Great Big Silver Tray

Oct 1, 2018
Western PA, Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's funny how despite all my time spent detecting, my most valuable finds are from thrift stores. I bought this "Sterling by Crosby" tray at a thrift store for $5 earlier this week. Today I brought it to a jeweler and he told me it was 555.6 grams (~19.5 ounces). Silver is currently sitting around $.80 per gram, so it has a melt value of over $450! Definitely the biggest return on investment I've ever had.
I'd like a little advice, though. The jeweler offered $320 for it. I know he also has to make some money, but should I go looking elsewhere for more or accept that offer. I haven't done much metal selling in my life, so any help is appreciated.
IMG_20210123_102505.jpg IMG_20210123_102455.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I sell my scrap silver and gold their take is 15% and I get 85% it might not be the best return but it is the best in my area. Shop around and find out who will give you the best percentage.

OP
OP
EnvoyToTheMolePeople
Oct 1, 2018
Western PA, Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I sell my scrap silver and gold their take is 15% and I get 85% it might not be the best return but it is the best in my area. Shop around and find out who will give you the best percentage.

85% definitely beats the 70% I would get. Either way, that's pretty significant return on investment. I'll look around a little.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd put it aside and find more , then someday melt it all down (when its worth even more):)

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
85% definitely beats the 70% I would get. Either way, that's pretty significant return on investment. I'll look around a little.

That's a good amount of silver. Your jeweller is actually offering a bit better than 70%... more like 77%. Bear in mind that Sterling silver only contains 92.5% silver, so if the spot price for bullion is $0.80 per gram, then a gram of Sterling only has $0.74 worth of silver.

I think you should be able to do rather better than that.

I get a much better deal since I sell silver scrap directly to a bullion dealer rather than a jeweller. I have an account since I buy sheet silver and silver wire for jewellery-making, but anyone can open such an account (in the UK anyway).

OP
OP
EnvoyToTheMolePeople
Oct 1, 2018
Western PA, Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good amount of silver. Your jeweller is actually offering a bit better than 70%... more like 77%. Bear in mind that Sterling silver only contains 92.5% silver, so if the spot price for bullion is $0.80 per gram, then a gram of Sterling only has $0.74 worth of silver.

I think you should be able to do rather better than that.

I get a much better deal since I sell silver scrap directly to a bullion dealer rather than a jeweller. I have an account since I buy sheet silver and silver wire for jewellery-making, but anyone can open such an account (in the UK anyway).

I hadn't even thought about how Sterling is only .925 That's a good point. I'll look into finding a bullion dealer around here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread