. Amazing find!!

HIGHSTRUNG

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2019
Camden SC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS 9" HF Coil, Garret Pro-Pointer, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is an awesome find. Congrats!

FieldStone

Jan 9, 2019
New England
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smallmouth bass:thumbsup:....care to share where this Quarry is? I'm right down the road in RI.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread