Amazing coin found at Bastogne in Belgium

bastognee

Dec 21, 2007
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbee here, my name is Pierre and I live near famous Bastogne in Belgium. Most of my leisure time is dedicated to hunting relics of the battle of the bulge. Recently I stumble upon this coin ring lost by an american soldier in a fox-hole near Bastogne and thought some pics were worth to be posted here.

Ot was made from a british 2 shilling coin of 1942.

Enjoy.

ps : I'm using a garrett gti 2500 ... but with the tremendous amounts of shell splinters here, I often have false positive signals, anyway, it's a great detector in my opinion.

thanks for this GREAT website.

Pierre

Attachments

• ringo1.jpg
    ringo1.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 2,394
  • ringo2.jpg
    ringo2.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 2,858
Upvote 0

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Hi Pierre!!
Welcome to TNet!!

That is a wonderful find. Definitely worthy of the BEst Finds section.
Congratulations and thank you for sharing.

If that ring could talk, the history it could tell.

Smiles!
BDoo

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from the UK.

Nice piece of history. 8)

I have often thought about making one of those rings. I have plenty of coins to choose from :D

OP
OP
B

bastognee

Dec 21, 2007
Hi guy !

I posted my first message on this forum less than an hour ago and her are two replies already ! GREAT COMMUNITY, THANKS !

My latest best find in the battle of the Bulge area near BASTOGNE is featured on youtube :

I hope you enjoy it.

Sorry for my approximate english.

Best regards to all,

Pierre

Elvis

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Lafayette, Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Nokta Simplex+
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandfather was at the Battle of the Bulge, I would love to have th chance to md there. Please post more finds!!!!! Congrats.

Born Free

Oct 27, 2007
Davenport, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't find the words for what you found. The only comfort is that he died quickly, but they would not have even had anything to send back to his family. If I lived where you do, I would MD there very day. Americans are fascinated with WWII and esp the Battle of the Bulge. Please keep posting your finds! I don't know which is more fascinating, the ring or the ID tag and the soldier's shattered equipment. Since we do not have any WWII relics here, we need you Europeans to find them and post them on TNet.

And your english is better than many Americans here on TNet! ;)

dakotama95

Feb 26, 2007
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, White's DFX
Thank you for the post. you have some really nice finds. Have you tried to find the family of the soldier?

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
A very special find Pierre.
Makes me think of the perhaps tragic tale behind the ring :'(

Welcome to Tnet :) ......

Zalig Kerstfeest

D. 8)

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find and very historical! My wife's grandfather fought at Normandy and through the Bulge and got frost bite in the forest there.He almost lost his left foot but they saved his foot but he had no feeling in his feet due to the nerve damage. He just turned 86 and is one true hero in my book. He don't talk much about the war but he has shared a few stories with me .My wife and I drove through Bastogne and then to Waterloo about a year ago and walked the battle fields and went to a couple of local musems and it was a very moving couple of days I will never forget. Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas.

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007
Artillery killed most of the soldiers in WWII, I think it would be very special of you to send these artifacts to his family. I am deeply moved by your find because it is a voice calling from the past for a proper burial. Maybe he has a tombstone in Bastogne? Maybe he has a tombstone in the US somewhere? Many of the soldiers hit with the vast artillery barages of WWII were just atomized to put it bluntly. I think that someone might get some closure by you sending these artifacts to his family. I grieve for this infantryman 63 years after his passing. Amen.

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Pierre :)

A welcome to the TNet from Denmark !

Very nice and interesting find you got there !! :)

Regards
agersea

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
that video stopped me in my tracks. :'( the bracelet given to him by his wife must have been a prized possesion. very very sad. and to be killed 2 days before Christmas............

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bruizr

Feb 4, 2006
Poplar Bluff, Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, 'big bud' by bounty hunter, aqua vision
thanks for sharing. my wife's dad fought at the bulge and was wounded. he carried shrapnel in his body till he died a couple years before we met so i never knew him. she said he got frost bite pretty bad too and would cry out his friend's name that was killed next to him in his sleep sometimes. seeing your post is like getting a glimpse of what they all went through.

Thomas007

Aug 29, 2007
Glouster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Posted on Youtube by Julz2218

Thomas Gent was my great great uncle. He died on Christmas day. I never knew him but my family just got a letter the day before Christmas telling us that his things have been discovered in Belgium. What a great gift for our family.
----------------------

As a side note, my father fought at the Battle of the Bulge. He never discussed it too much until I was snagged by the military in the early 60's. He then opened up much more feeling that he might say something from his war experiences that would help me to survive mine. He did have some interesting stories of non combat occurrences for the rest of the family.

Sanat

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Amazing story with a bit of a happy ending for the family. The video was extremely moving and makes you thankful for all the heroes that fought the evil of the day! I think this is a BANNER story for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread