central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While water detecting at a boaters party spot on Tuesday following the 2011 Memorial Day weekend, I dug this bracelet off of the bottom of the lake, while using a snorkel and mask:

IMAG0004 (2).JPG

Upon reading it, and observing the date on it, my heart sank. I knew right away that it was a memorial bracelet for a soldier killed on that date - 08-19-2010, less than a year earlier.

Cj2.JPG

Upon getting back home, my thoughts were confirmed by internet research. He was killed in Afghanistan by a roadside bomb.
But my heart-ache got worse. He left behind a young wife, and twin infant boys....

I worked online tirelessly for weeks trying to get information to be able to contact someone, to try to return this to the individual who lost it, as I would be heartbroken if I had been that person. I even tried emailing the military's Civilian Affairs Department, told the story, and got a reply that "we will look into it" and get back to you. To this day, I am still waiting.

Continuing my internet search, I searched info about his hometown in Illinois and his last name. I came across the last name on something for sale a while before, and it had an address listed. But not knowing if this was the same family, I didn't want to just mail it out! So I Google searched the address, and found that directly across the road from that address was a church!

I was able to get a phone number for the church on-line, and called, having to leave a message on an answering machine.

Two days later, my phone rings. It was the soldiers Mother! The church secretary walked a note across the street to her with my information from the message I had left. Well, after fumbling for words, trying to explain, I was able to get the message out that I want to return the bracelet to whomever lost it.

His Mom told me that only 10 bracelets had been made, and were for her and her husband, the soldiers wife, and the remainder for his Marine squad. We are now friends on FaceBook, and this is a snip of private message from his Mom.

CJs Mom.JPG

and, a partial photo of his Mom wearing her matching bracelet.

263856_10150247940868960_215197-2_n.jpg

I packaged up the bracelet and mailed it to the soldiers Mother, who located and returned it to the soldier who lost it.

THIS IS my BEST find from metal detecting, and my best return. I don't think I could find anything In my lifetime that I would cherish more.

Last edited:
Upvote 12

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're a good man!

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CCDAMEEK, you are a good example of what is right in America! All returns are special, especially so in this case. BRAVO!

ConshyBoy

Sep 11, 2018
Conshohocken PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 6000 Garrett Ace 400 BH Tracker 4 Vulcan 360 AT Pro Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and you are to be commended for your efforts Honorable Mention for sure

Zippidy~Do~Daa

Aug 24, 2019
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This story brought me to tears. I'm so glad that you were able to find the one who lost it and were able to return it. The world could use more people like you.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice story, excellent research and diligence on returning the bracelet. Honorable mention from me.

OP
OP
CCDAMEEK

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
smallfoot, invent4hir, ConshyBoy, Zippidy~Do~Daa, & Trezurehunter, Thank You all for your very kind words. :heart:

DetecTom

Nov 18, 2019
Long Island,NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600|Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story and great work! Always nice to see a happy ending

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great great story. Well done

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Choked me up shipmate! Honorable Mention to say the least. Thank you for your perserverance:usflag:

OP
OP
CCDAMEEK

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THANKS BLK HOLE, Just who I am and how I'm wired. Right is right, no matter the time, investment, or hassle. No other way this man can behave. :whip2:

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How cool of you! Thank you for your actions and research, and return! And thank you for sharing this great story with us all! :thumbsup:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You are a good man. You shed a positive light not only on our hobby and what we do, but more importantly what is right and just. The memorial bracelett will make its way back to its owner in time for Christmas because of your actions and perserverance. Well Done and Merry Christmas.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Outstanding job and deserves Honorable Mention! You set the standard for us all. As soon as I wipe the tears from my eyes, I wanted to say, No Memorial bracelet gets left behind.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions