All things represent a part of history .. Vintage tins, etc. are no exception.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: All things represent a part of history .. Vintage tins, etc. are no exception.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

All things represent a part of history .. Vintage tins, etc. are no exception.

Here are some of the tins, tubes, cosmetics, lipsticks, match book covers, etc that I have dug up over the years. Not the most stellar artifacts by any means, but they do hold their place in history. The pellet cans, which were not dug, are local history from the 1970's era of our local hardware store, and they still have the old labels on them. They cost $ 1.15 cents at the time. Anyhow, while this all might be trash to most, it's preserving a wee bit of history to me. Enjoy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2B8946C0-F67E-4848-8D45-EB643DBC3BDC.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	1820681   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	52292DAF-4F91-4BD6-A9F5-006C107695F2.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	1820682   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D7C64611-E529-4BD8-A288-5F9C8E7CF69C.jpeg 
Views:	66 
Size:	5.15 MB 
ID:	1820683  
    “It is best as one grows older to strip oneself of possessions, to shed oneself downward like a tree, to be almost wholly earth before one dies.”

us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
    EQUINOX 800
    25519 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    creskol I got to give it to ya, you have a lot of nice everything. You have quite a collection. Keep them coming.
    Simon1 and devldog like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    creskol I got to give it to ya, you have a lot of nice everything. You have quite a collection. Keep them coming.

Thank you, Truth!
    devldog and Simon1 like this.
    “It is best as one grows older to strip oneself of possessions, to shed oneself downward like a tree, to be almost wholly earth before one dies.”

us
    Apr 2009
    Cumberland Va
    T-2-SE
    2472 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Very nice thanks for sharing and holding on to our history. now everything's in plastic and really is trash.
    devldog and creskol like this.

us
    Jul 2020
    North Texas USA
    Garrett AT Max and White's Spectra
    79 times
    I love old collections like this. Not too long ago I was in an old barn and found a Doan's Pills tube in almost perfect condition. To me, that was the beast find of the quarter.
    creskol and devldog like this.

gb
    Dec 2019
    Surrey
    2720 times
    A man after my own heart. Everything is worth saving if it has a story to tell... even plastic.

We have a famous museum over here in Oxford, built on the collection of man-made items originally accumulated by a guy called Augustus Pitt Rivers and added to after his death. He was a 19th century pioneer for museum display of archaeological and ethnological items in a way that reflected ordinary life. The displays are grouped by what the items were used for, rather than where they came from, how rare or how old they might be. There are sections with titles like 'MAKING FIRE' where Zippo lighters sit alongside fire-drill bows; 'HATS' where construction workers' hard hats sit happily alongside primitive tropical items woven from palm leaves; 'TOYS' where mass-produced tinplate cars from China and plastic soldiers sit alongside prehistoric clay horses; and other sections with titles like 'FISHING', 'COOKING, 'TREATMENT OF THE DEAD' plus numerous others full of a mixture of everyday items ranging from ancient to modern. They're intended to make you think about how these things fulfilled people's needs and how those needs evolved over time. Its far and away my favourite museum of any that I have visited worldwide.

Dec 2015
    436 times
    That is a great collection you have creskol! I really like the Twin Oaks tin do you know what it was for? I had a blasting cap tin like yours in the upper right corner that I gave to my ex-wife, I was told that the round cans are more rare than the square cans for blasting caps and you have two of them.

I think my favorite is the can to the left of the pellets, do you know what it was for?
    creskol and devldog like this.

Feb 2015
    Victor, CO...City of Mines
    Minelab EQ800, Ex2
    3791 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Red-Coat View Post
    A man after my own heart. Everything is worth saving if it has a story to tell... even plastic.

We have a famous museum over here in Oxford, built on the collection of man-made items originally accumulated by a guy called Augustus Pitt Rivers and added to after his death. He was a 19th century pioneer for museum display of archaeological and ethnological items in a way that reflected ordinary life. The displays are grouped by what the items were used for, rather than where they came from, how rare or how old they might be. There are sections with titles like 'MAKING FIRE' where Zippo lighters sit alongside fire-drill bows; 'HATS' where construction workers' hard hats sit happily alongside primitive tropical items woven from palm leaves; 'TOYS' where mass-produced tinplate cars from China and plastic soldiers sit alongside prehistoric clay horses; and other sections with titles like 'FISHING', 'COOKING, 'TREATMENT OF THE DEAD' plus numerous others full of a mixture of everyday items ranging from ancient to modern. They're intended to make you think about how these things fulfilled people's needs and how those needs evolved over time. Its far and away my favourite museum of any that I have visited worldwide.
    Redcoat, that sounds like an incredible museum I would like to visit someday. I read the description to my wife, and she thinks our house is in the beginning unorganized stage of a similar museum.
    Creskol, I sure love finding old tins. It's always exciting digging them up because of the small chance there may be something inside, but especially there relation to modern day items.
    devldog, creskol, Red-Coat and 1 others like this.

us
    Grant Brandenburg

Jan 2013
    Colorado
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    20887 times
    Neat Collection Creskol, Thats one way to clean up discarded containers. Why no one thinks of going back to metal packaging instead of plastic is a mystery to me. I do my part at putting all the plastic I have to get rid of in my county provide at a cost to me recycling bin, but still much of the plastic gets away and scattered all over the country, lakes, oceans, rivers and streams. Just looking at my can of Longhorn Winter Green Long Cut, it's all made of plastic now. Sad to think the future will have nothing interesting to detect, unless someone invents the plastic detector.

us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
    EQUINOX 800
    25519 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    All things are history take my wife for example
    devldog likes this.

us
    Dec 2017
    Connecticut Western Reserve
    Garret ACE 300
    941 times
    Cool! How do you clean em up? Mine always come out like crap.
    devldog likes this.
    I'm gathering some stats on the ratios of big coppers to silvers at pre-1850 sites, please help me out and check out this post!
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ge...800s-site.html

2020 Totals
    Metal Detecting
    • Coppers: 1820 LC, 1837 Hard Times token, 1856 LC, 3 Matron Head LC's, (half of a) Victoria Penny, 1868, 1908 IHP
    • Silvers: 1942 Washington
    • Flat buttons: 24
    • Military buttons: 2
    • Indian artifacts, points, etc: 2

us
    Oct 2014
    florida
    4962 times
    I cant believe that you would leave Mabel Agnes and Beckie out of that line up.... Really though, cant agree with you more. I have lots of smalls in my cases that I love just the same.Nice pieces of history
    devldog and creskol like this.

us
    Mar 2012
    Georgia
    Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
    4171 times
    Relic Hunting
    Truth, your Life Insurance Policy is caught up to date? Lol How in the world have you been?

us
    Mar 2012
    Georgia
    Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
    4171 times
    Relic Hunting
    Very nice collection you have Creskol. History has always and will always be Important even though many are trying their darndest to Destroy it.
    Noah_D likes this.

us
    May 2009
    West Virginia
    Goldmaxx, Compass GSP, Garrett Infinium
    390 times
    Crekol,
    Nice, Im really liking the California Tooth pill made by a perfume company- wonder what was in that stuff
    creskol and Red-Coat like this.
    ''Snow-dragged Zen Jeep-charged Apariary""
    "If I don't have time to do it right, how do I have time to do it twice?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links