Three Guys Taking a Dump!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought you might like to see what I regard as my best find, although from some years ago, and for historical reasons rather than value. It came from the Thames foreshore, east of London. It’s lead, 42mm (a little over an inch and a half) in diameter and a thick chunky thing.

It took some aggressive cleaning, including the use of an industrial product used for restoring the finish on roofing lead, to bring out the detail but frustratingly I couldn’t make out what I thought was a date at the bottom.

Dsc_0603.jpg Dsc_0604.jpg

The curious thing is that the wording of the legends is mostly (but not completely) in reversed mirror image, with numerous errors. Almost as if produced by someone illiterate or not bright enough to realise that an engraved die produces a reversed cast. What is sometimes known in the numismatic world as “blundered”. There’s a latin quote: CONCORDIA RES PARVAE CRESCVNT which has been used as a motto by various states at different times and I was leaning towards it being Dutch.

The hilarious thing is that on one side there are three guys with their trousers down, taking a dump(!) and the other side shows three guys having a dust-up with swords. My belief was that it probably represented a satirical observation on the contempt shown by some group of three European countries for a treaty or squabbling about territories, borders and empires. A bit like the period satirical cartoon prints you sometimes see. But, without a date, I didn’t know which of many such historical disputes it might relate to.

Thanks to those fine folks at the British Museum, it was identified as a satirical medal produced in Germany in 1714, expressing national discontent felt at the conclusion of the ‘Peace of Utrecht’ and a belief that the peace treaties signed in 1713/1714 by the belligerents who participated in the War of the Spanish Succession wouldn’t hold good.

They have a better condition example in their collection (drat… theirs is silver), reproduced below. It’s rare but I don’t know how rare for those made in lead, although I've never seen another one. Note that theirs is reversed too, so I have mirrored the pictures in Photoshop for ease of reading:

BM.jpg
[Copyright of the Trustees of the British Museum]

Obverse: Three men, an Englishman, a Frenchman, and a Dutchman, all partially undressed, defecating under a wall. All three have words issuing from their mouths. The Dutchman is smoking a pipe. CONCORDIA RES PARVAE CRESCVNT (By concord small things increase)
Dutchman: IK MAEK MEE (I do it also)
Frenchman: SI VOUS PLAIT (If you please)
Englishman: I AM PLEASE
NOOT BREEKT ISEN (Necessity breaks Iron)
PAX OU TREC (Peace or dirt, and also a “pun” for the Peace of Utrecht.)

Reverse: The same three men, fully dressed, throw at each other the contents of the heap which they are represented making on the other side.
DISCORDIA MAXIMA DILABVNTVR (By discord the greatest things will fall)
Dutchman: WAT! BEHAEGT U DAT? (What! Does that please you?)
Frenchman: SANS REGARD (Without regard)
Englishman: FIE, WHAT IS THAT!
DAT SOL IE HIER BEWISN (That I will prove here)
PAX IN TREC (Peace in dirt, reiterating the “pun” on Peace of Utrecht on the obverse)

Upvote 47

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting! Thanks for the research!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've not seen another either.

I think it goes without saying that at the time they would have produced more base metal examples than precious, maybe in bronze as well. Unless it was a test piece, but I doubt that. However, being Lead-Alloy probably means less survived in good condition. Whatever the case its a nice find.

Do you still mud-lark? (I have a permit but haven't been in awhile)

OP
OP
Red-Coat

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've not seen another either.

I think it goes without saying that at the time they would have produced more base metal examples than precious, maybe in bronze as well. Unless it was a test piece, but I doubt that. However, being Lead-Alloy probably means less survived in good condition. Whatever the case its a nice find.

Do you still mud-lark? (I have a permit but haven't been in awhile)

Thanks for the comments. I haven't mud-larked for some years but was intending to apply for a new permit... and then we went into lockdown. I'll wait until it gets easier to travel into London. I'm a half-hour train ride away but have friends who recently bought an appartment on the north bank overlooking the river, so that will make it very convenient.

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a really cool piece, thanks for sharing. I thought my laxitive token with a cherub on a chamber pot was funny, but this is three times as funny!
What do you mean they were making a serious political point. lol

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great thread and too funny.

And I thought this thread was going to be about three friends who found some kind of trash pit (dump) with spectacular finds in it! :icon_thumleft:
Silly me. :laughing7:

Ha ha same! I was going to reply with something about how I go dump digging with my whole family...

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I read the title of this thread I was thinking it was a play on words for three treasure seekers excavating an old bottle dump.

Nope. Three guys taking a dump.

Very interesting history lesson, though. Certainly a conversation piece!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread