Sterling Silver coffee pot from Paterson N.J.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
The GREAT ADDITION to my Paterson N.J. collection, and the TRAGEDY behind it all...

Around 12-13 years ago I came upon a picture online of a Sterling Silver coffee pot that was highly tarnished, it was engraved...

TO HIS HONOR
THOMAS BEVERIDGE
MAYOR OF PATERSON
BY
HIS FRIENDS IN OFFICE UNDER HIM
NEW YEAR 1893

Besides the photo I found there wasn't any other evidence to try and find out where it was, or who might have it, but I knew the Museum nor the Historical Society had it. Thomas Beveridge was mayor of Paterson in 1891-92.

Then on Sunday I got an email from Ebay with my current searches, and when I got to Paterson this amazing coffee pot was there. No longer tarnished, it had been polished beautifully and was in all it's glory, after all this time I couldn't believe my eyes. A seller in North Carolina had it and it was ending in a few hours from when I got the email. So I decided on a price I was willing to pay and put my bid in with about 30 seconds to go, and today I am now the owner of this AMAZING PIECE. It'll take it's place with my other top pieces in my Paterson collection, a TRUE GEM, and I feel lucky being it's current caretaker for now.

Now the TRAGIC part of the story...

Back on July 4th a seller from Alabama put up a listing of 6 pieces of sterling silver on Ebay, a tea set made up of 4 pieces, a sugar bowl, and a coffee pot. The seller was so clueless that the only thing he said in his description was this...

"WOOD AND HUGHES SILVER REPOUSSE' 6 PIECE TEA SET 1805 grams.NOT SCRAP!"

"The bigger of the tea pots has an engraving as shown rest are unmonogramed."

This GENIUS made no mention of Mayor Beveridge or Paterson N.J., and the set was $2999.00 or Best Offer, it sat there on Ebay for 5 weeks before he finally accepted the offer from the person I bought the coffee pot from in North Carolina. Had he mentioned Paterson in his description I would have bought the entire set, this guy is some kind of stupid I tell you.

Now to top it all off, the GENIUS I bought the coffee pot from decided to split the 6 piece set into 3 different pieces, a four piece tea set, the sugar bowl and the coffee pot, INSTEAD of selling it as a lot!! Had he kept it together I would have paid him more that the $2500 he got for all 6 pieces, it's a true injustice that anyone would break this set up, especially someone who deals in silver all the time. I have contacted the seller in hopes he will give my phone number and email to the two other people who bought the tea set and the sugar bowl, in hopes they will see that this set needs to be back together.

Don't get me wrong, I am ELATED to have the signature piece of the engraved coffee pot, I will cherish it, but it really is a tragedy that the set got broken up, and for no reason what so ever...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• # 1a1aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    # 1a1aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 183
  • s-l1600 - 2021-09-05T111216.485.jpg
    s-l1600 - 2021-09-05T111216.485.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 153
  • # 1a1aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    # 1a1aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 181
  • s-l1600 - 2021-09-05T111232.265.jpg
    s-l1600 - 2021-09-05T111232.265.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 150
  • # 1a1aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    # 1a1aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 173
  • silver.jpg
    silver.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 147
  • s-l1600 - 2021-09-05T174537.946.jpg
    s-l1600 - 2021-09-05T174537.946.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 140
Upvote 9

Mason Jarr

Nov 23, 2012
Southwest Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful craftsmanship. Hopefully you'll be able to get all pieces back together again, but if not you at least have the key piece.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the top shelve purchase, and best of luck getting the set back together again.

ganthercage

Aug 10, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now to top it all off, the GENIUS I bought the coffee pot from decided to split the 6 piece set into 3 different pieces, a four piece tea set, the sugar bowl and the coffee pot, INSTEAD of selling it as a lot!! Had he kept it together I would have paid him more that the $2500 he got for all 6 pieces, it's a true injustice that anyone would 192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 break this set up, especially someone who deals in silver all the time. I have contacted the seller in hopes he will give my phone number and email to the two other people who bought the tea set and the sugar bowl, in hopes they will see that this set needs to be back together.

Don't get me wrong, I am ELATED to have the signature piece of the engraved coffee pot, I will cherish it, but it really is a tragedy that the set got broken up, and for no reason what so ever...
thats amazing these are looking beautiful and something of real value , congrats

Last edited:

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So cool and interesting, from someone born and raised to 2nd grade in Paterson, NJ. Must be so many great places to detect there, but not the same place I grew up in. You better be packing heat!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread