Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
6 months of searching for a Rev war fort in upstate Ny led me to a cornfield which has turned out to not be the fort but the site of a Rev. war captain...all that is left is red brick,stones of the foundation,clam shells,and glass with tons of square nails.

Sometime after 1803 the home vanished,3 1803 Lg Cents seem to confirm it but may have been French & Indian war activity as we have dug a number of KG II coppers , 1721,1739's and 1740's ( The Captain far as I can find out did not live on the plot untill the 1770's )

Dug handfulls of tombacs and standard issue colonial buttons but first time hunting this old long lost home I was digging my umpteenth button and when it came outta the soil back/shank first I was slightly disappointed but picking it up and turning it over I got the shock of my life!! Looking back at me was this goofy cross between a pidgeon and sick looking chicken with a star above his head !!!!! I nearly fainted !!!!

I had to sit down and smack myself several times to be sure I wasnt dreaming...Geo.Washington inaugural has been at the top of my wish list for many years.

I stopped shaking and regained my senses and hopped up on my feet and realized I had better recheck the hole for more but SIGH....only 1 inaugural button in the hole...

So finished hunting that row of corn and moved to the next row and only about 4 feet from where I dug the inaugural I get low steady consistant tone and dig up the pewter "N" button !!!!

I've added the photo of the buttons and I hope it gets added to the post!

Thanks for looking and HH!

Attachments

• gwb8.JPG
    gwb8.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 518
Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Excellent find . Sounds like you have found quite a spot to dig,....Alot of Great Tnet Treasure Hunters in New York.
Welcome to The forum and looking forward to some more of your finds. Pics of the location would be great if you can share that!

OP
OP
Derek752

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Footnote To My Post ....Props To T-Net MountainMan2

And his much appreciated help in finding a button "expert" (Millicent @ Tender Buttons , Ny city) and getting my button appraised and authenticated.

Will post her appraisal letter when I recieve it.

Thanks MM2 !

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find of a lifetime for sure.Looks like an amazingsite!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello my old Colonial friend. :D Super finds and I was actually going to write you about something when I seen that post on another forum... but now I can't remember why. ???

The GW is great but the NY is not something showing up often either.

C.C.

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
You give me new hope for finding one of those here. Good to see more and more New Yorker's on here.
HH,
Donny

BigNuggets

Nov 2, 2007
Toccoa,GA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Classic 2
NIIce Buttons... Dig IT Now you can fix that old coat. Just in time for winter too. ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread