Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man's 7-diamond ring found on Ski Hill

Hi fellow Tnet'rs,

OK, this is my best ring find (I think); I found it summer 2006 at the Red River, NM ski hill! I also found more quarters than pennies that day.

The ring has 7 diamonds and is 14k white gold with some yellow gold. I haven't gotten it appraised so not sure what it's worth...all the same, another keeper!

AlaskaAng

index.jpg
indexe.jpg

Upvote 0

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Man's 7-diamond ring found on Ski Hill

Beautiful ring! Congrats... ;D

Bran <><

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thats a honker!!!!!! 8)

OP
OP
AlaskaAng

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks Guys! I wish I could go back to that ski hill...coins were everywhere, especially quarters!
I enjoy ski hills, just never know what you're going to find.

Ang

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's a great looking ring Ang----Congrats.

Attachments

• 4_17_2[1].gif
    4_17_2[1].gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 2,312
  • 4_17_2[1].gif
    4_17_2[1].gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 2,320

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.

Very nice find, Alaska. I've thought about hunting ski hills myself, but I could never figure who to ask for permission. Do you get permission from somebody? Or do you just go out there and hunt? Also, how do you attack the slope? Do you hunt back and forth across the slope, under the chair lift, in the flat area at the bottom or at the top? It seems like it would be a lot of work climbing some of those slopes. In what area of the slope did you find that beautiful ring? Hope you don't mind my asking these questions. HH
Bob

OP
OP
AlaskaAng

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

skierbob said:
Very nice find, Alaska. I've thought about hunting ski hills myself, but I could never figure who to ask for permission. Do you get permission from somebody? Or do you just go out there and hunt? Also, how do you attack the slope? Do you hunt back and forth across the slope, under the chair lift, in the flat area at the bottom or at the top? It seems like it would be a lot of work climbing some of those slopes. In what area of the slope did you find that beautiful ring? Hope you don't mind my asking these questions. HH
Bob

Hi Bob,

Sorry this is a bit late but maybe just in time for spring breakup...well, in a month or so in your area. Anyway, I wanted to answer your questions re: ski slopes. You don't typically need permission to detect ski slopes but I did get permission to detect on the AF & Army bases due to it being owned by the GOV. I guess it all depends on the ski slope and who owns it; but in most cases, no one would bother you way down on the slope.

I normally start detecting at the slope landing; this is where skiers will remove their gloves and if a ring is going to fall off...this is the place. The problem you find is that it contains more trash than the hill itself...lots of pulltabs! The chairlift is another good spot. My machine is more quiet in the middle of the hill than the top or bottom. I was lucky enough to find the old ski lift (rusted vertical post only, no cables) on a nearby Army base that operated in the late 30s to present...I'm eager to detect this area this spring. There are a lot of little trees grown up under the lift but the grown cover is minimal.

I found the ring closer to the bottom of the slope but not quite on the landing...it's as if the skier stopped and took off his gloves before he got to the bottom. I'm eager to have the ring appraised but just haven't done it yet.

I wish you luck and don't worry, you'll get a lot of exercise if you work the slopes...you'll feel it in your legs the next day. May you find a nice ring this spring!

AlaskaAng

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Very nice ring indeed! Thanks for sharing some valuable info.......even though I don't think I'll be hunting any slopes here in SC! ::) Hope Springtime brings you lots of goodies!
HH,
Moon

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ang, Thats one beautiful ring.. you always find such goodies..

HH rae

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Ski hills. . . . hmmm. . . . interesting. . . . I never would have thought of that ::)

T

trish76642

wow...somebodys wife got really upset that day! lol
nice find!
good for you! bad for him!

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008

Good on ya, Alaska. Hunted that slope back in '93, found one rosie
and several ski tags and pins.