Mystery watch

Grimnar

Mar 22, 2006
Vic
Hi,

Everyones heard the old saying treasure comes in many disguises, well it is no truer than in this case.
My mother was going through an old box of junk when she found, right at the bottom, a ratty plastic jewellery box, inside was an old gold tie pin with a map of Australia on it and an old broken watch.
She thought that the watch might be worth something purely for the gold so she took the box home with her.

A few days later I was visiting her and i spied the old watch on the window sill, thinking to myself that it looked kind of crappy with no wrist bands and a cracked dial, having a fiddle with it I gave it a wind and what do ya know, it started ticking. Well i asked if I could have it and mum said yes so i put it in my pocket and forgot about it for a few days.

With Christmas almost upon us and as you treasure hunters know, our hobby isn't exactly the cheapest out their, so i thought what the hell may as well get it fixed and give it to my partner for Christmas.

Well I take it to the Watchmaker in town and he has a look at at and gives me a rough date of the watch, about 1950, Swiss movement, 17 jewels and all that. I asked him is it worth repairing and he says it is so I agree with him. He had never heard of the brand, orAno Magnificent, so he takes the back off, and guess what......the bloody thing has a ROLEX movement. I'm like, what's that mean, and he Say's about AU$1800. To say the least I was flabbergasted.

So something that cost me nothing (except $180 to get it refurbished) I am now the owner of a $1620 watch.

Now I'm wondering if I should give it to my partner or sell it and buy a new MineLab Detector.
hmmmmm

I don't have any photos of it because its still with the watchmaker getting fixed, but soon as I get it back i will post some pictures.

Cheers
Matt.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Grimnar

Grimnar

Mar 22, 2006
Vic
Many Apologies for the amount of time its taken me to get some pictures on the watch.
I only got it back afew weeks ago.

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 1,094
  • scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 3,196

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread