Nov 5, 2019
NW Ohio
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this awesome Virginia Militia breastplate October 25. I was hunting a field at a site that was a home of a Civil War veteran. He served in the Ohio volunteer Infantry, 111th regiment, Company f. this was likely a souvenir he brought home from the war. It has a slight bend and two little holes drilled into it which was probably a repair to keep using it after the pin fell off. This is by far my best find in 36 years.
Of all places I dug this in northwest Ohio

Attachments

• plate1.jpg
    plate1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 176
  • plate 2.jpg
    plate 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 126
Upvote 11

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is one beautiful plate. You are probably right about the old veteran returning back home from the war with this souvenir. If these artifacts could only talk, the stories they could tell. Congrat's to you on a Great find and Save on CW History. This would have to certainly be a show piece in your display.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The vets brought home all kinds of stuff. I saw a piece of artwork from the Civil War depicting soldiers looking for souvenirs at Lookout Mountain, TN right after the battle. My dad brought home all kinds of WWII stuff.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is this the same one that Denny posted on a different site?? It's not everyday that these puppy's show face. Great save and a big Congrats on a Once in a lifetime find :occasion14:

OP
OP
MSpeiser

MSpeiser

Nov 5, 2019
NW Ohio
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is this the same one that Denny posted on a different site?? It's not everyday that these puppy's show face. Great save and a big Congrats on a Once in a lifetime find :occasion14:

it must be. Denny is bringing me back a case for it from VA.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hope Mr. Ringfinder has a full case for himself from Coles Hill. That should display nice :icon_thumright:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Moly that's freakin cool that would be the prize of any ones collection. Great find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread