Macehead in Bronze from the 1200

Trond

Mar 23, 2006
Norway
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx Power.
Here is a nice piece of weapon from the year 1100/1200, Its made out of bronze.
Some of the spikes has broken of, most likely in a fight/battle.

I found it buried at ca 60cm deep, it has been delivered to the museum.
This is the 3rd weapon of this kind that exist in Norway, its very rare.

Attachments

• bronze-slagvåpen3aaa.jpg
    bronze-slagvåpen3aaa.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 1,635
  • bronze-slagvåpen1aaa.jpg
    bronze-slagvåpen1aaa.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,634
  • bronze-slagvåpen2aaa.jpg
    bronze-slagvåpen2aaa.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,631
Upvote 0

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is one amazing piece of history.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find.

Which culture used it?

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent - very interesting find!! Curious about the 60cm deep comment though - that's almost 2 feet down. Were you doing some type of archeological dig when you came across it, or were you using a box type deep detector?

Find of a lifetime though!

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
Wow, that is awesome. Its Viking. Imagine getting clobbered by one of those?
I dream about finding Viking relics. There was a dig a few years ago a few miles from where I live and they uncovered a grave of a high ranking Viking warrior. He was burried with his sword and all. They're digging the whole area now and are going to develop it for tourism, surprise surprise. That's a great historical piece, congratulations!

OP
OP
Trond

Trond

Mar 23, 2006
Norway
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx Power.
Cubfan64 said:
Excellent - very interesting find!! Curious about the 60cm deep comment though - that's almost 2 feet down. Were you doing some type of archeological dig when you came across it, or were you using a box type deep detector?

Find of a lifetime though!

I found it by accident, i was detecting a small piece of land close by the sea. The ground was mostly sand on top, and shifted to black smelly dirt when i was digging. The detector i used was the Fisher cz 70. No special about it.

I was certain it was some rubbish on the bottom of the dig, but i continued digging because of the signal was to begin with very very small- but good. When i found the weapon, i didnt know what it was- because it was completly covered with hard dirt and sand.

OP
OP
Trond

Trond

Mar 23, 2006
Norway
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx Power.
DJ_Quinn said:
I dream about finding Viking relics. There was a dig a few years ago a few miles from where I live and they uncovered a grave of a high ranking Viking warrior. He was burried with his sword and all. They're digging the whole area now and are going to develop it for tourism, surprise surprise. That's a great historical piece, congratulations!

Ireland is loaded with relics. Im sure you will find viking relics if you dont give up.
Remember, the ocean was ca 1.0- 1,5m higher in the days of the vikings. Every small place where they could take shelter for the icecold northwind, is a good place to find relics.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goldhamster said:
DJ_Quinn said:

Ireland is loaded with relics. Im sure you will find viking relics if you dont give up.
Remember, the ocean was ca 1.0- 1,5m higher in the days of the vikings. Every small place where they could take shelter for the icecold northwind, is a good place to find relics.

Good advice, now your thinking like a Viking. Always helps to be empathic.

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
Yeah, I'm in waterford and they've uncovered loads of Viking relics here, but I'm sure there are more waiting to be discovered. Your advise about the ocean being 1-1.5 meters higher is good to remember. I'm going to be thinking about that the next time I go out.

OP
OP
Trond

Trond

Mar 23, 2006
Norway
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx Power.
DJ_Quinn said:
Yeah, I'm in waterford and they've uncovered loads of Viking relics here, but I'm sure there are more waiting to be discovered. Your advise about the ocean being 1-1.5 meters higher is good to remember. I'm going to be thinking about that the next time I go out.

Some last advice i can give you on the way: Look for pieces of lead, pottery, flint. There is a lot more tricks of the trade, but something you will have to find out yourself as you go.

I dont know what detector you are using, but if you want the coins from the good òl days, then you must listen for foil.!
Use a 6" coil for hammered silver and go slooowly. ((ca 3sec...))

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no doubt,one of the coolest things i've ever seen,AWESOME!

panzermeyer

Jul 27, 2004
The Great White North
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum Tesoro Tiger Shark
Outstanding find !!! That belongs on the top of the page for everyone to see.I;d sure hate to be on the receiving end of it.Unfortunately I;m in Canada and theres very little old stuff where I live although there were viking settlements on the east coast.God Bless and hh..Panz

OP
OP
Trond

Trond

Mar 23, 2006
Norway
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx Power.
Here is an update on the macehead. I finally got an letter from the museum with an beautiful diploma. Just wanted to share the good news with all of you..

:icon_sunny:

Attachments

• diplom-macehead.-004.jpg
    diplom-macehead.-004.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 649
  • diplom-macehead.-001.jpg
    diplom-macehead.-001.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 653
  • diplom-macehead.-005.jpg
    diplom-macehead.-005.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 642
  • diplom-macehead.-002.jpg
    diplom-macehead.-002.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 655

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
Wow trond, When did you find this, I dont recall it being on the todays find forum, I am sure that would be a Banner find for sure. That has to be one of the most amazing pieces i have seen here on Tnet and i love the decoration at the base of the mace too.

The pictures the museum have done look absolutely awesome but i have trouble reading icelandic, are you able to translate the script for us into english. I would be very interested in what they had to say.

Great find

Sasnz

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread