1700 cut William III halfpenny

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Here is my oldest coin to date! Now, KirkPA, who is going to get the foyst (first) 1600 coin? :D

pics009.jpg

clippedcopper006.jpg

zoyster

Upvote 0

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nicely done! Almost into the 1600s with that coin. Do you think it was cut purposely or by the plow? To me the cut looks almost new...newer than a couple hundred years anyway...

OP
OP
Colonial Zoyboy

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
I e-mailed Philip Mossman, a Colonial coin expert, and he said that I had a very interesting coin. "It was cut to probably make a farthing for smaller change," as stated by Mr. Mossman.

zoyster

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
zoyboy said:
I e-mailed Philip Mossman, a Colonial coin expert, and he said that I had a very interesting coin. "It was cut to probably make a farthing for smaller change," as stated by Mr. Mossman.

zoyster

Does that happen over there? Never happened over here in that period.

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
romeo-1 said:
Nicely done! Almost into the 1600s with that coin. Do you think it was cut purposely or by the plow? To me the cut looks almost new...newer than a couple hundred years anyway...

I guess, if the other part is found, it was "decked" by the plow. I am hoping that it was "decked," instead of cut by some tavern keeper. :D

Zoy, I will find the 1600s wilver! :D

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Interesting point romeo. The cut copper I found looks similar. Kind of looks like they cut it most of the way through and then snapped off the last part. It's straight as an arrow 2/3 of the way across but the last third is rough. No matter how you look at it though, that is one awesome find. Go get us another Zoy!! ;D Here is the pic of the cut copper I found. I wish it had the detail yours does.

Attachments

• IMG_0823.JPG
    IMG_0823.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 784
  • IMG_0823.JPG
    IMG_0823.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 766

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader asked: [/quote]
[/quote]

Cutting of copper into halves was not uncommon at all, I do wonder what you mean by that period, since William III coppers circulated for a very long time in America and I am sure since his was found in Central Pennsylvania that it most likely was lost in the mid to late 1700's...Now, when it was cut in half??? :)

I also have a cut in half William III copper amongst my William III coppers found in New Jersey.

Don

Attachments

• WilliamIIICut.jpg
    WilliamIIICut.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 768

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
very cool find Zoy! its cool that you got the piece with the date!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Crusader asked:
[/quote]

Cutting of copper into halves was not uncommon at all, I do wonder what you mean by that period, since William III coppers circulated for a very long time in America and I am sure since his was found in Central Pennsylvania that it most likely was lost in the mid to late 1700's...Now, when it was cut in half??? :)

I also have a cut in half William III copper amongst my William III coppers found in New Jersey.

Don
[/quote]

That one looks cut & proves the point I was asking. What I meant by that period includes the 1700s 1800s 1900s.

xlt nh

Jul 28, 2006
Cheshire, Mass
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, DFX 300
My first Copper ever found was a cut one...luckily the date was on the coin...1730. One of my best finds, and most interesting ones to date.

Not only can you show someone the old money, but they can actually 'see' how smaller change was actually
'made'. ;) :)

Great find!
HH,Hank 8)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a site that near every coin find is a cut copper. My friends and I weren't even the first people to hunt there and I bet we dug 10-12 pieces. I wouldn't be surprised if 25 or more total has come out. I've never really come up with a good answer because all the coins do date what was circulating at the time. There may have been many complete coins but obviously easy pickens for the first guys.

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
A CUT ABOVE ! !!

Kick butt cut colonial Zoy ;)

Crazy way to make change...Think it would go over well in a WalMart or Target cutting quaters and dimes ? :D

Adding a pic for ya of three chopped colonial coppas..one cut into a arrow point ! ((( These three from ..you guessed it - the blockouse / fort site )))

Expect more in '08 ;)

D.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 462

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread