Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is my absolute favorite find. It's not worth a lot and is not super rare or anything like that. I guess I just like it so much because of the setting in which it was found.

Back about 5 years ago I was detecting a coal mining ghost town. The town was at the very top of a mountain and was located in a dense wooded area. The people who lived there back in the 1870's & 1880's had a very tough life. The men and some children worked in the coal mines while the women tended to everyday life in this isolated town.

This toy iron was found right next to an old railroad track that has not seen a train in over a 125 years. I think this section of track was left by accident when the mining company moved on.

Ya see, the town was eventually abandoned when the coal started running low in the mines near the late 1880's. The company that owned the rights to these mines stopped operations and dismantled the tracks and other equipment, moving it all to another site miles away. Once the mining company was gone, the people who had lived & worked there for most of their lives also moved away and within a year after the closing of the mines, there was no one left.

This little iron is obviously a child's toy, maybe played with by the daughter one of the workers. I can almost imagine a hot summer day, and a small girl playing with her doll by the side of the railroad track while her father worked close by. It's nearly the end of the day and finished now, the dad takes the girl by the hand to walk her home for dinner. She hurriedly grabs her doll and other toys but won't realize until later that she's forgotten the little iron .... Most of these families were very poor, and I can only imagine the fuss the little girl made when she realized she'd lost this toy.

I remember the day I found it perfectly. It was very hot, and I was almost done for the day. I hadn't found much of anything and was very discouraged. I decided to check out a section of woods I had not explored and it was then I stumbled across the railroad track. All that was left was just one piece of iron rail about 20 feet long, laying right on top of the ground.

I started to detect the area and soon got an iffy signal that was deep. I dug & dug and found the little iron at a depth of about ten inches. I was using my White's DFX with the Hot Shot coil at the time.

This year I gave the little iron to my daughter as a keepsake. She has it proudly displayed on her dresser and tells all her friends of the little girl who played with it so long ago.

Take Care,

vp

Attachments

• littleiron.jpg
    littleiron.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 670
Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Re: My Favorite Find - The little Iron

Really a cute find...probally from a salesman sample pack.....Very cool

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Shoe said:
Did you clean that iron up using electrolysis or something?

no that's how it came out of the ground - i believe it might be brass but am not sure ???

vp

greywolf

Aug 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Bounty HunterIV, Bounty Hunter QD II
Vpone: hi I am from the Williamsport area...left in 03. That is a nice find! were was the town location at?if I may ask?

greywolf

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
iron actually holds up very well in the ground. they made toy irons for children to play with much the same as they made trains and cars. there is a very good book on irons and trivets by esther s. berney if you feel like looking it up and researching your find.

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wwwtimmcp said:
iron actually holds up very well in the ground. they made toy irons for children to play with much the same as they made trains and cars. there is a very good book on irons and trivets by esther s. berney if you feel like looking it up and researching your find.

hey thanks !

i've never been able to find anything on it !

vp

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Very neat little find, Congrats!!!
I love the small finds that make ya think. As you stated, probably not worth much, but the memories of the find will last forever... Much better than a common ordinary coin any day...
Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's interesting finds like this that make the hobby so great. You really never know whats going to come out of the ground. Thats a cool find.

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Pretty cool entry for the relic toy catagory Vpone ! A toy from a time when a child used it in unison with an active imagination !

Love finding the old toys !!

D.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool! When I was a kid I found one like that in an old bottle dump.I gave it away to a friends mom who wanted it but wish I had it now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread