Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Its 0231 am and I'm kinda bored...So here is a "Best" of finds from our 2004 dig of a virgin site discovered through hours upon hours of research,hiking,and a bit of good luck !
Knew about where to look and finding tell-tale signs and clues and the sheer luck of digging a british copper which led to the discovery of the fireplace !

Spent 2 solid months excavating the fireplace ( about 4.5 feet deep and about 10'x10' feet wide ) and sifting the dirt and ashes.
It was an amazing discovery and we were like kids in a candy store ! Never knowing what was going to turn up next !

What is in the display is the best that I found and is a mere drop in the bucket of total finds.

In the display are a metalic and non metalic finds such as baby teeth,a cootie comb,flints,and trade beads and wampum along with spanish silver,musket parts,trade silver,British coppers ( oldest is King Willaim & Mary 1697 ),cuff links,buckles,jews harps, Jesuit trade rings,crucifixs,and even a lead pencil !

Second photo is of some of the iron ( iron relics dug in between the 10,000 square nails ) my favorite being the flintlock mechinism !

Third & forth photo is a Duke of Cumberland battle of Fonteney victory medal
Fifth photo is the 4 reale cobb I dug. ( 1749 )

And finally the last photo is the sheet silver crucifix my partner Rock dug..It is a beautiful piece and has very attractive ornat etchings ! To this day I fell it is his best find ever !

The only bad thing about finding such a site is eventually the finds end and your left wishing someday you'll discover another site like it !!

HH everyone and Happy Holidays !!

D.

Attachments

• Picture_032.jpg
    Picture_032.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 3,842
  • cross1.jpg
    cross1.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 3,772
  • cobb.jpg
    cobb.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 3,789
  • Picture_046.jpg
    Picture_046.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 3,816
  • Picture_045.jpg
    Picture_045.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 3,822
  • ironrelics.jpg
    ironrelics.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 3,828
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Derek752

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
And finally the last photo is the sheet silver crucifix my partner Rock dug..It is a beautiful piece and has very attractive ornat etchings ! To this day I fell it is his best find ever !
feel^
OOPS !

OP
OP
Derek752

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Display Of British BlockHouse Finds / Photos Of The Site And The BIG Dig !

Thought I'd add a few pix of the area and us ;D

We spent countless hours cutting and chopping and chainsawing the thick brush to get to those ungettable spots !

Thats Rock working under my makeshift tent ( It was summer and deathly HOT !! )

And one of me in my treasure huntin coveralls holding that big cobb !!

Attachments

• 2004e.jpg
    2004e.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 3,715
  • 2004d.jpg
    2004d.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 3,735
  • 2004c.jpg
    2004c.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 3,751
  • 2004b.jpg
    2004b.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 3,753
  • 2004a.jpg
    2004a.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 3,761
  • 2004f.jpg
    2004f.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 3,701
OP
OP
Derek752

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
plehbah said:
That is a beautiful grouping of items. Some more close up pictures would not be too much.
Sorry...I had to downsize some of the photos and the pic of the iron as you can see is marked with stickum's of vital info as to where found and such and is a dead give-a-away of the exact spot and I kinda sorta want to keep it a secret. Maybe if everyone likes the post and wants more pix I'll add better ones....Thanks ;).

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice ! ;D Now I'm jonesin bad to get out detecting,darn'ed frozen ground ! :P :'(

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome site pics. Must be fun to dig a site like that after some extensive research. Congrats.

colonial relic hunter

Nov 26, 2007
Harrison city, Pa
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X3 & X2 and X5. Whites spectrum & silver eagle ll. Garrett ADS 4.
Thanks for sharing your finds and your expeditions with us! It's quite the relic hunting expedition we all someday love to find and hunt. It reminds me of the early 90's when some of these sites still exists. Now you'll find hunted out ones. But there is a few that are still out there. You are proof of that! Thanks again.

Bill(pa)

Derek752 said:
Its 0231 am and I'm kinda bored...So here is a "Best" of finds from our 2004 dig of a virgin site discovered through hours upon hours of research,hiking,and a bit of good luck !
Knew about where to look and finding tell-tale signs and clues and the sheer luck of digging a british copper which led to the discovery of the fireplace !

Spent 2 solid months excavating the fireplace ( about 4.5 feet deep and about 10'x10' feet wide ) and sifting the dirt and ashes.
It was an amazing discovery and we were like kids in a candy store ! Never knowing what was going to turn up next !

What is in the display is the best that I found and is a mere drop in the bucket of total finds.

In the display are a metalic and non metalic finds such as baby teeth,a cootie comb,flints,and trade beads and wampum along with spanish silver,musket parts,trade silver,British coppers ( oldest is King Willaim & Mary 1697 ),cuff links,buckles,jews harps, Jesuit trade rings,crucifixs,and even a lead pencil !

Second photo is of some of the iron ( iron relics dug in between the 10,000 square nails ) my favorite being the flintlock mechinism !

Third & forth photo is a Duke of Cumberland battle of Fonteney victory medal
Fifth photo is the 4 reale cobb I dug. ( 1749 )

The only bad thing about finding such a site is eventually the finds end and your left wishing someday you'll discover another site like it !!

HH everyone and Happy Holidays !!

D.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im loving the musket side plate and frizzen assemly :o
KICK ASS SCROUNGE 8)

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Derek, you are a top-notch researcher, my man. Have you guys ever found a British silver coin of that era?

Bone Dry Detecting...zoyster

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Hey, Derek, you really are an awesome detectorist! Could we see a close-up of those British coppas? Congrats on the finds!

BDD...Kirk

Vrent

Nov 30, 2004
surfside beach sc
nice finds and real nice display..I really like the beads in the upper left, are those all the beads you found? Are they bone, stone, shell?

excellent research, you have us all drooling

HH Vrent

OP
OP
Derek752

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Gypsy Elf said:
What a great story and interesting array of relics. Congrats on such neat finds!Would love to see more...
Thank You Gypsy Elf ...I'll get more pix up soon as I get my butt home :)

OP
OP
Derek752

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Bacon Sweater Vest Pork Chop Pants Veal Socks said:
Im loving the musket side plate and frizzen assemly :o
KICK ASS SCROUNGE 8)
Thanks !....Finding that assembly was definately a Highlite of the finds ! It was dang near a foot deep !

OP
OP
Derek752

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
zoyboy said:
Derek, you are a top-notch researcher, my man. Have you guys ever found a British silver coin of that era?

Hey Zoyster ...I know your the long-lost colonial site finding hound dog yourself ;)
Never found a British silver there,only Spanish reales and cobbs but the site aint hunted out
You can take a shovel and dig a trench anywhere there and find a coin or relics. But the finds have decrease dramatically since 2006
( I dug alotta trenches )

OP
OP
Derek752

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
KirkPA said:
Hey, Derek, you really are an awesome detectorist! Could we see a close-up of those British coppas? Congrats on the finds!

BDD...Kirk
No problem Kirk...more pix soon as finish work and drive the long drive home..

Thanks and Merry Xmas !

OP
OP
Derek752

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Vrent said:
nice finds and real nice display..I really like the beads in the upper left, are those all the beads you found? Are they bone, stone, shell?

excellent research, you have us all drooling

HH Vrent
Hey Vrent...All of the pony beads are import trade beads and made of glass ( In the book "Indian Trade Relics" / Lar Hotbem there are photos of the same type ) but the short purple/white 'barrel' type are wampum made from conchshells (sp?) (so I read) and the 'Y' called a final is bone I think

I built a sifter and hung it from a tree close by and we sifted the dirt from the fireplace but never found any of those tiny beads and when we discarded the sifted dirt we poured it down an incline about 50 yeards away but in such a away that the dirt made a trail about 50 feet long.

As luck would have it I took a friend to the site and he noticed all the white specks all over the dirt trail ( it had rained hard off and on ) and he knew what they were. Soooooo make a short story long I got the bright idea of getting kitty liter buckets and fine mesh spaghettie strainers and hauling the buckets to the Mohawk river and one handfull at a time washing the dirt away in the strainer and picking out the beads AND we'd crawl over the dirt with paintbrushes and dust...So far I have a count of +/- 2000 beads and Rock I think maybe +/- 1200

I estimate about 5 tons of dirt came from the fireplace of which we strained about maybe 1000 pounds.
So still plenty of beads still in all that dirt !
Happy Holidays Vrent ;)

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Derek, I love reading about your finds, because you have the same Colonial style as my buddies and me. Was this site private property?

OP
OP
Derek752

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
zoyboy said:
Derek, I love reading about your finds, because you have the same Colonial style as my buddies and me. Was this site private property?

Yes...I originally sought the owner of some land directly south of the area where we found the blockhouse...turned out he owned all the land AND worked at the same place I do and was cool with us doing anything we wanted !

It took alot of variables to all click together for us but you see the results ! ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread