Saxon Gold Coin Found!

mudslideslim

Mar 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a couple of field pics of my coin moments after I dug it in England last week. As you can see it came out of the ground beautiful - just a little dirt. That's gold for you - doesnt matter how old it is. Here are the particulars: English Saxon Thrysmas gold coin - Crondall type c620 -650 AD -named after the hoard found in 1828. Sent off to the Fitzmuseum Corpus database for recording 1.26g, 11.46mm - 'Witmen type'

Click on the link below to check out the full length movie put together by the outfitter we used in England. It consists of videos I shot with the hatcam, mixed in with some great hunt footage he took along with some still shots with other finds. Enjoy!
hh
slim

Click here to view the video! http://www.colchestertreasurehunting.co.uk/thisweekfindsquick.htm
(scroll down till you see the VIDEO DOWNLOAD PAGE link.)

Attachments

• saxongold620ad645adcropd_640x480.jpg
    saxongold620ad645adcropd_640x480.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 8,784
  • saxongold620ad645adcropd1_640x480.jpg
    saxongold620ad645adcropd1_640x480.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 9,066
Upvote 1

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
mudslideslim said:
thanks bud - you ain't done too bad yerself with those nice early coppers and silvers
hh
slim

KirkPA said:
Mudslim,

I always enjoy your videos, buddy. You have some mad skills, my friend.

Bone Dry Detecting...Kirk

This year has been one of "Bone Dry Detecting's" best. Our group has 49 coppas for the year. I hope 2008 treats us just as good.

Keep the vids coming, my friend.

Bone Dry Detecting...Kirk

OP
OP
mudslideslim

mudslideslim

Mar 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks bud

gmsparky said:
thanks for the great site to go to!!! good job

May 19, 2007
Colchester Essex
Hi Guys,

Man this is a big thread. Guys get confused about the Treasure Laws over here so here is some info for you on Sal's coin which is a spectacular find. When he dropped that puppy in my hand it was a good job his vid was not running LOL as I swore a lot **** **** :o

It is a single coin find and does not fall under the Treasure Act. No museum can ever take or buy it from him even if it is the rarest coin ever found in Britain. It will always be his. We have a voluntary finds recording system over here so I recorded his coin with the Fitzmuseum National database for Early Medieval Corpus. We record every important find to improve the history of the local area but unless it is treasure this is still a voluntary system.

The only thing that can happen with finds deemed of National importance is that the export license can be challenged and a big hearing held at the British museum with experts to determine it's rarity.

This coin cannot have it's application challenged as they found a hoard in 1820 so 100 exist.

The British museum cannot just challenge the application because the coin is pretty and they like it ;D They have to prove it is a one off which this ain't

We have found 63 Celtic gold staters - all have been successfully exported

The most recent challenged application was a continental Saxon bronze strapend Nova Scotia Andy found. It was the only one of it's type ever found in Britain and therefore unique. It was not treasure as it was not gold or silver and would always be his but might not be allowed out of the country. They set up a hearing but Andy decided to donate it to the local museum, great gesture.

To answer one of the guys questions about hoard. If two gold coins were found next to each other then it all depends on the types found. If you found a Roman gold coin next to a Saxon coin then it is NOT a hoard as the two finds are not related, 100AD and 600 AD. If however Sal had found another Saxon silver near the gold then this is a hoard as they are related and by law that has to be reported to the museum within 14 days. Medieval hammered silver coins are not related to Saxon gold, ie 1200 AD and 600 AD.

Hope that helps or just confuses you more ;D

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colchesterhunter said:
Hi Guys,

Man this is a big thread. Guys get confused about the Treasure Laws over here so here is some info for you on Sal's coin which is a spectacular find. When he dropped that puppy in my hand it was a good job his vid was not running LOL as I swore a lot **** **** :o

It is a single coin find and does not fall under the Treasure Act. No museum can ever take or buy it from him even if it is the rarest coin ever found in Britain. It will always be his. We have a voluntary finds recording system over here so I recorded his coin with the Fitzmuseum National database for Early Medieval Corpus. We record every important find to improve the history of the local area but unless it is treasure this is still a voluntary system.

The only thing that can happen with finds deemed of National importance is that the export license can be challenged and a big hearing held at the British museum with experts to determine it's rarity.

This coin cannot have it's application challenged as they found a hoard in 1820 so 100 exist.

The British museum cannot just challenge the application because the coin is pretty and they like it ;D They have to prove it is a one off which this ain't

The most recent challenged application was a continental Saxon bronze strapend Nova Scotia Andy found. It was the only one of it's type ever found in Britain and therefore unique. It was not treasure as it was not gold or silver and would always be his but might not be allowed out of the country. They set up a hearing but Andy decided to donate it to the local museum, great gesture.

To answer one of the guys questions about hoard. If two gold coins were found next to each other then it all depends on the types found. If you found a Roman gold coin next to a Saxon coin then it is NOT a hoard as the two finds are not related, 100AD and 600 AD. If however Sal had found another Saxon silver near the gold then this is a hoard as they are related and by law that has to be reported to the museum within 14 days. Medieval hammered silver coins are not related to Saxon gold, ie 1200 AD and 600 AD.

Yeap, what I said.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colchesterhunter said:
Hi Guys,

Welcome to T Net..... what you say is quite right Medieval coins are not of the same era but what's to say that the Saxon Gold coin could not be part of some Medieval treasure, perhaps it was being carried round by some rich trader at the time of the Medieval coins that were clearly shown on the video. And I know what the reply will be to this that they were not found in the same area as the Gold coin. all I am saying is that the Gold coin could have belonged to a Medieval trader(unlikely) but possible TK,

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mudslideslim said:
That is a beauty for sure! Hadn't seen that. Mine is not quite that rare. I guess I would only cry a little if the museum wanted to purchase it from me for that amount of dosh! Thanks for sharing bud.
hh
slim

BioProfessor said:
Mudslideslim,

Have you seen this?

A Real Treasure: Anglo-Saxon Gold Coin Goes On Show

February 08 2006

The British Museum showed off the newest treasure in their collection today - a very special Anglo-Saxon coin.

Shows a close-up photo of a gold coin. There's a man's head in the centre of the coin, surrounded by letters.

The coin is more than a thousand years old. It's made of gold and shows a king called Coenwulf on one side.

Coenwulf was very powerful. He ruled an area known as 'Mercia' to the Anglo-Saxons, a large part of modern-day England, from 796 to 821. Can you find his name in this picture?

The coin was found near Bedford in 2001 by a metal-detectorist. It's taken until now for the Museum to raise enough money to buy it. They had to pay £357,832 - making it the most expensive British coin ever!

So why is it important? Well - coins like this are extremely rare. This is one of only eight coins dating back to this time in history that have ever been found. Plus, it's in almost perfect condition, making it even more valuable.
I think that coin originally sold for £230,000 in 2004 by Spink of London to an American buyer I believe.. they must have bought it back.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tyre kicker said:
mudslideslim said:
That is a beauty for sure! Hadn't seen that. Mine is not quite that rare. I guess I would only cry a little if the museum wanted to purchase it from me for that amount of dosh! Thanks for sharing bud.
hh
slim

BioProfessor said:
Mudslideslim,

Have you seen this?

A Real Treasure: Anglo-Saxon Gold Coin Goes On Show

February 08 2006

The British Museum showed off the newest treasure in their collection today - a very special Anglo-Saxon coin.

Shows a close-up photo of a gold coin. There's a man's head in the centre of the coin, surrounded by letters.

The coin is more than a thousand years old. It's made of gold and shows a king called Coenwulf on one side.

Coenwulf was very powerful. He ruled an area known as 'Mercia' to the Anglo-Saxons, a large part of modern-day England, from 796 to 821. Can you find his name in this picture?

The coin was found near Bedford in 2001 by a metal-detectorist. It's taken until now for the Museum to raise enough money to buy it. They had to pay £357,832 - making it the most expensive British coin ever!

So why is it important? Well - coins like this are extremely rare. This is one of only eight coins dating back to this time in history that have ever been found. Plus, it's in almost perfect condition, making it even more valuable.
I think that coin originally sold for £230,000 in 2004 by Spink of London to an American buyer I believe.. they must have bought it back.

The Museum had a chance to buy it when the US guy tried to export it. Funny they didn't bother bidding & saving themselves the extra money.

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
The finder never offered it to the British Museum. Since it was a single coin find and could not be declared as treasure, he didn't have to. It was offered to the Museum by the person that bought it from the finder.

Daryl

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BioProfessor said:
The finder never offered it to the British Museum. Since it was a single coin find and could not be declared as treasure, he didn't have to. It was offered to the Museum by the person that bought it from the finder.

Daryl

Not what I read, not offered but brought as it had national historic interest. BM didn't want it leaving the country.

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
The BM paid £535,000 for the coin from American that had bought the coin at auction for £300,000 previously. The museum bid at his auction like everyone else. That coin was never offered to the BM by the finder.

May 19, 2007
Colchester Essex
The BM stopped bidding at the original auction and the American coin dealer bought it. He later sold it to the BM for a nice profit. ;D

The Saxon coin was found in isolation on a hill with no previous Saxon period finds made there. It was too mint to have ever been in circulation so probably dropped out of a guys pocket while he was riding his horse. If a 1300 AD Medival groat was subsequently found next to it the British museum would never declare a hoard. The simple guide to a hoard is it was buried with the intention of being recovered. I have reported several potential hoards to the museum and they have been disclaimed as not contextial. However one of our best hoards that is on display at the Colchester museum is a mixed Imperial Roman Celtic hoard, 100BC, 50BC silver Romans with 50BC Clacton type Celtic gold. This is a Roman burying his silver he brough with him from Roman with gold he took from the natives ::)

We always report potential hoards to the museum and let the British museum make the official ruling based on the find locations. :)

OP
OP
mudslideslim

mudslideslim

Mar 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all of the good info - very interesting!
hh
slim

OP
OP
mudslideslim

mudslideslim

Mar 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found one similar in my research