Top 10 +2 :) My Be$t Relic$

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Continuing on with showing best finds, I am posting only what I consider my top relics in this post and will hold off on the coins. When you been detecting into your 3rd decade, you amass a rather big collection and to pick a top ten or so list is very hard, heck a top 20 list could be even a challenge.
So, with that said, I used existing photos I had, I might even be missing a better find, just not sure, but I narrowed the photos down to Top 15 and will post my Top 12 in this post.

#12 JACKSON'S VICTORY BUTTON 1829

#11 NAVAL BUTTON LATE 1790'S

#10 MARTINGALE, HEART SHAPED 1860'S

#9 ATLANTIC CITY NJ BUS DRIVER BADGE 1903

#8 POLICEMAN'S BADGE FOR WWI MUNITIONS TOWN/PLANT 1918

#7 PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGN BADGES FOR WILLIAM HENRY HARRSION (2 EA) and GROVER CLEVELAND 1840/41 & 1885

#6 WHIG POLITICAL PARTY CONGRESSIONAL CAMPAIGN BUTTON 1834

#5 LOVE TOKEN - 2 SIDED - MADE FROM SEATED LIBERTY QUARTER 1890

#4 REV WAR CONTINENTAL LIGHT DRAGOONS BUTTON - late 1770's

#3 KING GEORGE I INDIAN PEACE MEADAL circa 1714-1720

#2 US TOPOGRAPHICAL ENGINEER BUTTON -UNIQUE - 1820

#1 HAMMERED COPPER "US" PLATE - DATE UNK - est War of 1812 era

#12The Jackson Victory button(Albert's PC 78) is PLAIN on the front side, only the backside has the wording, it pays to clean all flatties, you never know......

ACYBUSDRIVER.JPG

#11 One of the first Naval Buttons authorized after the Navy was disbanded after the Rev War, I do not see an exact one of it in Albert's book, but it is similar to NA 6A, 13 five pointed stars, No backmark, cast mark evident.

AMATOL BADGE.JPG

#10 This Martingale that is heart shaped is lead filled in the back, only one hook is left of three. This style supposedly is of the style used during the Civil War?

JACKSONS VICTORYBUTTON.JPG

#9 The nickel plated 1903 Atlantic City Bus Driver Badge was a special joy to find, local history, great shape and I just love how they spelled Bus as Buss, which I believe was acceptable back then.

EarlyUSNaval15mmreduced.jpg

#8 A perfectly preserved artifact from a World War I Munitions factory, known as AMATOL, which was a 5000 acre bomb plant and town, of which none exists today. This was one of the Federal Governments Policeman's badges that I found. I did try the National Archive records trying to find out the name of who held badge #441, to no avail. I know of one other badge that has been found and that is on display at a Law Enforcement supply store.

Heart Martingale.jpg

#7 I have been fortunate enough to have found three 19th century Presidential Campaign badges. The all are holed, which is how I think they came and I love all three, each are a part of our great history.

ACYBUSDRIVER.JPG

#6 This somewhat valuable button is so cool, it has the Liberty Cap on the front with the words E PLURBIS UNUM and the date 1834. The backside says TRUE WHIGS OF 76 & 34 One of the few buttons that has significance on both sides of the button.

AMATOL BADGE.JPG

#5 1890 Love Token, a rather unusual Love Token in that it has been inscribed on both sides and most likely was a Seated Liberty Quarter, based on the 1890 date and the fact it was found very near the site of an 1890's big amusement park, that possibly would be a place to get one made. I tried for years to see if I could match up the initials with anyone living at that time, to no avail.

Political Campaign Medals.jpg

#4 Revoluntary War Continental Light Draggons button made of Lead! A figure on his horse with a drawn sabre. This tiny button is referenced in Don Troiani's Rev War button book and listed as a ACD.c variety. Very rare, and the only others found of this variety were found in northern NJ.

1834Whigbuttoncombined.jpg

#3 King George I Indian Peace Medal, has a reported time frame of 1714-1720. When I found this I thought, "what the heck kind of King George coin is this!" It took several e-mails to some Colonial experts before I got the ID on this one. Despite its condition, I did part with this item in auction and it did very well. There have been more found since mine, one in Canada that was in much better shape.

1890LoveToken.jpg

#2 U.S. Topographical Engineer button, 1820. This button is UNIQUE, defintion of unique is the only one known to exist as of this time! The story behind this button is posted at this link, it is a very valuable button. (Wish I still owned it sometimes) Go to these two links for the stories. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,76789.0.html and http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,104200.0.html

Dragoonboth.jpg

#1 Wow, what can say, yes, this is not my most valuable item at all, but it IS my FAVORITE! Why? I really don't know, but when I first picked it up many years ago at the oldest millsite in our county, I somehow felt up close and personal to someone from long aog who hammered out this beautiful pieces of copper and then punched using a nail the simple letters U S . Of course I will never know the true age of this artifact, nor its exact use/purpose, but it does not matter. It is a handcrafted piece of our local history but for guessing purposes I will say War of 1812 era, based on the useage of the letters US in lieu of USA and considering the other artifacts found at the site it came from.

PeaceMedal.jpg

I hope this was an enjoyable post, took some time to put together and again, picking out ten or more top relic finds is tough. I have many more I would l have loved to include but I picked what I did.

Preserving history is part of our hobby. Researching and knowing also what you found is important and sharing the information with others is paramount...........

HH

Don in South Jersey

Attachments

• USTE Don.jpg
    USTE Don.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,138
  • HAMMEREDCOPPERUSlite.jpg
    HAMMEREDCOPPERUSlite.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,176
Upvote 1

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Top 10 +2 :) Best Relics found by me

Hi don are the initials on the love token FNW?? Mine are FPW just wondered :) Great finds....aa

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The extra 2 were worth adding!

Some pretty awesome keepers there. By the way you listed it appears to be a true top 12? I didn't arrange mine that way because I hope to be changing it up quite a bit in the next few years. :-X

Gotta get more people putting on their top ten. It makes it fun trying to better the list!

MarkDz

Oct 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver UMax

Sweet oogly-moogly, that's some nice stuff. :o My favorite's the Indian peace medal... if you find any others you want to sell, LMK!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Truly awesome finds Don. I would be happy with just one of those twelve.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Outstanding bunch of early US history there . Just phenomenal!

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

I'd have arranged them differently ;). What a great top 12 list! I can't wait to see the top 10 coins.

The Bulgarian

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
South Florida east coast.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
In the water Aquasound ,back up Aquasound,Fisher cz20,Minelab Excalibur 15 inch wot coil .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds.Congrats.The love token is my favorite.

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
Encore! Encore! I want to see more! Please keep posting items from your collection. Simply some of the best and most incredible finds I've seen posted on T-Net by a single detectorist. Don, I bet it's safe to say you have one of the best collections of dug early coppers and relics in the country.

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comments, the relics are often overlooked on this forum and yet they have more history to them than the coins, but the vast majority seem to prefer "eye candy" :) I will post my best coins later, but right now wanted to bring up something about one of the relics I posted.

The Heart Shaped Martingale, I said I think it is one of Civil War era, but really am not sure nor not even a semi-expert in that area to say one way or the other. But others have told me it is a Civil War era Martingale due to the lead backing and attachment points on it.

With that said I did some searching this week on Civil War Martingales and found a couple for sale and I was floored by the asking prices. I never thought something like that could be valued in the 500-900 dollar range, but maybe they are. So again, relics are cool to find, great pieces of history and even some are quite valuable. :)

Don

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Don:

I always look forward to reading your posts, and you have not let me down with this one.

Very nicely done!

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, congratulations:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions