May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess you can tell I'm bored. When I can't go detecting, I kill people.....oops I mean I go a little off colour. So whats second best to detecting except my other half (have to say that ;)) & fishing - its pulling out old finds of course. I hope I'm not the only one that sorts, categorises, re-categorises, stares at & relive the good old days when finds were everywhere ::)

Following the trend in this best finds section, I'm going to ask you to post your COMPLETE collection of lead toys/objects. UPDATED - All single toys now count (didn't realise these were so rare). Now I hope this will create some interest as I don't think its been done yet ???

Looking through these takes me back to being a kiddie detectorist & my roots of detecting. ie the back & front yards/gardens of some friends 1930s houses. I found a tons of coins as well.

Most of the better ones are from those gardens & all the rest which are broken in the ploughed fields.

NOW GET SORTING ;D (and don't forget to wash your hands after touching those dangerous lead figures) ::)

Attachments

• lead toys.jpg
    lead toys.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 3,218
Upvote 0
I would have a few real nice soldiers in my collection, but I gained something better. 10 years back I asked to detect an old property that an elderly lady lived at and she gave the go ahead. After I was finished her yard I knocked at the door to thank her and show her a couple of real nice soldiers that I had just found. When she looked at them, her expression changed and tears started to roll down her face. She explained that her husband that had recently passed away, had always kept his lead soldiers since his childhood and cherished them beyond anything. As the years went on, he had given them away to grand kids and probably lost a few as well. She told me that after his death she had looked everywhere for at least one and the grand kids were grown up and no longer had any. I didn't have to even think twice about it and handed her the 2 soldiers. The joy that she now displayed was worth more than a million dollars as tears of happiness rolled down her cheeks. I'll never forget that day.
I thought I would add this story here and tell you all about the 2 best soldiers I have ever found.
Don't ya love this hobby!
Dave.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only a collection of one...J. Hill and Co. Airman.

Attachments

• Soldier 009.jpg
    Soldier 009.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,827
  • Soldier 009.jpg
    Soldier 009.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,827

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: POST YOUR LEAD TOY COLLECTION

castle keep said:
oh yea i can post what i have but I'm guessing others don't have many so I'm just saying this thread is unfair :-[ :-\ :-\ :'(
I don't understand what you mean as unfair? Do you mean that other searchers that have not found lead toys can't post?

What's bad about that?; I do it all the time and its done by others on this site all the time. There are many posts where I don't have one of the objects or coins posted, so I can't show anything. So what? Then I just look. As an example just think about all the find objects and coins that people post about the Civil War in the USA (many on this site), but we cannot post one of them, because we don't have those objects here in Europe, we can only look at the post and drool at the mouth. Is that unfair? Not in my eyes.

I am also surprised that not more people have found lead toys, they were quiet popular in the past. Maybe a lot of searchers have found them but not kept them.

But 'unfair' is not a good word to use in this context, that's my feeling anyway.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Only a collection of one...J. Hill and Co. Airman.

Yeah, but a really nice one :icon_thumright:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Muddyhandz said:
O.K. I'll bite. I have more in some other box located in the dreaded pile. Great idea Cru for starting this thread. I like everybody's collection here.
Dave.

Great bird whistle on the bottom right of your photo. :thumbsup: It appears that some of those whistles date back to the mid-1800s and are made of pewter rather than lead. :wink:

Best Wishes,

Buckles

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Here's one Cru, I didn't like it's dull grey colour so sprayed it gold. It looks ok now on a shelf.

HH Robert.

Attachments

• pig.jpg
    pig.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,783

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The golden pig :D That's a pretty neat idea. I like it :thumbsup:

Here is some more. I put a King Edward quarter in there for scale. I forgot I had this stuff and there is still one more box for me to find somewhere. Sorry for the bad photos but enjoy anyways.
Dave.

Attachments

• P1060865.JPG
    P1060865.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,760
  • P1060868.JPG
    P1060868.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 1,736
  • P1060869.JPG
    P1060869.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,722
BuckleBoy said:
Muddyhandz said:
O.K. I'll bite. I have more in some other box located in the dreaded pile. Great idea Cru for starting this thread. I like everybody's collection here.
Dave.

Great bird whistle on the bottom right of your photo. :thumbsup: It appears that some of those whistles date back to the mid-1800s and are made of pewter rather than lead. :wink:

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Thanks Buckles. I have two. The first one I found complete and years later I found the bird section and finally a year later at a different spot I found the whistle to make two complete. I always knew it was a whistle but then I friend of mine filled it up with water and showed me how it really works. What a neat sound!
Cheers,
Dave.

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. Can any of you who submitted photos of Lead Toys estimate the age of them? Would be nice to know.

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MEinWV said:
OK, here are mine, including the proverbial horses a$$. Some of these may not be lead, but other cast metals.
I am interested to see close ups from the following items in you photo, look interesting..
-the box, third down on the right side
-the dish, middle top row
-the item that is on the next to the last row, on the left side.
Could you do that?

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
and had to dig through boxes to collect the toxic lead in the collection of the last two years.
Greetings! :hello:

Attachments

• fdefwefwefef 011.JPG
    fdefwefwefef 011.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,480
  • fdefwefwefef 010.JPG
    fdefwefwefef 010.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,489
  • fdefwefwefef 007.JPG
    fdefwefwefef 007.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 1,509
  • fdefwefwefef 002.JPG
    fdefwefwefef 002.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,516
  • fdefwefwefef 019.JPG
    fdefwefwefef 019.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,410
  • fdefwefwefef 017.JPG
    fdefwefwefef 017.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,430
  • fdefwefwefef 016.JPG
    fdefwefwefef 016.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,439
  • fdefwefwefef 014.JPG
    fdefwefwefef 014.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 1,448
  • fdefwefwefef 013.JPG
    fdefwefwefef 013.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,478
  • fdefwefwefef 021.JPG
    fdefwefwefef 021.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,404
  • fdefwefwefef 022.JPG
    fdefwefwefef 022.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,388
  • fdefwefwefef 030.JPG
    fdefwefwefef 030.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 1,385

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Has the man in pic no11 had both his heads chopped off :o :laughing9:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
I'm wondering what's that dangling in the second picture from last :icon_scratch: between his legs :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

SS

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silver Searcher said:
shaun7 said:
I'm wondering what's that dangling in the second picture from last :icon_scratch: between his legs :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

SS

:laughing9: :laughing9:

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Silver Searcher said:
shaun7 said:

SS

Horse tack :laughing9:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the knacked looking soldiers in the last picture, had a tough day in the office :D

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader that is some huge lead toy collection :icon_thumleft: I only been swinging the coil just a week shy of year now so i dont have many leads 4 i think my favorite is that early 1900,s race car # 46 and then The Old Man from the Sea . I like everyone's finds Dd60

Attachments

• lead toys.jpg
    lead toys.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 1,388

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread