Saxon Gold Coin Found!

mudslideslim

Mar 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a couple of field pics of my coin moments after I dug it in England last week. As you can see it came out of the ground beautiful - just a little dirt. That's gold for you - doesnt matter how old it is. Here are the particulars: English Saxon Thrysmas gold coin - Crondall type c620 -650 AD -named after the hoard found in 1828. Sent off to the Fitzmuseum Corpus database for recording 1.26g, 11.46mm - 'Witmen type'

Click on the link below to check out the full length movie put together by the outfitter we used in England. It consists of videos I shot with the hatcam, mixed in with some great hunt footage he took along with some still shots with other finds. Enjoy!
hh
slim

Click here to view the video! http://www.colchestertreasurehunting.co.uk/thisweekfindsquick.htm
(scroll down till you see the VIDEO DOWNLOAD PAGE link.)

Attachments

• saxongold620ad645adcropd_640x480.jpg
    saxongold620ad645adcropd_640x480.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 8,784
  • saxongold620ad645adcropd1_640x480.jpg
    saxongold620ad645adcropd1_640x480.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 9,066
Upvote 1
OP
OP
mudslideslim

mudslideslim

Mar 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
djabend said:
mudslideslim said:
CRUSADER said:
I guess I don't have to tell you how rare these are & worth loads of $$$$.

Thought to have circulated as a Shilling.

Did you get a export licence for it ok? I guess the BM might like this one.

Many UK detectorist have searched all their lifes for someone like this & you get it on holiday. You are very lucky & will probably never top it. ;D

The exportation is in the works. Because this type was part of a large hoard (>100) found elsewhere in the early 1800s, the museum already has quite a few in their collection. It is still very rare none the less. Just not quite as rare as some. Thanks for your comments and information.
hh
slim

Here is some info I found

Selection from the Crondall hoard

Anglo-Saxon, gold thrymsas, c.12mm diameter, AD c.640.

The hoard was discovered in 1828 in Crondall, Hampshire. It remains the most important body of evidence for early Anglo-Saxon coinage. The hoard marks the reintroduction of coinage into Britain two centuries after the abandonment of the province by the Romans. The new coinage was modelled on that of Merovingian Gaul, but also looked back to Rome for inspiration. These gold coins may have been the earliest English shillings. The hoard was purchased for the Ashmolean in 1944 as a memorial to Sir Arthur Evans.

http://www.ashmolean.org/collections/?type=highlights&id=83&department=4

and here is a similar coin that was sold, it is not the same variety but same type

http://antikacoins-medals.com/shop_1_5_-233.htm

Lastly a post from the old treasurenet forum mentioning a coin being found that may be the same type sold in the above auction

http://www.treasurenet.com/forum/todaysfinds/archives/19980509/messages/2254.shtml

HH,
Donny

Thanks for all of the great information. I knew about the Ashmolean, but had not seen the big pic of the hoard. -had to save that one. hh
slim

OP
OP
mudslideslim

mudslideslim

Mar 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evolution said:
The coin is great like I said in my above post but the video is very well done too. I enjoyed it. Also, I was curious as to what large coppers you found. I realize they are far more common over there than in the US but I'd love to see a list of the finds. That would be cool. Once again, congratulations on that one in a million find. :o

Thanks bud. The coppers ranged from late 1600s to early 1900s. I did not have the time to appropriately clean them yet. They are still in England awaiting exportation approval. Stay tuned!
hh
slim

Drudge

Nov 19, 2007
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab: eTrac, Excalibur II, Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW congratulations. That is truely one amazing coin :o.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mudslideslim said:
Evolution said:
The coin is great like I said in my above post but the video is very well done too. I enjoyed it. Also, I was curious as to what large coppers you found. I realize they are far more common over there than in the US but I'd love to see a list of the finds. That would be cool. Once again, congratulations on that one in a million find. :o

Thanks bud. The coppers ranged from late 1600s to early 1900s. I did not have the time to appropriately clean them yet. They are still in England awaiting exportation approval. Stay tuned!
hh
slim
I'll definitely check back in from time to time. Kind of sucks that you have to wait for them huh? Thats like being 7 years old and getting a bike for christmas but then being told that you dont actually have the bike yet because the store (Santa if you're 7) has it on back order :D ;D :D ;D

OP
OP
mudslideslim

mudslideslim

Mar 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my thoughts exactly!
hh
slim

Evolution said:
mudslideslim said:
Evolution said:

hh
slim
I'll definitely check back in from time to time. Kind of sucks that you have to wait for them huh? Thats like being 7 years old and getting a bike for christmas but then being told that you dont actually have the bike yet because the store (Santa if you're 7) has it on back order :D ;D :D ;D

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I went on the same tour this past September. It is AWESOME.

I had to settle for more modern gold and a 1st Century Roman.

And YES, when you come back, you just can't hunt the tot-lots. You just can't do it.

If anybody can make it happen, GO. You will never be the same.

Daryl

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I forgot to say that many of the finds from this season are posted on the website. The 2007 finds link is down right now as Chris is rebuilding the server but you can see lots of the finds.

And my finds are still in England as well but it will be another Christmas when they come.

Daryl

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Slim, my eyes still hurt and I'm going to have to get a pace maker as my heart won't slowdown......CONGRATS!!!!!!!!

Desertfox

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
I hope to make a trip to the UK in '08. If that doesn't work, I'll hope to live 'til '09.

But if I make sixteen trips, I won't likely find anything anywhere close. When I see one of these world-class, once-in-a-lifetime finds, I try to imagine what the treasure finder felt. Can't even imagine it.

I HOPE YOU SELL IT (if you're inclined to) FOR A GREAT BIG WAD OF DOUGH! Rhymes with WTG!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Admiral de Salee said:
I hope to make a trip to the UK in '08. If that doesn't work, I'll hope to live 'til '09.

But if I make sixteen trips, I won't likely find anything anywhere close. When I see one of these world-class, once-in-a-lifetime finds, I try to imagine what the treasure finder felt. Can't even imagine it.

I HOPE YOU SELL IT (if you're inclined to) FOR A GREAT BIG WAD OF DOUGH! Rhymes with WTG!!

He may have to if the BM want it.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Admiral de Salee said:

Agree with Crusader it could be classed as treasure because the video shows silver hammered being found. although the silver can not be associated with Saxon treasure the Gold Saxon could be associated with a medieval treasure (I.E hoard more than one coin of precious metal). :-\

OP
OP
mudslideslim

mudslideslim

Mar 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tyre kicker said:
CRUSADER said:
Admiral de Salee said:

Agree with Crusader it could be classed as treasure because the video shows silver hammered being found. although the silver can not be associated with Saxon treasure the Gold Saxon could be associated with a medieval treasure (I.E hoard more than one coin of precious metal). :-\

Just FYI. The video depicts 7 days of detecting from approximately 12-15 different fields. No other coins were found in the area of the Saxon, just buttons and lead. Sorry I neglected to mention that earlier.
hh
slim

OP
OP
mudslideslim

mudslideslim

Mar 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks bud.

desertfox said:
Slim, my eyes still hurt and I'm going to have to get a pace maker as my heart won't slowdown......CONGRATS!!!!!!!!

Desertfox

OP
OP
mudslideslim

mudslideslim

Mar 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks buddy

I will not sell it unless I have to. The history of it all is what I love about this hobby. Hope you get over there yourself soon.
hh
slim

Admiral de Salee said:

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Wow! Slim,,, Fantastic find, Congrats!!!
I had to look at the name of the poster twice,,, ol' mudslideslim in England? lol
Did any of them foreigners say anything about your accent?.. ;D
Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

SukiSal

Sep 30, 2007
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq
Absolutely stunning, dream find!
Congrats, and thoroughly enjoyed the video.
Colchester is only down the road from me, so if any of you come over say Hi. ;D

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice finds keep up the good diggens
WHATS IT WORTH
BESIDES PRICELESS TO YOU...LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions