Begginers luck or intuition?

eccentric

Tenderfoot
Mar 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to say up front this lot belongs to my friend who is getting on in years and doesn't have internet but I thought it was interesting story.

A person I know got a reasonably basic metal detector just for fun about 12 months ago, they went to popular beaches on 2 occasions and only found ring pulls off cans however a few months ago a very old run down house of some 100+ years was marked for demolition it had in its earliest years been a doctors rooms/surgery, in recent years home to squatters/homeless. My friend has a morbid curiosity and went with the metal detector to wander around and see if he could turn up anything from its allegedly much rumoured dark past. He only found a few rusty nails and was going home but felt the urge to attack the now 5metre hedge, quickly he found a tin almost completely buried. It was rusted shut and completely rusted over on the outside too, he was going to toss it away (and did) but it rattled so he took it home. It had jewellery in it he thought it would be cheap fake stuff and left it on the sheds workbench until I asked to see it and check it out. He was so unimpressed at find a heap of fake junk that he dumped it on my table saying "you can keep it". Admittedly his eyesight isn't 100% but I immediately found the two charm bracelets were sterling as well as all the charms but the gold heart locket was plated. He was surprised and I continued to check the rest without commenting on any of it so it cam as a huge surprise to him that all the rest (mostly rings) were white gold and that had me curious about whether the stones might be valuable or just cheap diamond look alikes, so off to the jewellers we went and OMG real diamonds. Over time as I could afford I got valuations (only of the rings) and they total $29,875. I felt guilty and tried to give them back but he was adamant the he wants me to have them as he has no relatives to give them to,.. so very lucky me. The verneil (early man made and highly collectible) sapphire is one of my favourites.
So rings are gold with diamonds one has a vern eil sapphire one is white sapphire, silver bracelets charms and chains
only fakes are a silver ring with green unidentified stone and plated heart locket

IMG_9013.JPG

Upvote 6

terry g

May 9, 2009
In the Mediterranean on a yacht.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
2 x Excalibur ll, Excal 1000,
G'day,
Isn't that what mates are for:laughing7:...Even after finding out most where real he still let you keep them...good on him! Some nice oldies there, lucky you.
Still have fond memories of MDing the east coast of Aus.
terry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread