Someone had a bad day at the mine!

azdave

Dec 12, 2014
southern AZ
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been sorting through finds, and decided to separate the various gun parts I've found in remote areas of AZ into one container instead of by location.
This particular piece (or pieces) I found about a year ago at a mine that was located in the early 1880's, and worked only a few years... it's definitely remote and long forgotten.
It is the cylinder to a cap-and-ball revolver, 36 caliber, that was "blown" in half. I suspect it was what is called a "chain-fire" incident, whereas the shooter does a messy job when loading the chambers, and when the trigger is pulled it ignites multiple chambers in the cylinder, causing a "catastrophic failure." Or a severe overcharge of one chamber that ignites an adjacent chamber.
Although the crappy pics don't show it well, it is obvious that one chamber blew out the cylinder wall, and the chamber next to it ignited, with the ball slamming into the frame and severely "denting" the cylinder face. 3 nipples were blown out as well.
How would you like to have that happen in your hand?? The pieces were about 20 yards apart... one about 6 inches deep, the other on the surface. No other parts of the pistol were ever found... and I've hit it hard expecting some to come up. This area was littered with WRA 44wcf (44-40) casings and several FA 45-70 casings with mid-80's dates, so it was definitely their little "shooting spot."
Been meaning to share this.... it sure would have been a bad day for someone at this spot almost a century and a half ago.

IMG_20190325_192632132.jpg IMG_20190325_192641235.jpg IMG_20190325_192649592.jpg IMG_20190325_192700444.jpg IMG_20190325_192725230.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 18

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Very cool history with those pcs. Just thinking about that moment when, quite possibly, the guy blew some part off his hand off. Interesting thanks!

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
when my dad showed me how to load these ,we always put a little grease after the ball to keep this happening,
that was a bad day for someone.
brad

TimberCrack

Jul 30, 2013
wyoming
Detector(s) used
white's 6000/D coin master
White's MXT
Garrettt ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
blew the cylinder in half.....took the remaining pistol to the gunsmith, got it repaired and made sure he beeswaxed the cylinders after that...with his other shootable hand of course...HEHEHE

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ouch ! But that is a great piece of history. Did you go back and look for the fingers or hand ?

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bad day for him turned into good day for you :laughing7:

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah lefty wasn't a very good shot after that, he closed his eye every time he pulled the trigger!

Lard was the sealer of choice. It was universally available and cleaned off well afterward. When I was lucky enough to receive my GGGrandfather's 1860 Army Colt it was totally encased in lard and wrapped in an old rag. Hot soapy water cleaned it right up.

Best wishes!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find look for the ring finger might be a ring on the bone lol

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would not have been a good day for anyone to have that weapon blow up in the hand that held it! It is a clear reminder to be careful when "hand loading" ammunition or a firearm in this case. I've never even considered or known about 'chain ignitions' though now that I have been duly advised I will forever (I hope) remember the possibilities!

I reload my own, I've built some mighty hot loads, I've never had one blow up on me though having fired some hot loads I simply backed away from them as once witnessed I knew not to continue the practice!

Interesting detecting thread that has certainly been informative to me...........63bkpkr

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a chain fire in my first cap and ball pistol, 4 cylinders discharged at the same time. One of the balls clipped the wedge pin and sprayed lead everywhere cutting my hand which was now white from slight powder burns. I am extremely careful when loading now. The funny thing was there was only cosmetic damage to the revolver probably due to the quality of the steel used now days.

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Def a bad day lol

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That could make for some big owies.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool find and pic's. This may have been one of those scenerio's where I thoughta or Almost applied. Lol

axelrich

Jun 12, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ouch that hurts, One must follow the right practice to load & fire the firearm.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread