AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

I thought I'd post this since it was my first and best civil war relic found. I found it while detecting in a recently plowed field just south of Goldsboro NC; I was put on to this site by a guy named J. Jones. He let me loose on the field with my XLT, about 5 hrs later he came back and asked what I'd found, if anything. I showed him two nice buttons and he started jumping around...guess they were good finds...I wouldn't know. The one he was most excited about was a Confederate Script I with a loose shank; he said it was a rare button. I was excited to have found it and it's still in my collection today! The second button had an eagle on it...he said it was also confederate. Both are in good condition but neither have any guild left on them. I also eyeballed a few clay pipes and found many musket minnies.

Being active duty military; I have the opportunity to be stationed at many different areas in the US and abroad which gives me the opportunity to detect the different areas within the hobby (relics, old coins, gold nuggets...). I'm currently stationed in Alaska and hope to get into some gold next spring.

Thanks for reading...
AlaskaAng

Attachments

• Manuscript I CW button.jpg
    Manuscript I CW button.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,771
Upvote 0

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
Nice finds & did you find out anything about that rare button.
Good luck there in Alaska. Thanks for your service to our country.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. :)

OP
OP
AlaskaAng

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're welcome; I've enjoyed the past 21yrs in the AF...hope to retire in the next couple years and start a second career...metal detecting, dog grooming and enjoying life!

I didn't do too much research after finding the button but did see that the going price was around $400! I added it to my very small collection of neat CW finds.

Ang

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice button Ang! Not much CW stuff in my part of Michigan (and none at all over here in Iraq!). I've managed to scare up a NY coat button, and except for G.A.R. items, that's about it for my CW finds.

Congrats again,
-SgtSki

Daniel in Ak

Feb 23, 2005
Alaska
Holy $#!(&&)) Ange that is one bad@$$ button congrats on such a great find and button to boot.Like you said being AD and moving around helps grow my collection as well,but being stuck here in North Pole (howdy neighbor) I havent dug anything around here worthy yet.
Anyhow you did outstanding on those buttons.Daniel

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice button. I lightened it up so we could see it a little better. Hope you don't mind. :) Does yours have a backmark?

Attachments

• indexCAWQCEAT.jpg
    indexCAWQCEAT.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,420
OP
OP
AlaskaAng

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
Nice button. I lightened it up so we could see it a little better. Hope you don't mind. :) Does yours have a backmark?

Backmark: blank, recessed well, has P Tait type floating shank, unmarked back was probably intended to disguise its origin. All the same, it's a neat find!

I hope someday to get back the the east and find some more!
Thanks for your great comments!
Ang

colonial relic hunter

Nov 26, 2007
Harrison city, Pa
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X3 & X2 and X5. Whites spectrum & silver eagle ll. Garrett ADS 4.
Thats sure is a wonderful button. I have not seen too many of them found. Congrats on your great button and amazing that was your first CW relic! Good luck in the spring and thank you for your service!

Bill(pa)

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter
That is a very nice button. i have a few as well that i found back home in Alabama but they are pretty common. So were u home on leave when you found your button??

OP
OP
AlaskaAng

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jonnyrebel00 said:
That is a very nice button. i have a few as well that i found back home in Alabama but they are pretty common. So were u home on leave when you found your button??

Hi Jonnyrebel00,

I was actually stationed in NC at the time...home for me is Galena, Illinois. I know where Glenburn ND is...I was stationed at Minot from 93-96 and had friends who lived in Glenburn.

Ang

Mrs Bloom

Nov 3, 2007
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Sweet find! And, thank you for all your years of service to our country. My 19yr old nephew joined the Air Force in August.
Good luck in the spring!

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! This is Bryan at Seymour. I would really like to find Jimmy. I think he was listed as Jimmy in Goldsboro, in the early days of treasurenet. It seems that I communicated with him at one time on the computer. He may even be a guy I hunted with years ago, a younger fella who live in a trailer back in 92 time frame. This guy I am speaking of had found a ton of stuff, as he showed me. I can't remember if his name was Jimmy or not. Anyway, take care, Bryan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread