Connecticut Copper--times five?

MarkDz

Oct 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver UMax
I found these coins along a stretch of riverbank near my house. The first one I dug (top row, right) has a vague shadowy figure and a few letters on it. After a few hours of squinting at it I realized it was a Connecticut copper... or, as the linguists here say, coppa.

The other four coins showed up very close to the spot over the coming months. Some were right in the water, and a few were nearly on the surface (just under small rocks or little piles of silt). Sadly, all of these are so badly worn they're just slugs now, but it's probably fair to guess they might be from the same unlucky guy who dropped the first one.

The real prize is in the story, though: the place where I live (in modern-day Pennsylvania) was controlled by Connecticut until 1799. Little remains of the CT people who lived here, and most people don't know they were ever here at all... so in these old coins I have a little testament to them.

Probably my best individual finds so far... hope you like 'em!

Attachments

• conncopps.jpg
    conncopps.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 2,078
Upvote 0

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really cool . Looks like you have a very historical spot .

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good work. Those things always come out so rough, though. Not much mnore than a copper disk. Still sweet.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Riverbanks are great for older artifacts......and coins if there was a homesite nearby. Keep hitting that site, and keep your eyes peeled for indian artifacts as well. They're bound to turn up on the riverside.

OP
OP
MarkDz

MarkDz

Oct 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver UMax
Thanks for the replies :). I agree, riverbanks are often the best of all places to dig.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
WOW ......Five at one site.....what a fantastic day for you and I bet there are more in there! Keep digging and posting those kind of finds! Many Congrats to you!

OP
OP
MarkDz

MarkDz

Oct 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver UMax
Thanks everyone! ;D
Research really paid off with this site. For years I dug all over but never really found much. So I hit the books again and found a needle in the haystack, a colonial-era site just sitting around untouched. It is possible!

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
MarkDz said:
Thanks everyone! ;D
Research really paid off with this site. For years I dug all over but never really found much. So I hit the books again and found a needle in the haystack, a colonial-era site just sitting around untouched. It is possible!

Good job, buddy.

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
WTG Markdz...Fun diggin all those coppers !! I can see they've been shaved and clipped !

colonial relic hunter

Nov 26, 2007
Harrison city, Pa
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X3 & X2 and X5. Whites spectrum & silver eagle ll. Garrett ADS 4.
Congrats on the coppers! It doesn't really matter what condition they are in; they are all great finds!

Bill(pa)

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds and story, I bet there is more goodies around there!

Alnitak

Nov 20, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Just stumbled on this thread going through the "best finds" section. Nice set of CT coppers. My ancestors actually were part of the group of CT settlers that came to northern PA, so a bit of a personal connection here.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wtg x5 lol :icon_thumright: nice finds

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool find. I'd go over that area with a fine toothed comb. Like the avatar also.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you found that many at that location, there's got to be more. In my way of thinking world anyway. Great stuff there!
Carl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread