Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Its 0231 am and I'm kinda bored...So here is a "Best" of finds from our 2004 dig of a virgin site discovered through hours upon hours of research,hiking,and a bit of good luck !
Knew about where to look and finding tell-tale signs and clues and the sheer luck of digging a british copper which led to the discovery of the fireplace !

Spent 2 solid months excavating the fireplace ( about 4.5 feet deep and about 10'x10' feet wide ) and sifting the dirt and ashes.
It was an amazing discovery and we were like kids in a candy store ! Never knowing what was going to turn up next !

What is in the display is the best that I found and is a mere drop in the bucket of total finds.

In the display are a metalic and non metalic finds such as baby teeth,a cootie comb,flints,and trade beads and wampum along with spanish silver,musket parts,trade silver,British coppers ( oldest is King Willaim & Mary 1697 ),cuff links,buckles,jews harps, Jesuit trade rings,crucifixs,and even a lead pencil !

Second photo is of some of the iron ( iron relics dug in between the 10,000 square nails ) my favorite being the flintlock mechinism !

Third & forth photo is a Duke of Cumberland battle of Fonteney victory medal
Fifth photo is the 4 reale cobb I dug. ( 1749 )

And finally the last photo is the sheet silver crucifix my partner Rock dug..It is a beautiful piece and has very attractive ornat etchings ! To this day I fell it is his best find ever !

The only bad thing about finding such a site is eventually the finds end and your left wishing someday you'll discover another site like it !!

HH everyone and Happy Holidays !!

D.

Attachments

• Picture_032.jpg
    Picture_032.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 3,842
  • ironrelics.jpg
    ironrelics.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 3,828
  • Picture_045.jpg
    Picture_045.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 3,822
  • Picture_046.jpg
    Picture_046.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 3,816
  • cobb.jpg
    cobb.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 3,789
  • cross1.jpg
    cross1.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 3,772
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Derek752

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
jridg said:
Amazing finds! Do you mind telling us what state you found this all in? It's truly incredible! I have begun doing a small amount of research trying to find sites like this around here - not sure if I will succeed, but it's amazing all the same.....
No problem jridg
We found the site in upstate Ny in the Mohawk valleey close to the river.
Good luck with your research I have no doubt you will find the same ! ;)
And you'll learn as you go , I've learned you can be 50 feet from a treasure trove and still miss it , seems in my experience the percentage of finds are concentrated in a general area and beyond imaginary perimeters finds drop off dramatically , and clues can be very subtle,so always keep your eyes open wide ;) and read history till your eyes water !!

Good luck and Merry Christmas !!

jridg

Dec 8, 2007
San Diego, California
Detector(s) used
Cobra Beach Magnet, Whites Bullseye II
Thanks Derek - great advice.

Part of the problem out here seems to be that most of what may have been built on and then abandoned has been re-built on......ah well, back to my searches ;)

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Derek, since I believe that this one of the best posts ever on treasurenet, I voted for it to be in "The Best of Treasurenet" board. Once again, outstanding finds and research, man.

Bone Dry Detecting...KylePA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
zoyboy said:
Derek, since I believe that this one of the best posts ever on treasurenet, I voted for it to be in "The Best of Treasurenet" board. Once again, outstanding finds and research, man.

I agree with you, brother!

BDD...Kirk

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KirkPA said:
zoyboy said:

BDD...Kirk

You'll se my recommendation on the "Best of Tnet" board right above yours. This is a FANTASTIC post. Congratulations.

-Buckleboy

OP
OP
Derek752

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
zoyboy said:

Well Thank YOU Kyle for the vote ! I am sincerely honored but this is a old find from 2004,and I dare not think I compare to most of the AMAZING finds here in Tnet

I loved everything were recovered there but I always considered the site itself the best find ! We were always standing on a spot that saw many trials and tribulations of a growing nation !

Again Thanks for the vote...means alot to me !

Have a FANTASTIC Christmas !!

D.

OP
OP
Derek752

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
KirkPA said:
zoyboy said:

BDD...Kirk
Kirk...Thank ya fellow MD'er and coppa finder of PA...VERY MUCH appreciated !
I will post more photos of secondary relics we found , quite an undertaking simply because most everything is safely stored away in drawers and I only have my finds,not including my huntin partner Rocko's finds !

I wish you a Joyus Christmas !!

D.

OP
OP
Derek752

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Way Too Long Elf-Name Guy said:
KirkPA said:
zoyboy said:

BDD...Kirk

You'll se my recommendation on the "Best of Tnet" board right above yours. This is a FANTASTIC post. Congratulations.

-Buckleboy
A Hearty THANK YOU Buckleboy !! ( Way Too Long Elf-Name Guy )
I never expected votes for "Best of Tnet" !

You guys are all invited next fort site I find ! YES ! ( and I'm bloodhound close to at least one for certain if not two !! )

Merry Merry and a Happy Happy !!

D.

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Derek752 said:
Way Too Long Elf-Name Guy said:
KirkPA said:
zoyboy said:

BDD...Kirk

-Buckleboy
A Hearty THANK YOU Buckleboy !! ( Way Too Long Elf-Name Guy )
I never expected votes for "Best of Tnet" !

You guys are all invited next fort site I find ! YES ! ( and I'm bloodhound close to at least one for certain if not two !! )

Merry Merry and a Happy Happy !!

D.

Derek, I can't wait to hear about your finds from these new sites. Hopefully, you and BDD will both be posting many great coppas and 1700s Colonial wilvers in 2008.

I just narrowed down a 1776-1814 tavern site the other day. If we obtain the necessary permission, I have no doubt that we will excavate many coppas, wilver, and relics.

Keep the Colonial fever high, man.

OP
OP
Derek752

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a colonial fever at or about 105 cegrees !

8)D. ;)

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely incredible job researching, finding and excavating that site! :o Great finds!

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Derek, here is to a great site. :occasion14: I am looking forward to more Colonial artifacts coming out of the Mohawk Valley in the near future. :thumbsup:

Kyle

Bruce Dickinson

Jan 23, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Very nice finds. When ever I start getting a little discouraged I turn to treasure net and read neat posts like this to get me fired back up. Thanks for the post.

OP
OP
Derek752

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd like to thank everyone for the kind words and replies !! :hello: :notworthy:

This site will always be the highlite of my hunting colonial sites

Just goes to show these unknown hidden long forgotten places are out there and if a if dummy like me can find one :thumbsup: LOL

HH !!

Derek :icon_jokercolor:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread