RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As a newbie, I get excited over a hunk of melted lead, or a beat up three ringer. Here are a few of my firsts, including one relic I will most likely never top. Yeah, the good stuff is at the end! ;-)

All relics dug in Culpeper county Virginia, during DIV XL, and DIV XLIV

DSC_1245.jpg

first bullets from 77th ny camp.2.jpg

DSC_1247.jpg

DSC_1248.jpg

DSC_1249.jpg

So you noticed that I did better at DIV XLIV. I did better quantity wise, then I did at my first. Here is what made my first DIV so special.

NSTCW22.jpg

From what I have been told by William Leigh, on a scale from 1 to 10, this button is a 10 in rarity. I wouldn't trade it for anything. This was my first military button of any kind. The night before I dug it, I prayed for "a nice eagle button". Well, I got a really nice eagle button!

Upvote 13
OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
To this day, I have not cleaned that button.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My avatar looks somewhat like your button. Check it out. I dug mine in S.W. Georgia.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's my original post with a better picture of the button:

I got a chance to get out and hunt yesterday an old home site here in Southwest Georgia. The farmer had recently pulled out the trees of a wooded area to enlarge his field and I'm sure glad he did. I found an eagle cuff button and about twenty feet away was this coat sized C.S. button. This is a two piece and the back was made of iron or tin and is there but badly rusted. Civil War buttons are hard to come by down here as there was no fighting. I assume someone wore it home or perhaps passed through here. Had the bulldozer blade been a half inch lower, I wouldn't have had a very good looking find. I didn't find any coins (yet) but, plan to be back out there this afternoon.
paperclip.png
Attached Thumbnails

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I got a chance to get out and hunt yesterday an old home site here in Southwest Georgia. The farmer had recently pulled out the trees of a wooded area to enlarge his field and I'm sure glad he did. I found an eagle cuff button and about twenty feet away was this coat sized C.S. button. This is a two piece and the back was made of iron or tin and is there but badly rusted. Civil War buttons are hard to come by down here as there was no fighting. I assume someone wore it home or perhaps passed through here. Had the bulldozer blade been a half inch lower, I wouldn't have had a very good looking find. I didn't find any coins (yet) but, plan to be back out there this afternoon.
paperclip.png
Attached Thumbnails

William Leigh looked at this button, and deemed it CS17 in Albert's button book. Your button is pictured, but not listed in the book. Though not listed, that is an incredibly rare button. Congratulations on that one!

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

paperclip.png
Attached Thumbnails

William Leigh listed my button as CS17 in Albert's book of buttons. I found a picture of yours in there, but it wasn't numbered for some reason. Both of our buttons are extremely rare, and finds of a lifetime. Yours has the two piece design from what I see, and mine is the one piece version. That is a beautiful button, and a find of a lifetime. Congratulations on that one!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you boil some regular hydrogen peroxide until it gets warm, drop the button in it for about 30 seconds then wash off and lightly brush with a soft toothbrush that danged Culpeper red dirt will come off without touching the patina on the button. I ought to know...have cleaned about 100 this way from that area.

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you boil some regular hydrogen peroxide until it gets warm, drop the button in it for about 30 seconds then wash off and lightly brush with a soft toothbrush that danged Culpeper red dirt will come off without touching the patina on the button. I ought to know...have cleaned about 100 this way from that area.

That's a good idea..though I will try it on a regular button first. I don't want to be the cause of it's demise, if you know what I am saying.

I used to live in Culpeper, and when we moved, our family still visited the place often. I miss it when I am not on a digging trip.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good idea..though I will try it on a regular button first. I don't want to be the cause of it's demise, if you know what I am saying.

I used to live in Culpeper, and when we moved, our family still visited the place often. I miss it when I am not on a digging trip.

Yea man I'd be 'ultra paranoid' to clean that button (other than a well-used toothbrush & Spring water).

Dis you use the MXT on the DIV , hunts?

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yea man I'd be 'ultra paranoid' to clean that button (other than a well-used toothbrush & Spring water).

Dis you use the MXT on the DIV , hunts?

Yes, I used an MXT on both hunts. The first hunt though, the coil was operating at only less than half strength without me knowing it. The guy at the shop said I probably missed over 75% of the signals. It was a total miracle I found that button.

For example, My first bullet: Instead of a high tone, I got a almost non-existent iron signal. The VDI read "hot rock". I never would have dug the signal, if it wasn't for the help of a very kind digger who helped out. Once I got it fixed, the second DIV went much better.

It really was an act of God, finding this button.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a very nice button indeed. Congrat's to you.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I'd say you were 'Meant' to find that button , also glad you got your machine fixed & more blessed finds in the future.
Davey

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Did you ever clean up that button? If so, I'd like to see how it came out.

I don't think I will ever clean it. Some things just need to be left the way they are.

But if I ever do decide to clean it, I am taking it to a professional.

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Rusty on a terrific hunt! I totally understand guarding this great relic.

FYI to all! You can go to any thrift store and find the 2 cup size crock pot. They work great for this and won't boil. I use one as a pickle pot for castings. If you cast a piece of silver that darkens quickly. You can treat it several times in the hot pickle and it won't darken any more.

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way Rusty, That's pronounced "Cupeppa" by the natives.

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my Grandmothers was a Compton from Sperryville.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread