RelicHunterPro

May 13, 2018
Worcester Massachuttes
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro Garrett at max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JPEG_20190405_222839.jpg JPEG_20190405_222759.jpg

I found this last year it was under ground but it was surrounded by what looked like cloth and I'm guessing that's why it was preserved. It came up at a high 90 on my Garrett at pro this was before I got the at max my find was about 2 feet away from a super old oak tree. My guess is the tree was 100+ years old 4 people could hug the tree. Unfortunately I'm missing the top piece where the gunpowder came out of. Next to the oak tree was a big stream once I uncovered it to be honest I didn't know what it was at first I thought it was a drinking canteen so after my long day of finding junk I discovered this trinket. I found out what it was by looking up 1847 flask and i saw this now i truly know what this was

Last edited:
Upvote 18

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1 - you cant recommend your own finds for "banner"
2 - banner finds have to be recently made.

that stuff aside, its a great find, congrats.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find of the powder flask. It looks to be in very good shape.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the handshake and the US in the shield, I wonder whether that was a powder flask of the type that would be presented to important Indian chiefs along with a gun?

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is called a "peace flask" but it is not something to give to indians, they made thousands of the same flask which happens to be a very collectable and sought after flask. Great find!! These were actually US government issue in the 1850s, you can google them for more of their history.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a great piece. Even hinting it should be a banner, will pretty much disqualify it. Go read the rules again. I found two great items once, 1 made a banner the other not, that's when I read the rules and realized you couldn't get two at the same time. (Have two up there at the same time.) I don't get out much this time of year.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just FYI, you joined last year and say you found it last year. Unless you found it after you became a member it wouldn't qualify to begin with and waiting this long to post it after finding it would pretty much rule out banner as well. With that said, it is a very nice powder flask.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tend to give a newbie a break about asking, being new and all

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With that kind of luck, it’s just a matter of time until you get yourself a banner! Good luck and keep hunting it.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is I think one of the nicest flask I've ever seen found detecting. That IS a treasure.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Still a cool find! Maybe you should bury it again so someone else can find it and get banner LOL!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
One of the nicest and most interesting finds I’ve seen. Congrats on such a cool find. Banner worthy in my mind!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread