COULD IT BE!!

Muddywaters

Apr 5, 2021
Where the dirt meets the water
Detector(s) used
I think I still have one.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone this is a work in progress, but quite possibly the second biggest lake superior agate in the world. Lol
Ok maybe quite possibly is a little on the optimistic side, but nevertheless there is a chance!!
Of course welcoming any questions, suggestions, and offers. ��

Fellow member Muddywaters. Resized_20210403_001216.jpeg

Upvote 9

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always wondered if this was an agate, what do you think?

P4050179.JPG

P4050180.JPG

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, its in the quartz family for sure. I can't tell if its more jasper or agate. You may have to grind a "window" into it or take it to a rock show or dealer to know for sure.

OP
OP
M

Muddywaters

Apr 5, 2021
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regarding SD51. It appears your stone has similar mineral deposits consistent with other examples of agate I've worked on
Could you tell me more about the stone? Like where it was found and what kind of environment (example; in a farm field in southern south Dakota) also what is its weight and appearance?. Is it smoth like glass, or waxy?

OP
OP
M

Muddywaters

Apr 5, 2021
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey the cat is a cardinal sin to grind Or cutt a Lake Superior agate. Doing so I believe would have a negative effect on my "Rock karma" lol.
I'm strong believer is stripped away the billion years of deposits in order to restore the stone back to or as close to God's gift in which they are.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regarding SD51. It appears your stone has similar mineral deposits consistent with other examples of agate I've worked on
Could you tell me more about the stone? Like where it was found and what kind of environment (example; in a farm field in southern south Dakota) also what is its weight and appearance?. Is it smoth like glass, or waxy?

I picked this and a Petoskey stone up at our local farmers market here in Michigan. The young boy selling them found them at his Grandparents farm in northern Michigan. It's very glossy in appearance.

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like chalcedony to me...I could be wrong...

Ed T

Upnorth42

Sep 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stones that look similar to that are common where I live. I would call that one a piece of jasper. I was told but am not sure if its true that if it's translucent it's agate if it's not it is jasper.

OP
OP
M

Muddywaters

Apr 5, 2021
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SD51.

My best advice. Process it. If you have the time or desire . Rinse and wash with Dawn dish soap. Let sit over night in the Dawn soapy water. When you have time the next day rinse with running water scrubbing with stiffbrush. Soak it in either CLR or the works another day. If you're able to put a small water pump in its water it is extremely helpful in loosening all the mineral deposits. Following day you are going to rinse again in running. water. Then let it dry completely. Like at least a day. If its sunny out let mother nature help. Once dry scrub with Dawn dish soap and rinse.
You will see your stone transform throughout this process.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions