My TOP 10 + 2 Ole Coppers

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was not sure what to pick, the most valuable ones, the prettiest ones or do a combination of the two. So I do have my top valuable ones shown and some of the prettier ones, at least for being ground found coppers they are pretty. :)
Will do a Top 10 +2 Silver post in upcoming days.

#12 is not my oldest copper but it is the oldest great conditioned one.
1717KingGeorgeI HalfpenceTEXT12.jpg
#11 is a nice example of a Regal King George II Halfpenny.
1751KGIIHalfpenceTEXT11.jpg
#10 a very pretty late year Large Cent I found this year.
1845 Coronet Head Large Cent TEXT10.jpg
#9 a beautiful example of a Counterfeit King George II Irish Halfpenny.
1781KGIII Irish HalfpenceTEXT9.jpg
#8 is a great shape Half Cent that is one of the Spiked Chin varieties.
1804HalfCentTEXT8.jpg
#7 is a common Vermont Copper but it is in decent shape for displaying.
1788 VermontRyder16Text7.jpg
#6 a very clear strike early year Large Cent that is one of the scarcer varieties.
1798LargeCentTEXT6.jpg
#5 is a very rare counterfeit King George III halfpenny that currently is being studied by an expert.
1784KGIIITEXT5.jpg
#4 a beautiful late die state of a New Jersey Copper.
The 1788redTEXT4.jpg
#3 this 1796 Liberty Cap came out of the sugar sand in this condition, if only more could be like this one.
1796LibertyCapTEXT3.jpg
#2 a valuable variety of the 1794 Large Cent, perhaps the most valuable coin I have ever found.
1794s19aTEXT2.jpg
#1 I still remember the day I was hunting a tilled field in the light rain and saw this coin lying on the surface at the same time the coil swept over it and gave that sweet sound. Not too many 1793 Half Cents are ever found, especially compared to 1793 Large Cents which are more common. (But not for me) ;)
1793Text1.jpg

Hope the photos were good enough to make you all want to get out and find a goodie.

Don

Upvote 2

Fish-Gate

Jan 10, 2006
Huntington, Indiana, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the look of the 1845 8)

Drudge

Nov 19, 2007
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab: eTrac, Excalibur II, Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing finds Don. Regarding cleaning of your coins is it something you do or have it done professionally?

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can say is WOW! Those are sure some beautiful coins, a nice reward for lots of research I am sure.

Steve

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
simply awesome! those coins are superb!

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drudge said:
Amazing finds Don. Regarding cleaning of your coins is it something you do or have it done professionally?

A good percentage of my coppers are found in great shape due to the sugar sand type soil I find some in. I hunt mostly in the woods, which lacks the fertilizer that is applied to fields and parks that eats away copper. The coins that come out good get all cleaned by me and most get the peroxide treatment if needed but a few in that top 12 of mine needed only a washing off with distilled water. However, I do get my share of corroded coppers also, I do the best I can for them in cleaning, damage already done by the acidic conditions, in those coins I try to remove as much dirt as possible, then dry thoroughly and then coat with either Blue Ribbon or Wax........

Don

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
All of those finds were great! You just got my blood pumping to go out detecting! The finds were very nice! :thumbsup: Hope you get many more fabulous finds in the future! :thumbsup:

Drudge

Nov 19, 2007
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab: eTrac, Excalibur II, Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Drudge said:

A good percentage of my coppers are found in great shape due to the sugar sand type soil I find some in. I hunt mostly in the woods, which lacks the fertilizer that is applied to fields and parks that eats away copper. The coins that come out good get all cleaned by me and most get the peroxide treatment if needed but a few in that top 12 of mine needed only a washing off with distilled water. However, I do get my share of corroded coppers also, I do the best I can for them in cleaning, damage already done by the acidic conditions, in those coins I try to remove as much dirt as possible, then dry thoroughly and then coat with either Blue Ribbon or Wax........

Don

Whichever method you used they came out amazing, thx for sharing m8.

Mr_Mojo_Risin

Apr 29, 2008
Eau Claire, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Don... Not only are you are hotshot detectorist but a mind reader! This is my ultimate want list (along with a 1792 Half disme, of course!) ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread