Grandfather?s passed-on collection of ore

sickrocks

Greenie
Jul 7, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI All,

I hope everyone is enjoying the long weekend and getting out hunting for treasure.

To keep the story short;

My grandfather was a rock hound. He spent years of retirement hunting cool places in the California sierras. Long story short, I inherited most of his tools and rock collection. I?ve had them for over 35 years in the shed. The rocks posted here I recently cut open. They were all from Calaveras County Mother Load. This is per his notes and I?m sure could be traced. I have several, including a few larger pieces of 20+lbs.

I?m having it assayed since my rockhound friend thinks they are silver, copper, gold ore. There are some pieces of native copper on a few. Lots of gold flake and silver flake can be seen in clear sections of the polished work.

While I wait on the assay can anyone say if they?ve seen t 1433BF65-D851-423C-90BF-53D21541EB83.jpeg his variety and is it jasper and hematite or other?

Much appreciated for any help.

Upvote 5

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That,s pretty,I ve seen jasper used to build fly rod guides,the first guide coming from the reel and they,re pretty.

OP
OP
S

sickrocks

Greenie
Jul 7, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thsnks Crashbandicoot. Interesting too

That,s pretty,I ve seen jasper used to build fly rod guides,the first guide coming from the reel and they,re pretty.

I?ve seen fly rods like this too. Makes sense because jasper is 6.5-7ish on moh. I have a lot of jasper from my own rockhounding but none look this tight and color rich so I was scratching my head when I cut This one. They have a lot of beautiful hematite crystals too on some of the stones.

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Given how jaspar is formed, it is very unlikely to have any gold or silver in it...

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I?ve seen fly rods like this too. Makes sense because jasper is 6.5-7ish on moh. I have a lot of jasper from my own rockhounding but none look this tight and color rich so I was scratching my head when I cut This one. They have a lot of beautiful hematite crystals too on some of the stones.

Polishes up real nice and smooth too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread