Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a beautiful Hutchison stoppered bottle I dug when I was a sophomore in High School on December 31, 1974. I remember because I came down with the flu that night - New Years Eve :laughing7:

It's Embossed:
Seeter's Vichy and Carbonated Beverages
L. Cohen & Co.
Pittsburg, PA

lion hutch.jpg.JPG lion hutch large.jpg.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 21

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very, very nice bottle! Do you have a technique for reducing the haze often found in old bottles like this?

snaps

May 6, 2009
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Goldmaxx, Compass GSP, Garrett Infinium
Steve, either your a master bottle cleaner or that was one clean dump!

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thad & Snaps....
I got lucky with this one. They don't always come out the ground like this one. Here are other Hutchison sodas I've dug. A lot of them have the cloudy opalescence aka sick glass.

I was wondering if anyone would comment on this bottle :dontknow:

Thad....
The serious bottle diggers tumble them in some type of media to get rid of that. To clean the insides, I swirl lead shot from a shotgun shell mixed with cleanser and a little water to get rid of what I can't with a bottle brush.

HutchSoda1.JPG

Last edited:

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real nice hutch. For me this type of bottle is always tough to price . There are hundreds of different embossed hutches . Most every town old enough had local embossed hutches . So they are very common and when I used to dig sometimes I’d hit a spot and dig dozens of a particular brewer or soda maker . In other words a local collector would pay a premium to put one they’ve never seen in their collection. Someone else likely not . That said yours is very cool with the great and copious embossing . Condition looks good also . Aqua is of course the most common color. If that thing were cobalt blue you’d have a killer bottle . My guess assuming it’s not locally common is $40-80 dollars . Even though; I love it . Keep it and enjoy it .

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real nice hutch. For me this type of bottle is always tough to price . There are hundreds of different embossed hutches . Most every town old enough had local embossed hutches . So they are very common and when I used to dig sometimes I’d hit a spot and dig dozens of a particular brewer or soda maker . In other words a local collector would pay a premium to put one they’ve never seen in their collection. Someone else likely not . That said yours is very cool with the great and copious embossing . Condition looks good also . Aqua is of course the most common color. If that thing were cobalt blue you’d have a killer bottle . My guess assuming it’s not locally common is $40-80 dollars . Even though; I love it . Keep it and enjoy it .
You are so right about Hutchison Sodas. Someone might pay a premium for one from their hometown, but the price for the same bottle is greatly reduced 50 miles away. But this one is not your garden variety slug plate embossed hutch. And it is not locally common. I know of one other and the embossing on it was worn down from going through the washing and bottling machinery. Mine may have never been re-filled. Thanks for your pricing estimate.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice glass, Steve. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks XR7. This post went 23 days without a comment LOL. My poor bottle was beginning to think nobody liked him :laughing7:

stewielouie

May 14, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
MXT, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can use a liquid floor wax inside. Swirl it around and when it dries it’s clear.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She's a beaut....if I had dug it and kept it this long it would be nfs It would be priceless just for the memory, not just because it is an attractive bottle, which it certainly is. Thanks for sharing it:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She's a beaut....if I had dug it and kept it this long it would be nfs It would be priceless just for the memory, not just because it is an attractive bottle, which it certainly is. Thanks for sharing it:thumbsup:
Thanks. It's not for sale, but it's always nice to get a value estimate.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful bottle! :occasion14:

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
That's an awesome Hutch Steve.

I just started collecting them not long ago.

I have a pretty extensive bottle collection. Mostly dug but I've bought about 100 bottles in the past year or so.

However I have never dug a hutch. I hate the white calcium that forms on them.

You are correct. They tumble them. Or for a temporary fix I've seen people coat the insides with mineral oil etc.

Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions