kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A miner's Stash

I hunt predominatly gold rush era sites in California,and as metal detecting goes one never knows what is going to pop out.Last year I was hunting a site I had detected several times before and not found anything of great significance.This particular day I got a pretty strong signal about six or seven inches deep and when I pulled it out of the hole I first thought it to be a cigar container,but upon closer inspection it appeared to be two brass objects stuck together,and when shaken something inside it rattled.It is not uncommon to find brass shotgun shells(later date than gold rush) but that was what these appeared to be?I wanted to open it in the feild but I didnt want to damage it,so I waited to get it home took some pics and wriggled it open.I expected maybe some Indian beads or matches to fall out but was pleasantly surprised when 139 grains(weight)of gold fell out!!!It probably wasnt Gold rush era but some poor miner lost his take!The stories this cherished find could tell!!

Attachments

• container.jpg
    container.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 4,716
  • end1.jpg
    end1.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 4,707
  • end2.jpg
    end2.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 4,700
  • open.jpg
    open.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 4,725
Upvote 0
OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: A miner's Stash

Roundhat said:
he was probably hammered when he buried it. hahahaaha..
Might have been!!!It was probably full when he started!!

garym94931

Jan 21, 2008

yep. there probably are thousands of such items around that we walk on every time we go camping, etc., but nobody ever knows. like the old WWII plane that was found recently buried in the sand on which thousands of beach goers walked every year since WWII. thanks for the pics and the story.

OroGrande

Apr 1, 2007
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

Probably a Highgrader's stash. It was a very popular way to "appropriate" without being obvious. Just a thought!

garym94931

Jan 21, 2008

OroGrande said:
Probably a Highgrader's stash. It was a very popular way to "appropriate" without being obvious. Just a thought!

i'm not sure if you mean what i think you mean, but you just reminded me of something i once saw in some prison movie that was set WAY long ago i.e. devils island? papillion? where inmates kept their valuables hidden inside their body by way of a smooth, firm capsule????? that makes sense if you meant that. very good possibility. only in this case, it wouldn't be an inmate but a miner with gold dust.

OroGrande

Apr 1, 2007
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

Alot of mines had armed guards that "checked" each miner after a day's work. Highgrader's would put their take in empty cartridges and "crimp" with their teeth or put two together. Simply drop them on the ground for later retreival when the guards weren't checking. No one would pick up a spent cartridge shell. Alot were overlooked or not refound by the highgraders. Great for us MD'ers.

K

KirkTN

That is one of the most original finds I've ever seen. Don't you know it's got a Heck of a story!!!

Thanks For Sharing!

KirkTN

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for all the replies,everything we find has a story but some are just a little more intriguing!!

r49miner

Sep 12, 2006
Idaho
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think I'd be looking around that spot for a long time. Where there's one could be many. Congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread