🏆 HONORABLE MENTION Buried silver cache found

skateteacher

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t normally post much here but I do like to frequent it here to read as there are always a great variety of stories related to all things treasure. I wanted to share what was/is probably the best detecting/ treasure hunting day of my career. I’m using an iPad so forgive the poor sentence structure and the fact I’m going to copy most of my post from another site that I made yesterday. Anyhow enough of the pre talk let’s get to it.

I'm a member of ringfinders and I got a call this week I just had to share with everyone. I got a call about about a buried stash of silver in a backyard. According to what I was told, Grandpa had buried a stash of silver coins in the backyard and had only revealed that he had two weeks prior to his death. I was given the areas to hunt (1.8 acre property), but no idea what if anything was containing these coins in terms of container. I was pulling beer can after beer can and nail after nail I got a solid 16 tone on the Nox and I dug it. Turned out it was a 36" pipe that made thetell-tale sound of having something in it. Long story short we had to cut the pipeopen and when we did it was awesome. A find of a lifetime, a cache of silver coins.

Needless to say this was a life changing event for all of us. For me I have spent all my adult life looking for treasure and I found it in my God, my wife and my kids but never really buried in dirt until yesterday. It was getting late so I didn’t have a chance to do any key date searching with them as it was an hour and a half drive back. Several Morgan’s were 1882 so I’m hoping there’s an 1883 in there.

The coins were stacked by section, the silver dollars were in the first 12 inches, halves and quarters the next 12 inches and barbers, mercs and Rosie’s in the last 12 inches.
Im not posting to brag but rather to encourage because if you don’t dig you won’t find. I don’t think I’ll be able to sleep until Sunday lol. I can’t stop thinking about it.

Best to all and I hope all your scoops and shovels strike gold or silver!

Attachments

• 6698EEE8-3072-491E-9134-E9CF40BA340A.jpeg
    6698EEE8-3072-491E-9134-E9CF40BA340A.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 817
  • A422DBDA-EFC3-4D96-B734-F0C52FA753C6.jpeg
    A422DBDA-EFC3-4D96-B734-F0C52FA753C6.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 894
Upvote 63
Aug 18, 2019
South Padre Island Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro SideWinder, CZ20, Whites XLT, Tesoro StingRay II, Whites PI Pro w/950 Dive Coil, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab EQ 600, Fisher CZ3D, Whites TDI SL, Sov. GT. Minelab GXP-4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a job well done, you are defiantly a recovery master.

Zippidy~Do~Daa

Aug 24, 2019
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's really nice that you could find those for them. I bet there grandpa would have liked to know that. There is definitely a generation there that did not trust banks. Forgive me for not having the knowledge that most or all of you have, but what are barbers, mercs and Rosie’s? I'm new and just starting so I don't have the knowledge base yet.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely the find of a lifetime!

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's really nice that you could find those for them. I bet there grandpa would have liked to know that. There is definitely a generation there that did not trust banks. Forgive me for not having the knowledge that most or all of you have, but what are barbers, mercs and Rosie’s? I'm new and just starting so I don't have the knowledge base yet.

I've sent you a private message about your question here.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully they either kept them - or got top dollar for them.

Giving it to the family puts the honor in honorable mention.

Every bank manager has stories about such hoards being brought in and redeemed for face value.

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1920 my grandfather who fought in the civil war told my dad he buried a large tin of gold and silver out by the well. He died in 1921. My father had the hired hands dig up all around the well and didn't find a thing. In 1989 I went there and hunted. I got a very weak signal 6' from the well and it read high. I started digging when a guy came out and told me not to dig. I told him my family owned the property for over 100 years but he said "They don't own it now". so I left. I went back in 2011 and there is a school built on the grounds so all that money is still buried for future people to find.

califteacher

Sep 30, 2012
Vista, San Diego County, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
An amazing story, for sure. Thank you for sharing the fact that the family is keeping the coins, which is only right. You did the job that you were hired to do. I was intrigued when I read "Turned out it was a 36" pipe that made the tell-tale sound of having something in it." Among the many things that I don't know, there must be a difference in the way an empty pipe and a pipe full of metal sounds--something that I wouldn't have thought about before. The scary thing is that someone else may have dug down, found some old pipe, and done nothing more, figuring that it was just an old pipeline--something we encounter all the time. Luckily, you knew what you were doing and could tell the difference. It certainly makes a great story to share.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This made for a great bed time read. I am going to dream about pipes full of silver zzzzzz good night

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Missed this one... definite Banner find.

Now... this find is sending my mind back to the many times many of us have come across a pipe such as that and moved on thinking it was just a water line and just filled back in.

Makes me wonder... HARD !

SO... let me ask... what was first sight ? in other words... how was the pipe laying in ground ?... and what part did you first see ? end ?

What made you continue to dig or tipped off to something other than just piping ?

Congrats on the stellar find.

OP
OP
S

skateteacher

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Missed this one... definite Banner find.

Now... this find is sending my mind back to the many times many of us have come across a pipe such as that and moved on thinking it was just a water line and just filled back in.

Makes me wonder... HARD !

SO... let me ask... what was first sight ? in other words... how was the pipe laying in ground ?... and what part did you first see ? end ?

What made you continue to dig or tipped off to something other than just piping ?

Congrats on the stellar find.

The pipe was horizontal about 8 inches deep. I was looking for a big loud signal of anything that would indicate a large container. I dug it from one end and popped it out with the cap end out first. I tipped it up on it's end and you could hear shaking noise internally, kind of a "ching" "ching" sound. I knew I was onto something but there was no way that top was coming off without a blowtorch as it had been buried for 70+ years. The idea of storing money in a pipe actually makes tremendous sense as piping was cheap, secure and could be put into the ground anywhere. It's also easier to hide in plain site although this was buried. Even though it's been 5-6 months since I found it I still go back and look at the pics once a week just to reflect on it.

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, just wow oh wow. I haven't been checking up much on T-net this year and totally missed this posting.

Like probably many others I think of caches in tin cans, fruit jars and metal boxes but not pipes, makes perfect sense.

Great story and so happy you could find it for the family!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks for the post and Congratulations.

blugotti1

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2009
GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have probably been buried next to where it was after I found it!! awesome!!!

Russoca

Jan 31, 2019
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
White's MXT E-Tracker, Nokta Macro Simplex+
Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Epic story and find! Congrats!! :notworthy:

wilcam47

Dec 29, 2019
Idaho
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pipe was horizontal about 8 inches deep. I was looking for a big loud signal of anything that would indicate a large container. I dug it from one end and popped it out with the cap end out first. I tipped it up on it's end and you could hear shaking noise internally, kind of a "ching" "ching" sound. I knew I was onto something but there was no way that top was coming off without a blowtorch as it had been buried for 70+ years. The idea of storing money in a pipe actually makes tremendous sense as piping was cheap, secure and could be put into the ground anywhere. It's also easier to hide in plain site although this was buried. Even though it's been 5-6 months since I found it I still go back and look at the pics once a week just to reflect on it.
this looks like a Kennedy head?

Kennedy.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread