TulsaPllTbFndr

Apr 3, 2013
Tulsa, OK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro(main), White's M6, White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this silver "julep" cup on February 4th, 2018. It's probably in my top 10 best finds with my metal detector(found with Garrett AT Pro w/ the 4and1/2" Garrett Super Sniper coil).

It was very cold and windy that day and I was out hunting a freshly bulldozed lot where an old house had just been torn down with two of my good diggin' buddies, David and Travis. The neighborhood it was in was pretty old for our area. Most of the houses went in around the late 1890s and early 1900s. The last few years this neighborhood has been going through re-zoning so a lot of the houses and buildings have been getting bulldozed. It's been a regular hunting ground for us and just about everyone in the city with a detector, haha! The area has produced oodles of quality finds for many people these last few years, including for myself and my buddies. The house lots out here also tend to be very trashy even after bulldozing so you have to work slow. We had only been on the lot maybe 10 minutes when I got a screaming beer can-like signal at the back of the lot, which would have been where the backyard meets the alley. Remember, this was a freshly scraped lot where we expected signals to be shallow and mostly trashy. Since I was on a back lot fence area I expected a beer can or some large mangled hunk of typical back-fence-fodder(you know the spot). I know sometimes those areas can be good for old bottle/trash dumps but I wasn't holding my breath. I stuck my shovel in and popped out, from not even an inch down, what I immediately thought was a rather newer looking Campbell's Soup can. Utter disgust. But, I'm a completionist and I decided to clean the dirt out of it so I could smash it and put it in the pouch. That's when I noticed an odd rim... then a familiar patina... the dirt was wiping away cleanly too... I turned it over excitedly to the bottom and saw some words! I rubbed the mud off gently and what I saw was, "Shreve Brown & Co. Boston Pure Silver Coin"! I still wasn't sure what I had exactly but I was pretty sure it was at least a big silver cup. I went into a private frenzy of thought, excitement, and panic all at once. I ran over to David and Travis, shoved it into their hands and demanded, in what probably came out sounding like some derranged broken language, to tell me what the hell it was that I had just found. They read the words on the bottom aloud, "...pure silver coin..." I snatched it and stumbled down to my truck with my headphones still on my head dragging my machine behind me on the ground by the cord. I'm sure I seemed like some bizarre real-life Golem consumed by the greed and fascination of a treasure. I had to see it in safety. I had to get it into the truck. The first two photos are from that exact moment in the truck. I almost felt like if I didn't photgraph it that instant that it may just turn to dust and blow away. After we settled down and I got "The Precious" put away we went back over to thoroughly check the hole. We ended up getting lots of signals from the hole and so we dug it out to reveal a small bottle dump/trash pit. No other silver was found but an indian head, some early wheats, a token of some sort, couple marbles, and a few decent little bottles were found. I included a couple pictures of David and Travis digging out the pit and some of those bottles. The rest is history.

Turns out the cup was the real deal. Made by the Shreve Brown Co. out of Boston in the 1850s from coin silver! The final pictures are an example of the same cups in excellent condition. Mine is the same size as the bigger of the two in the example photos. Four inches high and weighs 3.97 oz!

After a lot of research I was later able to contact a renown silver smith from New England who said he could restore it for around $600.00 dollars and he told me to insure it for about $1,000.00 after restoration. I haven't had the funds for that yet but I hope to one day. Either way, I love it. It sits prominently in one of my display cabinets. I'll always cherish it and everytime I pass by the cabinet I'm reminded of the memories and the excitement of finding it.

Attachments

• 20180204_111537.jpg
    20180204_111537.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 113
  • 20180204_111518.jpg
    20180204_111518.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 120
  • 20180204_121455.jpg
    20180204_121455.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 98
  • 20180204_121504.jpg
    20180204_121504.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 97
  • 20180204_121528.jpg
    20180204_121528.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 119
  • 20180206_170403.jpg
    20180206_170403.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 100
  • 20180206_165334.jpg
    20180206_165334.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 119
  • 77_1.jpg
    77_1.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 95
  • 77_2.jpg
    77_2.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Upvote 9

villival

Mar 18, 2013
Southern Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (Ophelia), Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a really cool find. It's amazing what's under the ground.

djackson7348

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
North Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I would not restore it. Now it has history and character. Just my opinion.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a heck of a find. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Restoration or not is a personal decision. But IMO, you need to at least drink a mint julep from it!

And thanks for sharing the story and great pics!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO, this find is banner worthy due to its rarity. I don't think these were common 170 years ago when it was new. But I think there are rules that require the find to have been made more recently than 2018. Regardless, I have nominated it for BANNER with these caveats.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO, this find is banner worthy due to its rarity. I don't think these were common 170 years ago when it was new. But I think there are rules that require the find to have been made more recently than 2018. Regardless, I have nominated it for BANNER with these caveats.

Megalodon is correct, finds for banner must be recent.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome TulsaPullTabFinder. Thanks for the backstory.

I'm pretty sure I've seen you other places, particularly youtube. However, I can't seem to locate you anymore. Hope all is well.

OwassOkie

OP
OP
TulsaPllTbFndr

TulsaPllTbFndr

Apr 3, 2013
Tulsa, OK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx, vill!

OP
OP
TulsaPllTbFndr

TulsaPllTbFndr

Apr 3, 2013
Tulsa, OK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx tamrock!

OP
OP
TulsaPllTbFndr

TulsaPllTbFndr

Apr 3, 2013
Tulsa, OK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx, Djackson! And I tend to agree with you about not restoring. I typically prefer the character over the shine but in some ways in this case part of me would love to see it back to its original glory. For now, it will keep the character. ;)

OP
OP
TulsaPllTbFndr

TulsaPllTbFndr

Apr 3, 2013
Tulsa, OK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx so much for the kind words and the banner vote, Megalodon! I really appreciate that banner vote even though I don't qualify. Actually, I had to look up what you meant. I wasn't sure what that was all about. So, if someone gets enough votes they can be chosen to have a picture of their find on the homepage I guess? That's pretty cool.

OP
OP
TulsaPllTbFndr

TulsaPllTbFndr

Apr 3, 2013
Tulsa, OK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the information, treasure_hunter. I didn't even know what banner voting was until you guys mentioned something about it. Am I still allowed to post pictures of past best finds in this forum or is it reserved for current finds that are trying to win the banner contest? I hope I didn't break any rules! If so, my apologies. Thx again!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Great recovery story!
And it reads like you found quite the keeper... Good bye Smeagol, hello Gollum. L.o.l..
Congrats..

OP
OP
TulsaPllTbFndr

TulsaPllTbFndr

Apr 3, 2013
Tulsa, OK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx OwassOkie! Yes, I did have a youtube detecting channel of the same name for several years but I was beginning to neglect the channel and then my computer got fried by a lightning strike so that really threw a wet blanket on the situation, lol. Eventually I decided to close and delete the channel. I miss it but I hope to re-launch a new channel one day. I think I remember you as well, is your name similar on YT? Also, I'm assuming you must be from Owasso?

OP
OP
TulsaPllTbFndr

TulsaPllTbFndr

Apr 3, 2013
Tulsa, OK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol! Thx relevant! And yes, it's a definite keeper. I've got a handful of some other best finds that I want to post in this forum but I don't want to spam the forum since I'm brand new to posting on TN. Will probably put a new one up in a few days as long as the mods approve. I'm still a little confused on if this particular forum is reserved only for those who are entering new finds for the banner or if it's open to just anyone wanting to show off their favs?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Lol! Thx relevant! And yes, it's a definite keeper. I've got a handful of some other best finds that I want to post in this forum but I don't want to spam the forum since I'm brand new to posting on TN. Will probably put a new one up in a few days as long as the mods approve. I'm still a little confused on if this particular forum is reserved only for those who are entering new finds for the banner or if it's open to just anyone wanting to show off their favs?

Banner are fresher finds of perceived high value or rarity with a well told (or at least well explained) version of the recovery.
Yours if current would qualify for a good run of nominations.
But , it's your personal banner worthy for sure.

You can post pictures of your recoveries. (We like pics.!).
But , posting older finds in the forum "todays finds" would not be suitable for previous finds.....

Not saying where you should post them, there are lots of forums within TreasureNet...
Browse around a while and you'll catch on to older finds getting posted up.

With the cup though..."My Favorite Finds" where a mod. moved it to is spot on...
"General Discussion" could work for "plain Jane" kind of stuff. Though plain Jane recoveries can be exciting too sometimes...

OP
OP
TulsaPllTbFndr

TulsaPllTbFndr

Apr 3, 2013
Tulsa, OK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you a bunch for taking the time to give me some of that insider baseball! That definitely helped clarify some things for me

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx so much for the kind words and the banner vote, Megalodon! I really appreciate that banner vote even though I don't qualify. Actually, I had to look up what you meant. I wasn't sure what that was all about. So, if someone gets enough votes they can be chosen to have a picture of their find on the homepage I guess? That's pretty cool.

Just as we all did once, you will learn from the experience of making and reading posts on the forum. I voted banner because I think it deserved it on its merit, but now you know. BTW, there was a Pine Tree shilling, a coin that usually makes banner, posted last year by a new member that also did not get banner due to the forum rules. And as long as you don't do anything worse than i do, then you won't be breaking rules!

Congrats on your great hunt and thanks for sharing pics of that rare julep cup. If you don't mind some unsolicited advice - my specialty, consider using a pic of that cup for your avatar pic (see forum actions up above the banner). IMO, it is worthy.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread