CM Berry Saloon Token

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Hey, dudes, I wanted to post one of my favorite tokens. I found it at an oooold area at a depth of 5". The target was buried deeply under numerous large rocks.

As stated by an expert, "Casper M. Berry was listed as an "agent" at 555 South Second Street in Philadelphia, PA in 1848. However, his saloon was located at the corner of Chesnut and Fifth Streets. Rich Hartzog's current price guide to Brunk's Merchant and Privately Countermarked Coins lists the "Chesnut Saloon" countermarked coins at $150-250."

It is counterstamped on a 2-Reales. :o :) Just think what I thought when I dug it, "Spanish wilver!" Then, when I saw what happened to it, "Oh ***k!" :D Then, when I read more about this CM Berry dude, "Hell yeah!" :D

Keep the passion high, dudes!

BDD...Kirk

P.S. Pardon the other wilver coins in the pic. :D

coins012.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
stevesno said:
Very cool and unique. I wonder how many were made?....Steve

I don't know how many they stamped. I bet there are quite a few under the sidewalks on those streets. ;) :D

BDD...Kirk

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An interesting post and a great find, bud. Do you know what type of coin was most frequently counterstamped by them? If they were a mid-1800's business, I would imagine they'd have used Seated coins much more frequently than Reales...although reales were in circulation until then. Cool!

-Buckleboy

OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Way Too Long Elf-Name Guy said:
An interesting post and a great find, bud. Do you know what type of coin was most frequently counterstamped by them? If they were a mid-1800's business, I would imagine they'd have used Seated coins much more frequently than Reales...although reales were in circulation until then. Cool!

-Buckleboy

Buck,

I don't know which coins they mostly counterstamped. The 2-Reales has no detail, so I am guessing it is from the 1770s. It was carried for a long time.

What makes this counterstamp even more interesting is the fact that it was found about 3 hours from Philly. So, some dude had a drink at the saloon, got the token in change, and ventured his way to Williamsport, PA. LMAO In the future, he then tripped down a hill and the token dropped out of his pocket. :D

BDD...Kirk

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KirkPA said:

-Buckleboy

Buck,

I don't know which coins they mostly counterstamped. The 2-Reales has no detail, so I am guessing it is from the 1770s. It was carried for a long time.

What makes this counterstamp even more interesting is the fact that it was found about 3 hours from Philly. So, some dude had a drink at the saloon, got the token in change, and ventured his way to Williamsport, PA. LMAO In the future, he then tripped down a hill and the token dropped out of his pocket. :D

BDD...Kirk

Nice item. I have a few countermarked coins both silver & coppers. They were done at a similar period over here - mid 19th century.

Remember with your theory, that the guy/girl that got the token from the saloon may not be the one who lost it. Could have passed many hands & many miles.

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
CRUSADER said:
KirkPA said:

-Buckleboy

Buck,

BDD...Kirk

Nice item. I have a few countermarked coins both silver & coppers. They were done at a similar period over here - mid 19th century.

Remember with your theory, that the guy/girl that got the token from the saloon may not be the one who lost it. Could have passed many hands & many miles.

Thanks, dugfinds, it is a unique find. ;D

BDD...Kirk

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Relic Kirk, one question though, how do you know it is a Spanish Two Reale and not a foreign or US silver coin? Size, weight, some tell-tale detail left on it?? Curious minds want to know. :)
Oh, dang that thing is dirty!! :)

Don

OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Don in South Jersey said:
Great Relic Kirk, one question though, how do you know it is a Spanish Two Reale and not a foreign or US silver coin? Size, weight, some tell-tale detail left on it?? Curious minds want to know. :)
Oh, dang that thing is dirty!! :)

Don

Don,

It is the size of a U.S. quarter. It is thin, like a worn 2-Reales. Also, on the other side, there is some smaaalllll detail, but very difficult to see. This detail indicates it is Spanish.

Just like John Walter would state, "Noooo, I don't clean my coins. It devalues the value!" :D

BDD...Kirk

OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Don, here is a picture of one. I also saw one that was counterstamped on a 1774 two reales.

BDD...KirkPA

Attachments

• cmberry.jpg
    cmberry.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 415

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I musta missed this token post ...NICE token !
Interesting trip it took from Philly to Williamsport.
I wonder whats at Chesnut & 5th now ?

Merry Merry !

D.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest: