Saxon Gold Coin Found!

mudslideslim

Mar 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a couple of field pics of my coin moments after I dug it in England last week. As you can see it came out of the ground beautiful - just a little dirt. That's gold for you - doesnt matter how old it is. Here are the particulars: English Saxon Thrysmas gold coin - Crondall type c620 -650 AD -named after the hoard found in 1828. Sent off to the Fitzmuseum Corpus database for recording 1.26g, 11.46mm - 'Witmen type'

Click on the link below to check out the full length movie put together by the outfitter we used in England. It consists of videos I shot with the hatcam, mixed in with some great hunt footage he took along with some still shots with other finds. Enjoy!
hh
slim

Click here to view the video! http://www.colchestertreasurehunting.co.uk/thisweekfindsquick.htm
(scroll down till you see the VIDEO DOWNLOAD PAGE link.)

Attachments

• saxongold620ad645adcropd_640x480.jpg
    saxongold620ad645adcropd_640x480.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 8,784
  • saxongold620ad645adcropd1_640x480.jpg
    saxongold620ad645adcropd1_640x480.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 9,066
Upvote 1

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Yo, mudslideslim, you kicked some a$$ in England. How many Large coppas did you find? Keep swinging with the fever, my friend.

Bone Dry Detecting...Kirk

OP
OP
mudslideslim

mudslideslim

Mar 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
round about a dozen or so. some pretty early ones late 1600s. most were well worn.
thanks - hh
slim

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW Beautifull Coin Slim !

I think I would have had a stroke seeing that Pop out :D

Congrats !

Jeff

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautifull Coin !!!!

I think I would have dug every inch after finding that beauty. :D

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I imagine you're still on cloud nine after that unique and beautiful find! Congratulations!

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
:o WOW just finished watching the video. You guys were like kids in a candy store over there :D
I want to go on one of these trips soooo bad. As for the video there were a few times were I was like "Tilt the camera a bit Sal, I can't see it"
but over all it was the best video I have seen so far, just loaded with find after find.
Must suck to have to come back here and dig all this "new" stuff :(
Great video, keep them coming!
HH,
Donny

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would of passed out ;)......aa

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely awesome coin. :o :o Way to go.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I don't have to tell you how rare these are & worth loads of $$$$.

Thought to have circulated as a Shilling.

Did you get a export licence for it ok? I guess the BM might like this one.

Many UK detectorist have searched all their lifes for someone like this & you get it on holiday. You are very lucky & will probably never top it. ;D

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome coin Sal, might be your best ever find of a lifetime! I enjoyed the video as well. You were on some great land, having detected the area myself I know! I am curious what it is worth $$$? Congrats and HH, Mike

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bavaria Mike said:
Awesome coin Sal, might be your best ever find of a lifetime! I enjoyed the video as well. You were on some great land, having detected the area myself I know! I am curious what it is worth $$$? Congrats and HH, Mike

Try $$$$

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A find of a lifetime!!! Congrats on your fabulous coin.
-MM-

OP
OP
mudslideslim

mudslideslim

Mar 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:

Many UK detectorist have searched all their lifes for someone like this & you get it on holiday. You are very lucky & will probably never top it. ;D

The exportation is in the works. Because this type was part of a large hoard (>100) found elsewhere in the early 1800s, the museum already has quite a few in their collection. It is still very rare none the less. Just not quite as rare as some. Thanks for your comments and information.
hh
slim

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin is great like I said in my above post but the video is very well done too. I enjoyed it. Also, I was curious as to what large coppers you found. I realize they are far more common over there than in the US but I'd love to see a list of the finds. That would be cool. Once again, congratulations on that one in a million find. :o

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
mudslideslim said:
CRUSADER said:

The exportation is in the works. Because this type was part of a large hoard (>100) found elsewhere in the early 1800s, the museum already has quite a few in their collection. It is still very rare none the less. Just not quite as rare as some. Thanks for your comments and information.
hh
slim

Here is some info I found

Selection from the Crondall hoard

Anglo-Saxon, gold thrymsas, c.12mm diameter, AD c.640.

The hoard was discovered in 1828 in Crondall, Hampshire. It remains the most important body of evidence for early Anglo-Saxon coinage. The hoard marks the reintroduction of coinage into Britain two centuries after the abandonment of the province by the Romans. The new coinage was modelled on that of Merovingian Gaul, but also looked back to Rome for inspiration. These gold coins may have been the earliest English shillings. The hoard was purchased for the Ashmolean in 1944 as a memorial to Sir Arthur Evans.
HCRhoard.jpg

http://www.ashmolean.org/collections/?type=highlights&id=83&department=4

and here is a similar coin that was sold, it is not the same variety but same type

http://antikacoins-medals.com/shop_1_5_-233.htm

Lastly a post from the old treasurenet forum mentioning a coin being found that may be the same type sold in the above auction

http://www.treasurenet.com/forum/todaysfinds/archives/19980509/messages/2254.shtml

HH,
Donny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread