Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. Inspired by toasted's post yesterday about his 1764 Spanish one Real discovery, I decided to post about my best find to date. Below the pictures I'll explain why I hesitated to post about it, and I'll also explain how I cleaned it (gently).

As for the discovery itself, some of you may have read my posts about this farm in my town where I've found some excellent items over the last 18 months: a few King Georges, a Royal Navy button from the Revolutionary War era, and various other artifacts. A few weeks ago I posted this story from the same farm: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/648386-lead-imprint-large-cent-why.html but I didn't explain why I was hunting the farm that day.

The farmer is putting in a new driveway, and that driveway runs through the field where I've been finding all the good stuff (the site of a house from the 1700's that stood into the late 1800's). He dug up a nice section of the field and called me to let me know that there was fresh dirt to detect. I found that lead imprint of a large cent in some of that dirt.

But I also found a 1753 Spanish one Real that day, from the Lima, Peru mint, which is my favorite find of all time (so far).
I even managed to capture the actual reveal of the coin on video, because I knew I had a great target (but didn't know how great until I wiped away the dirt). I've included a link to that video below.

Without further ado, here are the pictures. If you'd like to read more about my arrangement with the farm owner or about how I cleaned the coin, that info is below the pictures.
N5ZXjmR.jpg 535QuBE.jpg
o5i4wJr.jpg
A6an6Xx.jpg TJ95Kyf.jpg

The new driveway area:
jCitX2U.jpg

The video of the reveal:

Why I was hesitant to post about this find: my arrangement with the farmer is that I give him everything I find at the farm. This was something he and his family insisted on about 2 years ago because the farm has been in their family for 4 generations, and the older generations didn't want to lose anything of sentimental value.
Over time the current owner and I have modified the arrangement, and on a case-by-case basis I can buy something off an auction site that is similar and he'll take that item, so that I can (or my son can) keep what we find.
In this case that's what I had to do. I had to hunt down a 1753 Spanish one real and give that to him, which I ultimately did. But that took time and also made me reluctant to post in "Today's Finds" because of the time that passed, but also because I felt weird about buying something from an auction site. I felt like that "tainted" the find in some way. Call me weird (or just too honest, I don't know). Anyway, I hope that explanation makes sense.

As for cleaning, the only thing I did at first was a very light rinse with water to remove the dirt. But I was annoyed by the brown stain on the reverse, so I tried using those Andre's Pencils on it - and I'm really happy with the results. I used the pencil lightly followed by the steel wool one, and it only took about 5 minutes to improve the look.

Here's a picture of the coin I found (left) and the one I bought and gave to the farmer (right). He got a pretty nice coin too!
XS8vAB0.jpg

If you've read this far: thank you for reading and for letting me tell my story.

Upvote 9

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that coin Brian. I know you wanted a Spanish silver, and right after you messaged me about where I have found them, BOOM!
You got one!
I'm glad you were able to keep the property owner happy with a similar coin, while holding onto the one you found.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And even though the bought one has more eye appeal, it just isn't as cool as the dug one and the story it would tell as to how it ended up where you found it. Well done, good trade in my book:thumbsup:

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could it be a 1/2 R"
assayer "J," (José Rodriguez Carasa)
In any event, great story and save.
Don.....

Hi Mackaydon. Sorry, but I’m still learning about Spanish coins (this is my first one ever), so I have to ask: When you say “1/2 R”” what do you mean? A half-Real?
Because I thought on the reverse the “R. 1” meant it is a one-Real.

I did find the database entry pictured below that states that, yes as you’ve said the assayer was Jose Rodriguez Carassa.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1613010224.231565.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1613010256.567417.jpg

CZKidd

Dec 12, 2018
NW FL
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI Beach Hunter
Equinox 800, Equinox 600
XP DEUS, XP DEUS 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi everyone. Inspired by toasted's post yesterday about his 1764 Spanish one Real discovery, I decided to post about my best find to date. Below the pictures I'll explain why I hesitated to post about it, and I'll also explain how I cleaned it (gently).

As for the discovery itself, some of you may have read my posts about this farm in my town where I've found some excellent items over the last 18 months: a few King Georges, a Royal Navy button from the Revolutionary War era, and various other artifacts. A few weeks ago I posted this story from the same farm: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/648386-lead-imprint-large-cent-why.html but I didn't explain why I was hunting the farm that day.

The farmer is putting in a new driveway, and that driveway runs through the field where I've been finding all the good stuff (the site of a house from the 1700's that stood into the late 1800's). He dug up a nice section of the field and called me to let me know that there was fresh dirt to detect. I found that lead imprint of a large cent in some of that dirt.

But I also found a 1753 Spanish one Real that day, from the Lima, Peru mint, which is my favorite find of all time (so far).
I even managed to capture the actual reveal of the coin on video, because I knew I had a great target (but didn't know how great until I wiped away the dirt). I've included a link to that video below.

Without further ado, here are the pictures. If you'd like to read more about my arrangement with the farm owner or about how I cleaned the coin, that info is below the pictures.
View attachment 1901257 View attachment 1901258
View attachment 1901259
View attachment 1901260 View attachment 1901261

The new driveway area:
View attachment 1901263

The video of the reveal:

Why I was hesitant to post about this find: my arrangement with the farmer is that I give him everything I find at the farm. This was something he and his family insisted on about 2 years ago because the farm has been in their family for 4 generations, and the older generations didn't want to lose anything of sentimental value.
Over time the current owner and I have modified the arrangement, and on a case-by-case basis I can buy something off an auction site that is similar and he'll take that item, so that I can (or my son can) keep what we find.
In this case that's what I had to do. I had to hunt down a 1753 Spanish one real and give that to him, which I ultimately did. But that took time and also made me reluctant to post in "Today's Finds" because of the time that passed, but also because I felt weird about buying something from an auction site. I felt like that "tainted" the find in some way. Call me weird (or just too honest, I don't know). Anyway, I hope that explanation makes sense.

As for cleaning, the only thing I did at first was a very light rinse with water to remove the dirt. But I was annoyed by the brown stain on the reverse, so I tried using those Andre's Pencils on it - and I'm really happy with the results. I used the pencil lightly followed by the steel wool one, and it only took about 5 minutes to improve the look.

Here's a picture of the coin I found (left) and the one I bought and gave to the farmer (right). He got a pretty nice coin too!
View attachment 1901264

If you've read this far: thank you for reading and for letting me tell my story.

Saaa-weeet find. Who cares about the rest.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread