All things represent a part of history .. Vintage tins, etc. are no exception.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Here are some of the tins, tubes, cosmetics, lipsticks, match book covers, etc that I have dug up over the years. Not the most stellar artifacts by any means, but they do hold their place in history. The pellet cans, which were not dug, are local history from the 1970's era of our local hardware store, and they still have the old labels on them. They cost $ 1.15 cents at the time. Anyhow, while this all might be trash to most, it's preserving a wee bit of history to me. Enjoy

Attachments

• 2B8946C0-F67E-4848-8D45-EB643DBC3BDC.jpg
    2B8946C0-F67E-4848-8D45-EB643DBC3BDC.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 216
  • 52292DAF-4F91-4BD6-A9F5-006C107695F2.jpg
    52292DAF-4F91-4BD6-A9F5-006C107695F2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 174
  • D7C64611-E529-4BD8-A288-5F9C8E7CF69C.jpeg
    D7C64611-E529-4BD8-A288-5F9C8E7CF69C.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 170
Upvote 18
OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
creskol I got to give it to ya, you have a lot of nice everything. You have quite a collection. Keep them coming.

Thank you, Truth! :occasion14:

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice thanks for sharing and holding on to our history. now everything's in plastic and really is trash.

CrankyBuzzard

Jul 6, 2020
North Texas USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max and White's Spectra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love old collections like this. Not too long ago I was in an old barn and found a Doan's Pills tube in almost perfect condition. To me, that was the beast find of the quarter.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A man after my own heart. Everything is worth saving if it has a story to tell... even plastic.

We have a famous museum over here in Oxford, built on the collection of man-made items originally accumulated by a guy called Augustus Pitt Rivers and added to after his death. He was a 19th century pioneer for museum display of archaeological and ethnological items in a way that reflected ordinary life. The displays are grouped by what the items were used for, rather than where they came from, how rare or how old they might be. There are sections with titles like 'MAKING FIRE' where Zippo lighters sit alongside fire-drill bows; 'HATS' where construction workers' hard hats sit happily alongside primitive tropical items woven from palm leaves; 'TOYS' where mass-produced tinplate cars from China and plastic soldiers sit alongside prehistoric clay horses; and other sections with titles like 'FISHING', 'COOKING, 'TREATMENT OF THE DEAD' plus numerous others full of a mixture of everyday items ranging from ancient to modern. They're intended to make you think about how these things fulfilled people's needs and how those needs evolved over time. Its far and away my favourite museum of any that I have visited worldwide.

Gambrinus

Dec 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great collection you have creskol! I really like the Twin Oaks tin do you know what it was for? I had a blasting cap tin like yours in the upper right corner that I gave to my ex-wife, I was told that the round cans are more rare than the square cans for blasting caps and you have two of them.

I think my favorite is the can to the left of the pellets, do you know what it was for?

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A man after my own heart. Everything is worth saving if it has a story to tell... even plastic.

We have a famous museum over here in Oxford, built on the collection of man-made items originally accumulated by a guy called Augustus Pitt Rivers and added to after his death. He was a 19th century pioneer for museum display of archaeological and ethnological items in a way that reflected ordinary life. The displays are grouped by what the items were used for, rather than where they came from, how rare or how old they might be. There are sections with titles like 'MAKING FIRE' where Zippo lighters sit alongside fire-drill bows; 'HATS' where construction workers' hard hats sit happily alongside primitive tropical items woven from palm leaves; 'TOYS' where mass-produced tinplate cars from China and plastic soldiers sit alongside prehistoric clay horses; and other sections with titles like 'FISHING', 'COOKING, 'TREATMENT OF THE DEAD' plus numerous others full of a mixture of everyday items ranging from ancient to modern. They're intended to make you think about how these things fulfilled people's needs and how those needs evolved over time. Its far and away my favourite museum of any that I have visited worldwide.

Redcoat, that sounds like an incredible museum I would like to visit someday. I read the description to my wife, and she thinks our house is in the beginning unorganized stage of a similar museum.
Creskol, I sure love finding old tins. It's always exciting digging them up because of the small chance there may be something inside, but especially there relation to modern day items.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat Collection Creskol, Thats one way to clean up discarded containers. Why no one thinks of going back to metal packaging instead of plastic is a mystery to me. I do my part at putting all the plastic I have to get rid of in my county provide at a cost to me recycling bin, but still much of the plastic gets away and scattered all over the country, lakes, oceans, rivers and streams. Just looking at my can of Longhorn Winter Green Long Cut, it's all made of plastic now. Sad to think the future will have nothing interesting to detect, unless someone invents the plastic detector.

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool! How do you clean em up? Mine always come out like crap.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant believe that you would leave Mabel Agnes and Beckie out of that line up....:laughing7: Really though, cant agree with you more. I have lots of smalls in my cases that I love just the same.Nice pieces of history:thumbsup:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Truth, your Life Insurance Policy is caught up to date? Lol How in the world have you been?

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice collection you have Creskol. History has always and will always be Important even though many are trying their darndest to Destroy it.

snaps

May 6, 2009
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Goldmaxx, Compass GSP, Garrett Infinium
Crekol,
Nice, Im really liking the California Tooth pill made by a perfume company- wonder what was in that stuff

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crekol,
Nice, Im really liking the California Tooth pill made by a perfume company- wonder what was in that stuff

I'm not creskol, but the word 'tablet' doesn't mean the tin contained pills. Inside was a single slab of compressed powder that was the forerunner of prepared toothpaste. You just wetted your toothbrush and worked it on the tablet to pick up enough material to clean your teeth. Typical ingredients were mainly chalk, bicarb, salt and later more sophisticated abrasives nd things like zinc chloride for antibacterial properties and calcium fluoride for enamel protection. Plus some kind breath-freshening fragrance.

The first tin (the green painted one) is from 1907-1922 and the second tin (the plain metal one) is from 1923-1930. In 1939 the company changed name to Avon Products Inc. (yes, that Avon) with the California Perfume Company as a wholly-owned subsidiary before it was dissolved by Avon in 1957.

snaps

May 6, 2009
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Goldmaxx, Compass GSP, Garrett Infinium
Red Coat, very nice info thanks! Sounds like no one needed breath mints or chewing gum back then!

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Garrett GTI 2500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just fantastic!

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some of the tins, tubes, cosmetics, lipsticks, match book covers, etc that I have dug up over the years. Not the most stellar artifacts by any means, but they do hold their place in history. The pellet cans, which were not dug, are local history from the 1970's era of our local hardware store, and they still have the old labels on them. They cost $ 1.15 cents at the time. Anyhow, while this all might be trash to most, it's preserving a wee bit of history to me. Enjoy

creskol, nice collection & well said. A few years ago I attended a metal detecting club meeting. One of the members gave a presentation about, of all things, pull tabs. What we consider trash today, might help someone in 100 years determine how old a site is by looking at the pull tabs they dig.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread