Possible grave stone and wedding band of my R. W. ancestor (or just wishful thinking)

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the past 1 ½ years I’ve been researching an ancestor of mine by the name of Nathaniel Washburn. After serving in the militia and as a Ranger on the Frontier during the American Revolution War, he and his family lived in Washington County, Pennsylvania, before moving to Adams County, Ohio in the 1790s. There, according to the history books, he settled at the head of nearby Donalson’s Creek and in about 1799 built a mill on the middle fork. However, no deeds exist listing him as Grantor, Grantee, or even as a neighbor. While in Adams County he continued to perform community service. Between 1797 and 1799 he was appointed as a Supervisor of the Roads, named to the first grand jury, and as an Overseer of the Poor. Then at age 70+ he served during the War of 1812. He died after 19 June 1818 when he attended a neighbor’s estate sale however, the exact date of his death and place of burial has not been determined.

For more details see the .pdf file.

Attachments

• Possible grave stone and wedding band of my Revolutionary War ancestor.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 119
Upvote 4

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very impressive, thorough work done here...Good Job...! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eye, thanks! Still hoping to have a monument erected for him in a local cemetery, as his burial place is unknown. A man who has done so much for his country, shouldn't be forgotten.

OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could this be his memorial site? Nathaniel Washburn (1739-1818) - Find A Grave Memorial
Lots of similar details.

Mrs. Bloom, thanks for the tip. Yes, that is supposed to be his memorial. Unfortunately, the mention that he might be buried at Briar Ridge Cemetery was based on a book based on the D.A.R. application submitted by Mrs. Ulrich (National # 57495). See top 2 photos to the left of Nathaniel's name in the memorial. That same application states he could also be buried near Manchester or Washburn cemetery. Wait what? How could he possibly be buried in 3 different places? Sounds like the author wasn't sure. A visit to all 3 cemeteries last March confirmed there is no marker for him, nor was there one 80 years ago when the WPA came through and documented the veteran's graves. Problem is, the Nathaniel Washburn described in Mrs. Ulrich's application is a hybrid of 2 different men. It is true a Nathaniel Washburn from Massachusetts did serve in the R.W. - just not my ancestor. And the one Massachusetts was still living there when the 1790 U.S. Census was recorded while my ancestor was living in Washington County, PA. This was not discovered until after the book was published. However, once an error is in print it lives forever.

OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before posting the pdf file - Cathy Gowdy - author of "Nathaniel Washburn, an American Pioneer" read it over and agreed w/ me that the precise location of his grave and date of death remains unknown. Furthermore, that my logic that he (and possible his wife) could be buried on what was once his land is sound.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread