My Best Copper

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dozens of old coppers but only one in the 1700s in this coniditon. I found this the same day I found the 8 reale. After finding it I wanted to stop as it was getting late in the day but my detecting partner suggested another 30 minutes. 10 minutes later and out popped a scarred (by me) 8 reale.

I just recently really gave this coin a cleaning and I think it came out pretty good. I wish I could get that green corrosion off...suggestions? Hydrogen peroxide didn't get it off...

Attachments

• 1799.JPG
    1799.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 439
Upvote 0

cole1

Apr 27, 2007
South Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
dfx
Wow! That is in great condition. I have found 5 coppers in the past month and only one of them is half way recognizeable. How deep was it? Just wondering what the soil condition was that preserved it so well.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful copper. Amazing condition. I've only found one like that myself. The one in my avatar picture (1786 Vermont). All the others I've found are in terrible condition.

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only three or four inches deep. Found in a private yard which saw no agriculture. I think that fertilizer and drainage account for the majority of the damage to copper coins.

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Romeo....I assume where you already cleaned it in peroxide, you are not worried about destroying any value of it by cleaning it. That said, try covering it in Noxon for a few hours and then check it, rubbing the noxon off lightly and that should take most of the green corrosion off of it. Repeat the soaking a time or two if it doesn;t remove it the first time.
And as always...if you think you may have a rare or valuable coin....NEVER clean it.

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the cleaning tip...not rare or valuable...just nice condition. I've never heard of Noxon...what is it and where can I get it? Thanks again.

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Thanks for the cleaning tip...not rare or valuable...just nice condition. I've never heard of Noxon...what is it and where can I get it? Thanks again.

Romeo...its a metal polish and you should be able to get it at any hardware store or Walmart etc. It comes in a green plastic container...I use it all the time and it works great after a peroxide bath....rinse all the peroxide off with water first...not sure if it will react with the Noxon or not, but why chance it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions