My Best / Oldest American Silver ( Wilver )

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope no one minds an old find , old refering to being found back in 2003 but I have a itch to post it !

I found her actually lying on top of the ground on a tiny little pillar of dirt in a cornfield where a colonial tavern once was.

It had rained hard for 2 or 3 days and me and my huntin bud were hunting the site finding large cents and buttons when I heard a steady 50'ish tone ID on the XLT ,did the pin-point thing and was kneeling cuttin a plug around the target when the sun glistened off a strange looking "pebble" and I thought to myself 'self' that is a strange looking pebble so I reached over and plucked it off the teeny pillar of dirt and looked at it then proceed to let out a scream type yell !!

The tavern site has produced only 1 1797 half dime so far but in early springs when the field is plowed and then in fall after harvest I make it a point to look for the other one' (s) ( my heart knows the guy that lost it lost at least 2 ) but so far nada-zip-zilch-zero :'(

What always fasinated me about the coin is that I pretty much know the path it took to end up at the tavern...Minted in Philly ,
shiney and new it worked its way to Ny city and into the hands of a German immigrant looking for a new life in the great frontier as he put it in his pocket and stepped aboard the boat headed for Albany up the Hudson river then where he hopped a boat headed west on the Mohawk and the tavern they stopped at for the night in St Johnsville where they partook in festivities and much drinking of ale and grog ! As he took his first drunken stumble step opening the door of the tavern to leave and tripping loosing his money and cursing not realizing he lost his half dime' (s) and Large cents. Yep...Thats just how it ended up in that cornfield !!!!

Attachments

• Front.JPG
    Front.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 879
  • Back.JPG
    Back.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 853
  • Picture_003.jpg
    Picture_003.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 863
Upvote 0

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a great coin. I hope you find many more.

colonial relic hunter

Nov 26, 2007
Harrison city, Pa
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X3 & X2 and X5. Whites spectrum & silver eagle ll. Garrett ADS 4.
If you were going to find one! well the would be the one!

Congrats on the great coin that we all are looking for and dreaming about. Anything that would come close to that would be a 1792 dime or half dime. I saw one of them dug back in the early 90's by a friend of mines. Your find s rarely seen never mind being dug.

Hey you live near Albany, NY?? I hunted up there a few years back. I'll have to post up some of the finds we found up there.

Bill(pa)

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Top Notch Find!!!!!!

Derek, thanks for posting that beauty, that is a dream find for any detectorist and luckily it is also in great shape! I wonder what the grading company considered corrosion, unless it is pitting slightly?

Love your "story" of how the coin came to be there. LOL Without a doubt not too many 1700 era small US silvers are found.

Don

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even I am impressed ;) I like your old silver ;D

xlt nh

Jul 28, 2006
Cheshire, Mass
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, DFX 300
Absolutely Beautiful...thanks so much for sharing!! :o ;D

Hopefull there's more waiting for you in the Spring... ;)
HH, Hank 8)

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
all i can say is WOW
thanks for posting it !

vp

tgravatt

Dec 21, 2005
Pierre, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Derek,

Congrats!

Great Story too!

Here is a link to the PCGS page for that coin...

http://www.pcgs.com/prices/frame.chtml?type=date&filename=half_dime

Looks like at least a F or better...

What an Awesome find!

Sure makes me motivated!

I have taken the liberty of creating a chart for that coin (with your pics included) for values since minted in grade F-12, and I can do more with that coin in a different grade, or any coin for that matter for anyone that would like a chart for their coins.

Interesting how much these coins appreciate over the years!

Happy Hunting.

Tim

Attachments

• 1797 Half Dime 16 Stars.jpg
    1797 Half Dime 16 Stars.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 517
OP
OP
Derek752

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting Graph Tim ! I should meantion that back in 2005 I sold that half dime to help pay for my Jeep / treasure mobile.

I had it for quite some time and it was just collecting dust , it was hard to part with it but I get more use outta the Jeep.

And I still have hopes another half dime will surface where I found that one !!!

HH !

tgravatt

Dec 21, 2005
Pierre, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Derek,

I guess that your jeep don't mind getting dusty.

I try not to let go of most of the things that I find out hunting, but, hey, sometimes thats the way it goes.

Still, I think that is a great find and still love the story.

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread