Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely starts with the $10 Gold Piece I found on an old road in the middle of a PA Forest - will never forget seeing it in the hole!!

10DOLLARGOLD01.jpg 10DOLLARGOLD-02.jpg 10DOLLARGOLD-03.jpg 10DOLLARGOLD-04.jpg

Can't forget my 1794 Liberty Cap Cent - we hunted this site over 25 times before I found it with a larger coil about 10" down. The clay definitely saved her, how'd you like to see 1794 clearly staring back at you??!!! WHEW!
1794-libertycap.jpg 1794-libertycapped.jpg

Finally had it graded back a couple months ago and came back in XF with environmental damage which is pretty incredible and the best I could hope for!

1794-ngc.jpg

One of my all time favorite finds. It sat in a pile of junk for a while as I had no idea it was silver. When I looked up the maker's mark and saw it was a prominent Philadelphia silver smith from the late 1700's I knew I had something special. Got it restored and the patina is coming back now - looks amazing!

AReederSilverSpoon-01.jpg AReederSilverSpoon-02.jpg AReederSilverSpoon-03.jpg AReederSilverSpoon-04.jpg

You'll never forget finding a dropped civil war 3 ringer bullet - they are huge!

3RingerBullet.jpg

or a 1700's canon ball fired from the local fort??

CannonBall.jpg

Thought this was a toy gun at first, when I saw the serial# I knew I had the real thing - an 1800's Derringer Pistol!
DarringerPistol.jpg

How about a seated half dollar found on Father's Day? My dad bought me my very first detector and always loved seeing the stuff I'd find detecting and honestly I loved showing him - miss you pop...

1875-SEATEDHALF.jpg

This little button turned out to be something special - an Andrew Jackson Inaugural button

AndrewJacksonInaguralButton.jpg

This copper isn't much to look at, I found it in the river bed when the water was low. Just enough detail left on to identify it as an
Vermont Ryder 6 (RR-6) variety "Vermontensium" - only 75 known to exist.

1785-VermontensiumCopper.jpg

And last but definitely not least - several experts figured this one out, it's a
Machins Mills 17-87B variety, struck over a defective NJ Reverse side planchet.
(basically a counterfeit King George struck on a NJ Planchet stamped at the Machins Mills site)

Considered Unique - sold in Stacks Auction New York, NY

MachinMills-overstrike.jpg MachinMills-overstrike02.jpg MachinMills-overstrike03.jpg

So that's some of my best finds from over the past 30 years although several were just found this year so goes to show your best finds are still in front of you!
Thanks for looking and special thanks to Paco & the gang for all the fun we've had out there - lots more to come!

vp

Last edited:
Upvote 21

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Outstanding. The three ringer pic gives me hope that the one I found here in town is real as mine has the mold line and it is about the same color.

The eagle gives me hope that one day I myslef will live the thrill of seeing a gold coin in the hole.

Thanks for sharing and Happy Holidays to everyone.

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding. The three ringer pic gives me hope that the one I found here in town is real as mine has the mold line and it is about the same color.

The eagle gives me hope that one day I myslef will live the thrill of seeing a gold coin in the hole.

Thanks for sharing and Happy Holidays to everyone.

Thanks !

Yeah if anything this year has taught me is that treasures are out there - the $10 gold coin, seated half & Vermont copper were all found THIS YEAR

We definitely don't find the volume others do and it can be frustrating for sure (some days I would love to have just a silver merc jump out of the hole!) but that's the nature of the places we go, lots of out of the way spots or vast fields that others have overlooked or just passed through quick - but we hit them over and over again knowing there still might be that one unbelievable stray coin or relic that was missed. Can't tell you how many times the 'last find" was the 'best find'!

Good luck to you and happy holidays to all!

vp

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is an awesome collection! Thank you for sharing it.

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks everyone, as far as the condition of the items listed above:

1794 cent - paid to have NGC conserve it
Machins Mills - is shown in a "dug" state
silver spoon - I had this restored by a Virginia silversmith
Gold Coin - came out of the hole like this!
"Vermontensium" Copper - REALLY wish this was in better shape is super rare - but that is the "dug" state

thanks for the interest,

vp

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread