• Let Time Heal........

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Twisted Fork

Sep 2, 2007
UTAH
Detector(s) used
tf900 & a good old fashioned willow forked limb
An old Brownie Camera found in a long forgotten footlocker revealed this set of timeless photos:

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

image003.jpg

image004.jpg

image005.jpg

image006.jpg

image007.jpg

image008.jpg

image009.jpg

image010.jpg

image011.jpg

image012.jpg

image013.jpg

image014.jpg

image015.jpg

image016.jpg

Pearl Harbor

On Sunday, December 7th, 1941 the Japanese launched a surprise attack against the U.S. Forces stationed at Pearl Harbor , Hawaii . By planning his attack on a Sunday, the Japanese commander Admiral Nagumo, hoped to catch the entire fleet in port. As luck would have it, the Aircraft Carriers and one of the Battleships were not in port. (The USS Enterprise was returning from Wake Island , where it had just delivered some aircraft. The USS Lexington was ferrying aircraft to Midway, and the USS Saratoga and USS Colorado were undergoing repairs in the United States .)

In spite of the latest intelligence reports about the missing aircraft carriers (his most important targets), Admiral Nagumo decided to continue the attack with his force of six carriers and 423 aircraft. At a range of 230 miles north of Oahu , he launched the first wave of a two-wave attack. Beginning at 0600 hours his first wave consisted of 183 fighters and torpedo bombers which struck at the fleet in Pearl Harbor and the airfields in Hickam, Kaneohe and Ewa. The second strike, launched at 0715 hours, consisted of 167 aircraft, which again struck at the same targets.

At 0753 hours the first wave consisting of 40 Nakajima B5N2 "Kate" torpedo bombers, 51 Aichi D3A1 "Val" dive bombers, 50 high altitude bombers and 43 Zeros struck airfields and Pearl Harbor Within the next hour, the second wave arrived and continued the attack.
When it was over, the U.S. losses were:

Casualties
USA : 218 KIA, 364 WIA
USN: 2,008 KIA, 710 WIA.
USMC: 109 KIA, 69 WIA.
Civilians: 68 KIA, 35 WIA.
TOTAL: 2,403 KIA, 1,178 WIA.
-------------------------------------------------

Battleships
USS Arizona (BB-39) - total loss whe n a bomb hit her magazine.
USS Oklahoma (BB-37) - Total loss when she capsized and sunk in the harbor.
USS California (BB-44) - Sunk at her berth. Later raised and repaired.
USS West Virginia (BB-48) - Sunk at her berth. Later raised and repaired.
USS Nevada - (BB-36) Beached to prevent sinking. Later repaired.
USS Pennsylvania (BB-38) - Light damage.
USS Maryland (BB-46) - Light damage.
USS Tennessee (BB-43) Light damage.
USS Utah (AG-16) - (former battleship used as a target) - Sunk.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cruisers
USS New Orleans (CA-32) - Light Damage..
USS San Francisco (CA38) - Light Damage.
USS Detroit (CL-8) - Light Damage.
USS Raleigh (CL-7) - Heavily damaged but repaired.
USS Helena (CL-50) - Light Damage.
USS Honolulu (CL-48) - Light Damage..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Destroyers
USS Downes (DD-375) - Destroyed. Parts salvaged.
USS Cassin - (DD-37 2) Destroyed. Parts salvaged.
USS Shaw (DD-373) - Very heavy damage.
USS Helm (DD-388) - Light Damage.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Minelayer
USS Ogala (CM-4) - Sunk but later raised and repaired.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seaplane Tender
USS Curtiss (AV-4) - Severely damaged but later repaired.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Repair Ship!
USS Vestal (AR-4) - Sever ely damaged but later repaired.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Harbor Tug
USS Sotoyomo (YT-9) - Sunk but later raised and repaired.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aircraft
188 Aircraft destroyed (92 USN and 92 U.S. Army Air Corps)

OP
OP
Twisted Fork

Twisted Fork

Sep 2, 2007
UTAH
Detector(s) used
tf900 & a good old fashioned willow forked limb
Well Shut my mouth.......They sure were a treasure when I got them in an E-Mail the other day. Thanks for the heads up guys.

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regardless of where they came from...fantastic pictures of a tragic day. My great uncle was on the Arizona when she got hit, he was top side and got blown into the water and lived to fight thru the rest of the war. Stunning photographs...thanks for posting them!!!!

Mercury dude

Mar 8, 2007
Ceres
Detector(s) used
Stold by my x bounty hunter IV & Fast tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes they are, very cool pic, I mean wow.
jc

Mainedigger said:
Regardless of where they came from...fantastic pictures of a tragic day. My great uncle was on the Arizona when she got hit, he was top side and got blown into the water and lived to fight thru the rest of the war. Stunning photographs...thanks for posting them!!!!

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Story may not be real...but those photos are. I have a customer that comes in my store quite often...he's a Pearl Harbour Survivor. He and I talked abit since our first meeting and he has shown me photos that he took while there. Amazing photos, but so sad!

He doesn't come in as much as he use too....health reasons are keeping him home more. I sure do miss our talks! Wish I knew where he lived, I would go visit him! I think next time I see him come in...I will inquire about where he lives, maybe we can sit a spell for lunch and I can record his Naval History during the Pearl Harbour attack.

I can't for the life of me, (having a brain fart at the moment)...remember the ship he was on  >:(

His photos are just as amazing as the ones posted here...but no arial shots though (I haven't seen any). I wonder, when I see him again, if he would let me scan in those photos...hmmmm....?

Thanks for posting...haven't seen him in a couple of weeks....this posting made me realize I have not seen him seen him lately. Hope he is doing well.

Blessings to all,
Annmarie

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AnneMarie...if you know his last name...look his phone number up and give him a call to check in on him.... ;)

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Mainedigger said:
AnneMarie...if you know his last name...look his phone number up and give him a call to check in on him.... ;)

Sadly, I don't know his name...! He always comes in with his PEARL HARBOUR VET hat on....Most of the guys that come in...I usually just say..."Hey Honey, how are you today!" I have lots of HONEYS ;)

One guy comes in with GRANDPA on his hat and that is what we call him!

Oh, now I have to really be on the lookout for him....I need to learn his name. He only knows my name cause it's on my name tag. He came into the store one night after several talks with him...saw I was working, went home and brought his photos back for me to see...

You know...he's been shopping there for over 20 years...maybe some of my OTHER HONEYs will know who is his...I'll ask around!!! We have alot of REGULAR Customers who have been shopping this store 20 or more years...I'll keep ya'll posted if I can find him and see how he is and see if he would allow me to scan in his photos!!! You gotta' get the history while the historian is still with us....I know better, I should have taken notes.....blasted!

WilliamBoyd

Sep 22, 2007
California
I visited Pearl Harbor several years ago.

The visitor signs are all in English and Japanese.

There was an old Japanese guy explaining something to two children (his grandkids?).

I wondered if he was telling them where he was that day.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Original or not, they are great photos of our histor, regardless of how infamous that day was with its cowardice attack!!!

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
prospector40 said:
I have seen them many years back. To me thats not an issue. What is? That would be people still blaming the U.S. for that attack. I am sure people like cappy would blame U.S. forign policy.

Prospector...all the liberals know and will tell you...it was Bush's fault.... :D

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some incredible photos! A sobering reminder of historic events in our nation's past, and a tribute to the brave young men who put their lives on the line for liberty.

I had a great friend who was in the Army and fought in the Battle of the Bulge and Okinawa. He was a weapons platoon Seargeant in Company K, 331st Infantry, 83rd Division. He felt guilty for being a survivor of these conflicts while some of his best friends died beside him. I for one was glad he survived and glad to have had the oportunity to know this great man. In the years before his death he reflected much on the War and he would open up and relate to me how he felt, the sights and sounds. I hope that talking to me helped him heal a little. I lost my good friend Paul to his final battle with cancer.

Thank You to all U.S. veterans out there, I appreciate all that you folks have done in your service to this country!

Steve

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great photos, photos that I have never seen.... Thanks for putting them here...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions