Butch Cassidy wanted poster.

Mitchell001

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I’m new, and I had recently found this Butch Cassidy wanted poster. I was wondering if it was real? Let me know what you think. image.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 1

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_metal_detector.gif
Always love finding other similar
tn_02.gif
member finds...

tn_metal_detector.gif
Read this part of the thread...

Cool find! :thumbsup:

It looks like the right paper. The condition isn't very good with the tobacco staining but these things are pretty rare. Two things set off little questions in my mind - the border at the bottom seems extra long and the type on the left bottom curved down slightly on the originals I've seen. Your pictures are pretty small and I'm only knowledgeable because I've seen several at auction, I'm not an expert. Compare your poster to this known original in the Wyoming State University collection.

My gut instinct says you probably have the real thing. If so I'd guess with the current condition at a good auction house on the right day you might get $6,000 - $10,000?

If it was mine I'd run it by Jemison Beshear, he used to work with Greg Martin and with Bonhams and Butterfields in the San Francisco house. He really knows this stuff better than you or I and he's got the connections to find a buyer for you.

OP
OP
M

Mitchell001

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What was the paper on your poster like? What did it feel like?

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve seen a few of them in antique shops over the years which makes me think they are either common or more likely reproductions. However, there may very well be original ones in the mix.

haility

May 30, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve seen a few of them in antique shops over the years which makes me think they are either common or more likely reproductions. However, there may very well be original ones in the mix Tutuapp 9Apps ShowBox.[/QUOTEyour poster like? What did it feel like?
What was the paper on your poster like? What did it feel like?

Last edited:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sure would be sweet if it was real, but I'd definitely get it checked out by an ephemera expert. :thumbsup:

"Every collector does things differently, for each the pursuit is highly personal.
We all look through a different set of eyes, seeing ephemera through a highly individual filter."
-
The Ephemera Society of America

Dave

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be worth aloft if its authentic

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Gang has pretty much become Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid
But in all actuality neither gang member was their leaders.
that was all to sell newspapers, books and movies.

Probably the Gang member responsible for the planning, "Butch Cassidy" is the member standing with the hat, with a hand on "Sundance" sitting in the middle. Butch just was a colorful nicname, the actual Butch in the photo probably did most of the cooking for the gang. And was an actual butcher.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/25oAAOSw-itXqrEF/s-l640.jpg

But it has been so long I have forgotten most of the gangs actual names.

No, Butch is seated in the front row at the far right, and I think you very much underplay his role in the gang.

Back row in the picture you linked to are: Will Carver (alias News Carver) at the left. and Harvey Logan (alias Kid Curry) at the right.

Front row, left to right are: Harry A. Longabaugh (alias the Sundance Kid), Ben Kilpatrick (alias the Tall Texan) and then Robert Leroy Parker (alias Butch Cassidy).

That's not the full 'Wild Bunch' of course since it had a fluid membership and some former members had already been killed by the time that picture was taken at Fort Worth, Texas in 1900.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It all probably stems from a report of a robbery.

Who robbed the bank?

I saw Butch, Cassidy, Sundance, and the Kid. "Bill Kilpatrick" the gun, was probably English, kind of merky history there.

Will Carver was that mans birth name?, I got a bridge I want to sell you.
You have seen too many movies.

It Probably was Michael "News" Cassidy

I have forgotten the names but pretty sure an Englishman was involved with the gang also

The English didn't stop trying to take back America until they started getting their asses kicked by the Germans in World War 1.

The west was filled with aliases and poor or biased newspaper reporting.

Nope.

Kilpatrick does not have a 'murky history' as far as his genealogy is concerned. His name was, as I said, ‘Ben’ not ‘Bill’ as you are saying. He certainly wasn't English. He was born in Coleman County, Texas on 5th January 1874… the third of nine children produced by the Tennessee-born farmer, George Washington Kilpatrick (also spelled ‘Killpatrick’) and his wife Mary from South Carolina.

Will Carver was born ‘William Richard Carver’ on 12th September 1868 in Coryell County, Texas… the son of George Alfred Carver and Martha Jane Carver.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would be awesome to be authentic, if not its still freakin cool.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet also.....Tommy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread