Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Its 0231 am and I'm kinda bored...So here is a "Best" of finds from our 2004 dig of a virgin site discovered through hours upon hours of research,hiking,and a bit of good luck !
Knew about where to look and finding tell-tale signs and clues and the sheer luck of digging a british copper which led to the discovery of the fireplace !

Spent 2 solid months excavating the fireplace ( about 4.5 feet deep and about 10'x10' feet wide ) and sifting the dirt and ashes.
It was an amazing discovery and we were like kids in a candy store ! Never knowing what was going to turn up next !

What is in the display is the best that I found and is a mere drop in the bucket of total finds.

In the display are a metalic and non metalic finds such as baby teeth,a cootie comb,flints,and trade beads and wampum along with spanish silver,musket parts,trade silver,British coppers ( oldest is King Willaim & Mary 1697 ),cuff links,buckles,jews harps, Jesuit trade rings,crucifixs,and even a lead pencil !

Second photo is of some of the iron ( iron relics dug in between the 10,000 square nails ) my favorite being the flintlock mechinism !

Third & forth photo is a Duke of Cumberland battle of Fonteney victory medal
Fifth photo is the 4 reale cobb I dug. ( 1749 )

And finally the last photo is the sheet silver crucifix my partner Rock dug..It is a beautiful piece and has very attractive ornat etchings ! To this day I fell it is his best find ever !

The only bad thing about finding such a site is eventually the finds end and your left wishing someday you'll discover another site like it !!

HH everyone and Happy Holidays !!

D.

Attachments

• Picture_032.jpg
    Picture_032.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 3,842
  • ironrelics.jpg
    ironrelics.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 3,828
  • Picture_045.jpg
    Picture_045.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 3,822
  • Picture_046.jpg
    Picture_046.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 3,816
  • cobb.jpg
    cobb.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 3,789
  • cross1.jpg
    cross1.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 3,772
Upvote 0

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Great finds, But why do you say British instead of early Americans, do all Americans suffer from amnesia ?.

Robert from England.

OP
OP
Derek752

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
FollowUp Photos Of Coppers And Some Other Relics

A few more photos of coppas and spanish silver ...trade ring and mortar / cannonball dug in and around the fortsite

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 3,108
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 3,149
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 3,179
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 3,198
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 3,237
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 3,237

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got alot of nice coppas there.

OP
OP
Derek752

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
robfinds said:
Great finds, But why do you say British instead of early Americans, do all Americans suffer from amnesia ?.

Robert from England.

Hello Robert..I agree 100% and I dont suffer from amnesia just an occasional brainfart or STM but I know the whys and reasons ..
Patriots (also known as Americans, Whigs, Congress-Men or Rebels) was the name the colonists of the British Thirteen Colonies who rebelled against British control during the American Revolution called themselves. It was their leading figures who, in July 1776, declared the United States of America an independent nation. Their rebellion was based on the political philosophy of republicanism, as expressed by pamphleteers such as Thomas Jefferson, Alexander Hamilton, and Thomas Paine.

As a group, Patriots comprised men and women representing the full array of social, economic, ethnic and racial backgrounds. They included college students like Alexander Hamilton, planters like Thomas Jefferson, and plain farmers like Daniel Shays and Joseph Plumb Martin.

Those colonists who remained loyal to the British Crown called themselves Loyalists or "Tories".

In addition, many people remained neutral or said nothing.

Many Patriots were active before 1775 in groups such as the Sons of Liberty. The most prominent leaders of the Patriots are referred to today by Americans as the Founding Fathers of the United States.

Derek,
Could be the camera or does that trade ring have red stones on the sides of the big green one? Interesting if it did since they are usually green, blue, or clear. Great early coppers!
Dave.

OP
OP
Derek752

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Muddyhandz said:
Derek,
Could be the camera or does that trade ring have red stones on the sides of the big green one? Interesting if it did since they are usually green, blue, or clear. Great early coppers!
Dave.
Hey Dave ...

Big green in the middle and tiny reds on both sides..( my camera is old and gets picky sometimes ) the ring is pretty small, I think it could only fit a childs pinky.
Never detected it..found it when it fell out of the dirt scraped from the fireplace.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep coming back ,great explanations and/of site recovery examples 8) SOLID!!!!

OP
OP
Derek752

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Display Of British BlockHouse Finds ( More photots )

Close up of trade beads

Attachments

• Beads[1].jpg
    Beads[1].jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 3,026

trashdude

Nov 21, 2007
Cocoa, Fl
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, XLT, QXT, Beach Hunter, Vibra-Tector 730
Just once, I'd love to dig in to something like this. WTG Derek. ;D

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Derek752 said:
robfinds said:

Robert from England.

Hello Robert..I agree 100% and I dont suffer from amnesia just an occasional brainfart or STM but I know the whys and reasons ..
Patriots (also known as Americans, Whigs, Congress-Men or Rebels) was the name the colonists of the British Thirteen Colonies who rebelled against British control during the American Revolution called themselves. It was their leading figures who, in July 1776, declared the United States of America an independent nation. Their rebellion was based on the political philosophy of republicanism, as expressed by pamphleteers such as Thomas Jefferson, Alexander Hamilton, and Thomas Paine.

As a group, Patriots comprised men and women representing the full array of social, economic, ethnic and racial backgrounds. They included college students like Alexander Hamilton, planters like Thomas Jefferson, and plain farmers like Daniel Shays and Joseph Plumb Martin.

Those colonists who remained loyal to the British Crown called themselves Loyalists or "Tories".

In addition, many people remained neutral or said nothing.

Many Patriots were active before 1775 in groups such as the Sons of Liberty. The most prominent leaders of the Patriots are referred to today by Americans as the Founding Fathers of the United States.
Hello Derek, Thanks for the reply, It's just that I think when People worldwide now talk of the British they always think of its ruling classes. No credit is given to the normal hard working Brits that helped to build nations often over comming massive odds in the process. It's a great shame that Britain is always remembered for the actions of it's ruling classes and not it's people. Will America go the same way ?.

OP
OP
Derek752

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
[/quote] Hello Derek, Thanks for the reply, It's just that I think when People worldwide now talk of the British they always think of its ruling classes. No credit is given to the normal hard working Brits that helped to build nations often over comming massive odds in the process. It's a great shame that Britain is always remembered for the actions of it's ruling classes and not it's people. Will America go the same way ?.
[/quote]
Well Robert do a thousand good deeds but just one wrong-doing and you are condemed.
What I've read imposed taxes,like the tea tax, were so small it would have amounted to less the $2 per person a year.
And America was'nt really a concept untill the late 1760's after the F&I war. I find it all fascinating ! I love digging the relics and such but I find the history just as exciting and I spend hours & hours reading first hand accounts of "colonials" and their hardships.

We discovered this site,which first were 2 British blockhouses long before the F&I war, and the fort built at request from the Iroquios to William Johnson.I admire him in the fact that he was revered by the indians and was acceoted as a brother.
And thanks to his meticulous record keeping he wrote one small paragraph that led us to finding the spot!

I appreciate your replies !

Merry Christmas to you and family !!!

D.

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Very nice finds and work on the recovery.. It sounds like the same little spot i found one time close to me .. But yours was much better.. I like the part about the trenches, i had to do the same thing ,sometimes the targets are deeper then the machines will go.. Did you use a sifter for the beads or just see them..I have found a few but nothing like that.. Later/ relicdude

OP
OP
Derek752

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
RELICDUDE07 said:
Very nice finds and work on the recovery.. It sounds like the same little spot i found one time close to me .. But yours was much better.. I like the part about the trenches, i had to do the same thing ,sometimes the targets are deeper then the machines will go.. Did you use a sifter for the beads or just see them..I have found a few but nothing like that.. Later/ relicdude
Hey RelicDude...
This site taught us alot. It'll always be a mystery why finds were 2 feet deep ,and others on the surface, How the fireplace turned out so many finds.
It was farmland / pasture for about 175 years after the fact and my conclusions are that the farmer altered things just enough but once we knew what we had visible clues were everywhere ( sometimes cant see the forest for the trees ) like earthworks and heck even the original river road came to the site and then wound down the hill eastward. and in early spring you can see the wagon wheel ruts.

When we learned there were trade beads in the dirt we brought kitty litter buckets, fine mesh spaghetti strainers,filled the buckets,hauled them to the river,found a nice comfy rock to sit on, and a hand full at a time washed the dirt away in the strainers and picked out the beads occasionally having to grab everything and run our butts up the hill whenever a yacht going full out 30 knots would blast up river :D

Maybe you could try that method... ;)

Happy Holidays !

D.

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Thanks Derek..I will try that at one of my best and only spots i have found the beads.I would just dig test holes. And search the piles and hole with my detector, the color of the beads would catch my eye. Thank you for the info ,and goodluck at the site... With all the beads it almost looks like a trade post??

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Derek, I am still amazed at the recoveries made at this truly virgin site. For about a week, I have been changing back and forth between backgrounds, but I always seem to come back to your picture of the finds. Yes, I currently have it as my background picture.

Keep up the fever high, man.

Bone Dry Detecting...zoyster

OP
OP
Derek752

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
zoyboy said:
Derek, I am still amazed at the recoveries made at this truly virgin site. For about a week, I have been changing back and forth between backgrounds, but I always seem to come back to your picture of the finds. Yes, I currently have it as my background picture.

Keep up the fever high, man.

Bone Dry Detecting...zoyster
Thanks Zoy...Glad you like the find photos....

I will add more when I get home ( out working delievering to the good boys & girls at walmarts ) I have the majority of the finds from the site stored in a nut,screw,bolt container type thing with drawers ;D

jridg

Dec 8, 2007
San Diego, California
Detector(s) used
Cobra Beach Magnet, Whites Bullseye II
Amazing finds! Do you mind telling us what state you found this all in? It's truly incredible! I have begun doing a small amount of research trying to find sites like this around here - not sure if I will succeed, but it's amazing all the same.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions